Going elk hunting in Pennsylvania!

wyogoat

WKR
10685906c1f000bdb24edd9df69bb369.jpg

Here’s one from yesterday. What’s this guy scoring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. Solid bull and tough to tell from the pic but a 6x7? I’d say in the 370s from that pic.
And the 400 bull from above? Those main beams would score 400. Great bull…

10685906c1f000bdb24edd9df69bb369.jpg

Here’s one from yesterday. What’s this guy scoring?

That's a pretty good representative of a PA bull. A few get bigger. My best friend's father drew an archery tag this year and went with Trophy Rack Lodge. They burned a lot of boot leather during the week and passed on quite a few shot opportunities before killing a bull of this caliber on the last morning. It all on depends on where the elk are in relevance to ease or hardness of the hunt. I don't know the zone or any of the zones for that matter, very much, but the vast majority of the elk aren't the same as what you view around Benezette area; they can very wild. Enjoy the hunt and report back how it turns out!

ArcherAnthony

Lil-Rokslider
I was just up there Deer hunting with my Dad and Brother in unit 2G. There are some absolute giants up there! Good luck to you guys.

OP
B

buckwalleye

Lil-Rokslider
Any update on the hunt so far?

We haven’t got one yet. There’s been 4 bulls and 5 cows killed from our outfitter so far. Saturday morning at first light, we walked right up to a group of 7 bulls. There were 2 pretty good ones in there. And my buddy is very much regretting not shooting one now. They’ve since crossed zone lines. Yesterday evening we were close to 3 bulls (sub 200 yards). Best one was around 300 inches and did not shoot.

OP
B

buckwalleye

Lil-Rokslider
Well, he got one last night. It’s been an experience. Ended up getting him at the same farm where we saw the 8 bulls that first morning.

So I have been to Colorado elk hunting twice - an OTC archery, and a 1st season rifle. Both diy, and both tag soup. So obviously I don’t have much elk experience. But, this PA hunt was insane. One day we were just walking down a path, and just walked up on 12 bulls that were downwind of us the whole time. He was able to set a shooting tripod up, and watch all the bulls walk across the path 90 yards away right in front of us. Compared to my Colorado hunts - where I was able to glass a small group of cows with a rag horn from a mile away on an opposite ridge - and feeling accomplished that I was able to see elk though my binos - this PA trip was crazy. Over the 3 days of hunting I think we were within 200 yards of 20-25 different bulls. However getting one over 350 inches did prove to be somewhat challenging. The area isn’t crawling with 350+ bulls. In our zone I got the impression there is maybe 3-5 bulls of that caliber. And there were some properties we weren’t able to access that the bulls definitely could’ve been in. My buddy is happy with his bull and the experience.
378c350b0648335912d3ed96fbf68e55.jpg

c6d03d06a1febcc3d9063266ef989d1c.jpg

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats to your friend and sounds like a really enjoyable hunt to be on. That’s a great bull

slimbw3

FNG
He’s a beast!!! That’s amazing, congrats to your guys! I’m sure he appreciated you being there.

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Very nice bull, I am curious how they taste compared to elk out west. Looks like he's been eating in some kind of field. Do elk eat the acorns back in PA like whitetail? There are lots around there.