CO Elk next week-what to expect

This is the latest I've ever been in CO Elk hunting and was just wondering what to expect in terms of Elk behavior.

Without many details, I would say elk will be all fuckerd up from the muzzy guys. In my experience it's the toughest week of Colorado archery season to find elk. If you're having a tough time you might be inclined to check out areas that prioritize security a little more than regular September places.

bozeman

WKR
mountain-forecast.....someone on here recommended to me.....I use it daily, 5 days before leaving for a hunt

svivian

WKR
Im going to say that you lucked out depending on where in the state you were hunting. The last two weeks were extremely hot and throw in a full moon the elk were not as active as prior years. Now that it has rained and temps have dropped significantly It is looking promising for this weekend.

Mike1187

Lil-Rokslider
Elk are going rut no matter the weather on the mountain, that’s what they do this time of year.
DosPerros is right, there are more hunters this week due to the overlap of Muzzleloaders being in the woods. You may find elk have been pressured and pushed to other areas. However, most importantly stick to you hunt plan until you discover a need to change or move.
Also, I think WYTX is saying be prepared for weather, showing up otherwise will not be pleasant. Depending on the area and elevation, some are getting a dusting of snow and daytime temps are significantly lower than a week ago.

Good luck and grind it out!

BDRam16

WKR
Heading out Saturday morning for the rest of the season. Hoping to catch some coming back out of hiding from the muzzy guys the first couple days.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
CO is such a wide scale when it comes to terrain but at 7k feet it has still been in the 90s the last few weeks. Yesterday morning it was 45 when I left my house so I would have to bet the bulls are going to be fired up for the remainder of the week heading into the weekend!

jkilburg

FNG
I’d expect some different elk patterns due to the muzzleloader crew being in the woods. We had frost at 10,000ft on Sunday morning, and that day was the only day we saw elk. We didn’t hear any muzzleloader shots, but they certainly were wandering in trucks, ATV’s, or on horses depending where you were.

Hopefully cooler weather and waning full moon ramp things up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C
I was in for the hot Temps and full moon and it was pretty much dead. I just started hearing bugles and was on a bull for an hour the last morning before I had to leave. I know the area well and know where they hide. I just wasn't going there yet knowing I had lots of time yet and better weather to come. Good thing is no one but me in there.
Edit: 11000 feet.

Bearsears

WKR
I agree with a lot of whats already been said. The elk will be messed up for a few days from muzzy but in my experience, by mid week they are back to normal vocal patterns. Definitely need to get into more sanctuary spots. With the moon phase and equinox coming I think it has potential to be a good week. All of this is just speculation and distraction anyway. Hunting hard and smart trumps a lot of the perceived issues with pressure etc. As example, I helped a buddy on a bull elk hunt 2nd season last year in one of the most heavily hunted OTC units here. On Friday after almost a full week of heavy pressure, we still glassed up a nice 6, two miles down a really popular trail and we were glassing only maybe 200 yards off the trail. There was just nobody left hunting, most had tagged out or given up. They are there just have to fine em.

Jaquomo

WKR
Know that elk cycle around, and will move to where they aren't bothered, whether 8 miles in or 80 yards from a road. Pressure aside, they will drift around in a loose route within their territories even without hunting pressure. Where they weren't yesterday, they may be today.

Two years ago a spot I was hunting had elk early, but they got pushed "somewhere" during ML week. After the pumpkins left, a herd moved back in and it sounded like Yellowstone one night, just up the hill from a popular road. A young guy camped near me (most bowhunters had given up) raced up the hill early and killed a bull out of that bugle fest.

Two days later I killed a bull 250 yards from a very popular county road. The herd bull and satellite were bugling their heads off as traffic drove by the evening before and the next morning, when I killed mine. Cows were feeding 60 yards from the road at first light when I circled around them to get the wind right for the bull.

I've arrowed a alot of elk in OTC public land areas in CO which is to say I know the drill. You can expect a ton of people, shellshocked elk from the ML guys, and some carcasses as well. Anything different, keep it to yourself and ride that wave as long as you can because it will change next year!

Good luck, have fun.

gobears870

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in SW CO this week and hunkered down in the tent right now with hard rain and wind. Monday and Tuesday we had good bugling at sunrise, quiet all day after that. Rain started Tuesday night/Wednesday morning; nothing sounding off that day. We’ve only gotten close to a group of spikes and got busted by something big walking a logging road. Hoping when the weather clears overnight they’ll be moving again tomorrow morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk