Clothing Question

j33

WKR
Well besides a little bit of unnecessary drama it sounds like their is a pretty solid consensus that I’m not the only one experiencing continuous issues with First Lite quality.

With that being said, anyone know if Kuiu has become more open over the past few years on public land advocacy and conservation. Just saw they launched a new conservation directive. I left a length email with them to ask direct about their stance and involvement with conservational efforts and advocacy for keeping public lands public. I just recall them taking some flak years back on some questionable associations. Granted seemed like most of the chatter was seemingly more less gossip. I just really love their stuff, just curious if anyone has any below the surface knowledge of their dealings and advocacy on subjects or issues that affect us hunters and outdoorsman.

I’ll admit that was a nice aspect of First Lite is their unwavering stance on public lands and conservation. Just seems like apart from their competitors, they leave nothing to mystery when it comes to how they stand on public lands and conservation. Sure makes you want to stand behind the brand but the gear itself is questionable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They organized a Sheep transplant a few months back, not sure I've seen any other huntings take on a venture like this vs just giving % of proceeds to someone else?

OP
H
They organized a Sheep transplant a few months back, not sure I've seen any other huntings take on a venture like this vs just giving % of proceeds to someone else?

I saw that! Looked pretty awesome! Just wondering about their public land stance as well.

i wouldn't say a hunting company investing in pubic land hunting/ conservation is this great selfless thing. I mean i bet the tax benefits alone is worth it. For Example same goes with nuclear energy. It would behoove the natural gas/ coal mining companies to support and fund studies and projects to stop the building of nuclear plants. If we run out of public land then less average joes go hunting which equals less sales.

d_rek

Lil-Rokslider
I own a ton of first lite stuff. Some pieces have held up better than others. In two years of going head first into FL I have had to pull warranty once on a pair of talus touch gloves. The fingers started to explode and unravel rather quickly, but FL replaced them promptly. The only other piece that is showing visible wear is my catalyst pants. They are getting holes in the thighs and knees.m after two years of use. I probably wear these for 90% of my hunts.

I would say I’m neither ultra abusive or gentle with my gear. I spend probably 80-120hrs afield each year chasing various game and scouting here in the Midwest (whitetail, turkey, squirrel, grouse). Most of my FL gear is wearing exceptionally well all things considered. No I do not hard charge through briars or multiflora Rose because quite frankly I’m not sure what would hold up to that?

That being said I’m bummed to hear about so many having issues. I have had sizing issues with other brands (Kuiu is made for small people?) and I just flat out don’t like sitkas digital patterns. Hopefully FL reads this and takes these issues seriously, or they could see a sharp decline in sales. It’s threads and experiences like these that many, many eyeballs will see and make a decision on whether or not to purchase their gear.

Sent from d_mobile

Lowg08

WKR
I started buying up FL gear. Kanabs first, the zipper crotch blew out in one season, obsidian pants( I sold them way to baggy) kiln hoodie ( wore holes in the sleeve by just pulling it over my leather release strap. Klamath qz( actually a nice piece ) I have alleghany base layers (blew the crotch out in three hunts) fuse top( still in use no defect). I to wish they had more windstopper components. I also wish they offered a synthetic bottom. For example a klamath base bottom. I believe they have great merino but the crotch just doesn’t hang in there

knock on wood, but i also have not had issues with any pieces from FL. other than some pilling on my kiln from where my bino harness was rubbing but nothing crazy. (knocking on wood).

Love their merino. Chama hoodie is one of my favorite pieces of clothing I've ever owned.

Have some corrugate guide pants I've had for like 4 years. I wear them primarily in thorns and deadfall. Little wear and tear on the legs from rough country. Top pockets are ripped open at the inner mesh seam. Not a huge issue, but it does suck only being able to use my lower zip pockets.

Have a cirrus puffy I really like. Light as hell and makes a great pillow. I used it as my rain jacket for a few years as well.

That said. I will most likely be switching pants to another company eventually. Unless there's some upgrade to the pocket mesh design. I like the pads in the Sitka stuff.

Will for sure get more FL wool stuff though. And could definitely wear the corrugate guide pants in a solid as a everyday pant.

