Cliffed Out...Sheep Hunters Rescued

Snyd

WKR
These guys were fortunate...close call. Glad they made it.

These guys were fortunate...close call. Glad they made it.

My bros!

Htm84

WKR
One of the first “rules” of mountaineering is don’t go down what you haven’t gone up. The pic makes it look like a pretty serious cliff face but I don’t understand how these guys couldn’t climb up and out. Climbing down is a million times harder than climbing up.

BAKPAKR

WKR
One of the articles said they were “following a sheep.” I wonder if they shot a sheep and were trying to recover it? Sounds like a job for @Grant K.

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
I’m trying to figure out what was on the cliff that would have caused them to go over?

My son and I were out in the yard that day when the two military helicopters flew over our house, and I made the comment that I was betting that they were going to pick up an injured sheep hunter. If they were stalking a sheep, or going to go and try to recover one, why would they even consider shooting something in that kind of terrain?

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
Pararescuemen (PJ’s) are amazing.
Not sure if those sheep hunters (using the term sheep hunter loosely) have all of their faculties to have gotten in that situation in the first place. Still need to comprehend what they thought they were trying to accomplish ,

Individuals do not get a bill btw. The rescue unit is the AK State ANG, and they exist up there solely for this reason. LOTS of people get in over their heads in the AK backcountry, ALL the time. The 176th stays really busy.

who pays for the rescue?
I know the USCG will send you a bill if you have a medical emergency offshore.
maybe Alaska needs to tighten up licensing with better regulations

Incorrect statement.

USCG does not bill anyone.

It is U.S Law and Coast Guard policy.

They do not want to associate a life with money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk