Climbing Sticks

Macintosh

WKR
Update. Got over the sticker shock and after a phone call with one of the guys there who assured me that if I had a problem within 3 years they would take care of me, bought a set of 4 c1 carbon fiber timber ninja sticks with the cable aiders. When I looked I actually found very little first-hand experience with these sticks so I figure others might have some of the same questions I did. Have now used the C1 sticks for most of a season, probably hung and climbed up/down in the field on them about 25 times--some update here for anyone considering.
I mainly hunt larger areas of public land where a mile+ approach is standard, and I cant sit still too long and dont enjoy hunting the same set over and over, so a light, highly portable and snag-free tree-stand/saddle setup for bowhunting was my goal. Among others I already have a set of lone wolf sticks, as well as a single-stick setup and practice using it, reasons for buying these were to reduce packing size and weight compared to the LW sticks to minimize snagging while walking through brush, while also reducing the physical movement associated with single-stick climbing. despite 30 years rock and ice climbing and being physically fit and practicing quite a bit, i found single stick climbing to make a bit more noise and require a bit more movement than regular sticks and although the weight is awesome I was not really happy with it for a day-in, day-out climbing system.

I have factory cable aiders on all 4 sticks, and I use an amsteel daisy to attach all 4 to the tree. The entire package of stick, 8' amsteel daisy with bungee/ball keepers, and cable aider is 1lb 7oz on my kitchen scale, so 5.75lb for the set of 4 (to compare, my one-stick and rappel rope/tether is about 2.5lb, so even one-sticking would only save me about 3lb ) . If you are used to a 3-step stick then with the aider these ARE a 3-step stick, so however high you get with those is how high you'll get with these.
I'm using a simple 3/4" strap with a fastex buckle to hold them together, I shorten the aiders and loop them over the step to keep them compact, and then I strap that package and a hip-pack to my stand, or I put them and my saddle in the load-shelf in my MR Pop-up pack for the approach. Generally I'm liking to carry them horizontally and low across my back--they touch my elbows occasionally but it doesnt affect walking and I find this to be the best way to duck under and through thick brush without snagging behind my head and making noise, and they just barely fit over the sides of my smallest stand, a novix helo. I cant do this with any other stands I own, even a XOP vanish is a bit too wide which forces me to carry them higher than I like. One reason I did not go with the LWCG sticks/stand was because those are made to be carried vertically on the stand in a way that the offsets protrude to the side up by your shoulders and is more prone to snagging and this low horizontal carry has proven to the best solution I've found.
The TN folks told me they were fine to paint and wouldn't void the warranty, so I rattle-canned them with automotive primer. I didnt really care about the color, but they were fairly shiny--It works fine and cut the glare from the raw carbon fiber and it hasnt chipped off enough to matter, I doubt I'll bother to touch-up within the next couple years.
I am finding the offset brackets to grip the tree fine. With the amsteel daisy if you dont get it snug there can be a bit of sag when you set it, so if you snag the stick with a toe or a haul rope later while it isnt weighted it can loosen significantly, but I have not noticed any difference in this department compared to other sticks I have used.
The 2 main complaints I have heard were around the size of the steps and offset-distance from tree, and on the flex of the molded steps. I am 6'3" 200lb, and generally climb with my pack on--I figure I'm at least 220 with boots, clothes, pack, saddle, etc climbing the tree. Size 12 boots, either uninsulated rubber boots or 1600g rubber boots, so while I'm no giant I'm also not miniature. I have not had any problems with the offset distance and feeling insecure--on the contrary I think the sticks climb fine and I would not have commented on this at all except that I found others commenting on it when I searched for other users experiences.
Regarding the molded steps, they DO flex, and I CAN feel this when climbing. The guy I talked to at timber ninja told me this would be the case and that they do it to prevent them from cracking, and to make sure that the steps fit on the stick given the manufacturing tolerances in the molded material. The sticks also came with paperwork essentially telling you they would flex and that this is inherent in the design and not a sign of weakness. This made sense to me so it's been a non-issue. If I hadnt known ahead of time I'm sure it would have caused a phone call, but so far so good, they flex a little but no signs of wear or fatigue and I consider this a non-issue. So far I am happy with them and given the same priorities I would not hesitate to make the same purchase again. Hope this helps someone.

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for beast sticks. Super light abd very well built. Perfect size to fit on your pack.

For value hard to beat helium’s.

