Climbing Sticks

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
The tree saddle guys like Tethrd have exploded this market. There are some ultralight high end sticks out there now. If you don't own sticks now I would highly recommend a style with a rope and cinch cam. No straps with buckles clinking around while walking or setting up. For a reasonable option look at the Muddy Pro set. These have been popping up on Camofire occasionally.

OP
The tree saddle guys like Tethrd have exploded this market. There are some ultralight high end sticks out there now. If you don't own sticks now I would highly recommend a style with a rope and cinch cam. No straps with buckles clinking around while walking or setting up. For a reasonable option look at the Muddy Pro set. These have been popping up on Camofire occasionally.
Thank you! I looked at Muddy and Shikar. Both look really good.

OP
Thank you! I’m definitely looking into all options as I have been looking at Muddy and Shikar. Looking for a more mobile unit for 2020

tntrker

WKR
I went with the Muddy sticks as I like the rope option on them. Buying any of the other sticks, some at $80+ each, you'd still be spending at least another $20+ each to make the rope mod instead of the ratchet...

Beendare

WKR
I have a few sets of sticks, the Hawk Helium's are my favorite. I swapped them to the rope mod with amsteel.

FWIW, I definitely prefer the sticks with double pegs over the staggered style even if they are a little heavier.

______

I have the Muddy Pro Cam sticks, and really like them. They don't stick together super well, and I use them with an XOP stand, but a bungee cord gets it taken care of just fine.

Rmrnr

FNG
I have a set of XOP sticks and thought the worked fine. I bought a set of Hunting Beast steps when the first came out, and never used the XOP's again. I really like the double step.

I have the XOP steps and really like them especially used in conjunction with my XOP Vanish Evolution. I'm not a saddle guy, nor do I do crossfit.. lol jk jk... I have friends who swear by the Hawk Helium and Beast sticks

joe2687

FNG
I have the muddy pros and would recommend those. They are not the lightest but the cam system is worth it with a double step.

I have been wanting to try the beast sticks tho.....but to me I cant justify the extra money.

SoDaky

WKR
Have Muddy Pros and LW.Like them both but unless going 'deep'(defined as a mile)often use Millenium ladder 'sections' that are sturdy and cheap(about $19 a section).Bungee 3-4 and not a problem-and I'm old.Wusses need not apply.
Also,in some areas I may leave the higher ones if going to come back.No fear of big $$ loss if stolen.

Last edited:
I am a big fan of the full size Lone Wolf Sticks. If you look at weight/length there really isn't a weight advantage going to the mini sitcks. For me I can use 4 LW sticks and get 18 feet high or use 6 of these mini's to get to the same height.

I am not comfortable using aider's after my first two sticks and I currently just use one on my first one because I don't really need to use anymore.

When they make a full size sick that is actually lighter than the LW then I will be interested. I don't mean advertised weights either.

Also, I use my climber whenever possible. Lighter, easier to set up and quicker. Can't be more mobile/lighter/compact/quiet than a nice climber.

I love my Beast Sticks. They are built to last a lifetime and weight 2# ready to hunt. Hawk Helium’s are good but there is a difference in quality from the Beast Sticks. The hawks offer a good value though.

Meshnasty

Lil-Rokslider
I hang a new set for each hunt and I've been using the Hawk Heliums for the last couple years now. I don't think I could use a set of sticks that doesn't have double steps just for the ease of hanging your stand.

I started carrying four sticks, but typically only carry three now. Very few times have I actually needed the fourth stick. I do hang my first step as high as I can climb onto it though, which is typically eye level or above depending on what I have for boots that day. I can easily get the platform of my stand 16' high by stretching my sticks within reason and hanging the stand above my last stick. It's not the safest way to enter the stand, but if your 100% tied off your not going to fall. I've never had my LW kick out on me, but I always run two straps. My buddy had his XOP kick out once doing this with one strap, but he was tied off.

I have started looking for trees with cover opposed to just getting higher. I shot my buck this year at 8 yards and was maybe 12' off the ground. He never knew I was there.

Attachments

• 04BA8F94-C879-4DE8-8608-5B041CA1293F.jpeg
    04BA8F94-C879-4DE8-8608-5B041CA1293F.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 76