Fusion is my favorite camo pattern.

I really like and own several sets of FL merino base layers.
My pants hoodies and jackets are sitka. There is a reason.
I had 2 sets of first lite raingear that the chest pockets on the jacket just fell off leaving a gaping hole. Each time I was offered a 45% off retail replacement to purchase. Not good enough for me so in the trash and switch brands.
The boundary stormtight pants are about as durable as a cheap sandwich baggie. In the trash again.
Lots of better options out there today. I moved on.

Pramo

WKR
The clothing sizes are odd at best and I've had much better luck with Sitka, kuiu and arc'teryx durability. Once they posted social justice stuff I won't support them anymore.

d_rek

Lil-Rokslider
The clothing sizes are odd at best and I've had much better luck with Sitka, kuiu and arc'teryx durability. Once they posted social justice stuff I won't support them anymore.

What SJ stuff are you referring to?

Sent from d_mobile

d_rek

Lil-Rokslider
I’m curious as well! lol didn’t know FL got into anything SJ.

The only thing I’ve seen from them has been conservation and outdoor legislation related. I know they partner with BHA in a lot of things and depending on where you get your information from you might not agree with that partnership, but I’ve never seen anything (at least recently) where FL has taken an overt stance on some of the hot button SJ issues in the US.

Sent from d_mobile

FL better act ASAP. Lot of people reading this thread. I see business/$$ going elsewhere.

I like the base layers. I did switch to Sitka in 2019. I still run ASAT gear but when that fails>>>> well we know what they did with ASAT. No replacements.

SJ? Haven't heard that yet but interesting.

I like this forum when it applies to hunting and outdoors. Bring in SJ or politics I lose my interest quickly. Unfortunately, everything lately gets twisted in one way or another. SMH

mlgc20

WKR
I really wanted to like FirstLite. Their camo pattern if by far the one I like the best. But for me, the quality/durability just hasn't been there compared to Kuiu, Sitka, or Icebreaker (for merino items). I don't even consider FL anymore when looking for new clothing.

Baselayer merino is good material but their sizing was historically terrible. I haven't bought base layers from them in a couple years so cant comment on new stuff. Have 3 medium Chama's, all notably different in size but baggy in the body while a medium llano was basically a compression fit..

Circa 2015 uncompahgre has been a great and versatile jacket.

Corrugate guide pants stitching came out almost immediately.

Boundary Stormtight rain jacket was a sieve almost immediately. A $40 frog togs is more useful than that POS.

I still use Sanctuary bibs/jacket for MN whitetail. They probably aren't the best build quality but they are well designed and I like them for northwoods sits.

Also still use chamberlain jacket. The arms were seemingly underfilled with next to no insulation in them but it's still a very functional furnace.

Long story short, they make some nicely designed products but I don't have much faith in their quality control and purchase accordingly. The boundary stormtight was such a POS that I'm a long way from considering their rain gear again.

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
Baselayer merino is good material but their sizing was historically terrible. I haven't bought base layers from them in a couple years so cant comment on new stuff. Have 3 medium Chama's, all notably different in size but baggy in the body while a medium llano was basically a compression fit..

I have recent versions (last year or two) of 3 different weight merino shirts of theirs, the Klamath hoody, and the Solitude jacket and they all fit very similar. In my estimation the fit issues of the past have been solved in at least those pieces.

Last edited:

d_rek

Lil-Rokslider
I have not experienced the sizing issues others have. I am taller/bigger guy (6’2”, 235lbs, long limbs, torso, 40W 32/34 inseam.).

With the exception of the wick like the tops all fit me like a dream. Wick in my normal size is skin tight, but one size up is perfect. Pant sizing has not been an issue. Obsidians I wear XL but catalyst I needed 2XL. Everything else I would say is true to size.

Sent from d_mobile

Pramo

WKR
I’m curious as well! lol didn’t know FL got into anything SJ.

Just some stuff on instagram, posting black out pictures and saying to vote people out of office yada, yada. Not all of them but a few of the main guys, when I see that type of thing and I check out and go elsewhere.