The C1s are on my short list. But like you sticker shock is real. I’ve got 3 step lone wolfs and 2 step xops with cable aider but after this year and putting some serious miles on with my current setup I’m looking for lighter stands and sticks. It helps that TN moved to about 15 minutes from my house now.

ApeComic

FNG
As others have said, the cinch style is best but you can mod almost any sticks to work off of just a single rope.

The C1s are on my short list. But like you sticker shock is real. I’ve got 3 step lone wolfs and 2 step xops with cable aider but after this year and putting some serious miles on with my current setup I’m looking for lighter stands and sticks. It helps that TN moved to about 15 minutes from my house now.

I figured the timber ninjas would be more expensive than they are. They aren’t far off from EWO, beast, Shikars, etc.

dkime

WKR
Tethrd one sticks are the bomb.com if they ever come back in stock, I run them with my millennium

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I figured the timber ninjas would be more expensive than they are. They aren’t far off from EWO, beast, Shikars, etc.
ya there is a huge price gap between the low end heavy sticks and the high end light sticks. but all the high end light sticks are right there together in price. Timber ninja came out with the A1 this year to try and get into that mid range mid weight stick.

Here's a reminder to use a lifeline. Guy was climbing down when it happened. Said he was bruised and beat up, but otherwise ok.

20211104_183151.jpg

Said Beast sent him out a new step that night, but he lost confidence in using them. Returned them, stated the customer service was great.

Macintosh

WKR
some clarifications based on comments.
Yes, they flex, but its not the carbon that flexes. the steps are molded from some sort of polymer. Those flex a small amount. Flex prevents brittleness—the photo above could happen to any brand, and you wont feel it flex before it pops, so really to me that feeling of “solidness” in an ultralight stick is in your head anyway. you can feel it when you bounce on it but it isnt as bad as I thought it would be after reading some reactions. I can see why someone might not like it, but it just doesnt seem like an issue to me. I have a pair of the xop sticks that flex just as much or more than these (and weigh about 3x as much!)—knowing those arent designed to flex like these, that bothers me a lot more! I mentioned it because it has been a complaint I read about, but for anyone considering I would try them if you can before you let that keep you away. my reaction was “that’s it?? thats nothing”

re aiders: each step i got has ONE aider step. Im not using a 3 step aider. What I said was that these 2-step sticks with one aider-step each are effectively a 3-step stick, just without the added weight and bulk. The cables are somewhat stiff so there is much less of the “fiddle your foot into it“ the way sometimes happens with a web or cord loop.

the One sticks were crossed off my list because they dont stack vertically. That was critical to me so could pack them across my back the way I prefer. this is also one of the reasons i crossed the novix minis off my list. End of the day the only sticks I found that met my criteria were the timber ninja, shikar, and beast minis. I went with these because I shaved 3 lb off of a comparable setup. At least 4+pounds less than a set of hawke aluminum minis, and I dropped close to 5lb off a set of 4 lone wolf sticks. Nothing wrong with any of the above, just was not what I was looking for being in a different weight-class. I routinely carry my sticks and saddle or stand well over a mile and pretty much never leave it up, often over 2 miles, so a couple pounds and being snag-free while carrying is a big deal to me.

Last edited:
Here's a reminder to use a lifeline. Guy was climbing down when it happened. Said he was bruised and beat up, but otherwise ok.

View attachment 348317

Said Beast sent him out a new step that night, but he lost confidence in using them. Returned them, stated the customer service was great.
I’ve seen posts bend, bolts bend, stand-offs bend but never seen the step snap off. How in the world does that happen? How long has he had those sticks?

I’ve seen posts bend, bolts bend, stand-offs bend but never seen the step snap off. How in the world does that happen? How long has he had those sticks?

I don't know too much about it, a guy on a different forum had posted it. He was a bigger guy, but still under the weight limit by 15% or so.

Looks to me like over loading and a stress riser was created by drilling that step out to lighten it.

Aluminum acts differently than steel, it can fail from cycles without deformation. I can't remember everything that goes on, but it's differences in crystalline structure in materials.

I remember some bow risers years ago getting cracks in them, similar thing.

Yooper

WKR
Anyone want to talk me out of the LWCG 20" compact sticks with cable aiders before I pull the trigger? They seem to check all the boxes for me. Compactness and stackability being near the top.

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
I'm considering those or the double steps for next for compactness over weight.

Mtn_Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
Look into the Timber Ninja sticks. If you dont want to drop the money on their Carbon sticks, they have a newer aluminum option thats fantastic as well. Great group of guys there