Going elk hunting in Pennsylvania!

buckwalleye

Lil-Rokslider
So a friend of mine drew a late season PA Bull elk tag, and invited me to tag along. Season opens this Saturday, then closed Sunday, reopens Monday. I’m not sure what to expect! The outfitter he’s using has been sending him pictures throughout the year of some absolute giants. Does anyone have any experience elk hunting PA? I’ve been down there a couple times to see the elk. They seem pretty accustomed to being around people. I have a feeling this isn’t going to be that challenging of a hunt. But I’m looking forward to coming home with some meat! Also wondering if these elk taste different than western elk? I’ll try to post some updates and pictures if anyone is interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fullfan

WKR
Drew a bull tag in 04, resulted in a DIY 407" 7x7. I hope that he is using the Elk County outfitters, they have been at it since the beginning of the Pa elk hunts. The hunt should, and I say should not be a real physical. Challange. If he is after a big bull, don't expect the meat to be fit to eat. My bull was ages at 10.5 years old. The meat was not fit to eat, my dogs got about 80% of it. The wife and I still spend several weeks camping in the elk range, some true monsters walk there. What zone did he draw ??

Also, not all the elk are accustom nor will they tolerate ppl. All depends on the zone drawn.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats to your friend and enjoy the experience. We were up in late October and enjoyed ourselves. Looking forward to hearing updates and hopefully seeing the results.

OP
B

buckwalleye

Lil-Rokslider
Drew a bull tag in 04, resulted in a DIY 407" 7x7. I hope that he is using the Elk County outfitters, they have been at it since the beginning of the Pa elk hunts. The hunt should, and I say should not be a real physical. Challange. If he is after a big bull, don't expect the meat to be fit to eat. My bull was ages at 10.5 years old. The meat was not fit to eat, my dogs got about 80% of it. The wife and I still spend several weeks camping in the elk range, some true monsters walk there. What zone did he draw ??

Also, not all the elk are accustom nor will they tolerate ppl. All depends on the zone drawn.

Zone 11. He’s using trophy rack lodge. Bummer about the meat!

Should be able to shoot an excellent bull, I live in the southern part of the elk range. Lots of big bulls around, we haven't had any weather yet so I'm sure the bulls are still well dispersed. Zone 11 has the Goshen area, which is heavy ag so I'd guess the big bulls are in that area. I know a few of the trophy rack guides, and they have access to a lot of private land in that area.

Fullfan

WKR
Zone 11. He’s using trophy rack lodge. Bummer about the meat!

Have some pics and video from several giants in zone 11. Dm me your cell and I will send them to ya. And any outfitter is better than none. They have local knowledge and access to property, being that they are local.

Some true giants live there, zone 11 is far removed from the popular elk viewing areas.

Should be a good time. Weather has been very mild here. Bulls are in big bachelor groups. He should sets his goal high, and not settle for a lesser bull.

My bull

Attachments

• IMG_0111.png
    IMG_0111.png
    925.5 KB · Views: 226

PSDBowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck to your buddy!

Interested to hear the story and see pictures.

I live just outside the elk zone. Would love to hunt them some day.

Lurch12

Lil-Rokslider
This is awesome and will be a good trip. My camp is over in zone 12. Trophy Rack lodge is a great guiding service. I've talked to them a few times, good people. The weather looks likes its going to be good for the season! Take pics and cant wait for the story. Keep us posted along the way!!

Ill be in camp for the next 4 days. Would love to see one in the back of a pickup!

OP
B

buckwalleye

Lil-Rokslider
Have some pics and video from several giants in zone 11. Dm me your cell and I will send them to ya. And any outfitter is better than none. They have local knowledge and access to property, being that they are local.

Some true giants live there, zone 11 is far removed from the popular elk viewing areas.

Should be a good time. Weather has been very mild here. Bulls are in big bachelor groups. He should sets his goal high, and not settle for a lesser bull.

My bull

Sent you my number. Freakin crazy bull dude. Congrats. Outfitter telling us there’s 2 bulls in the 375-385 range and one that’ll probably break 400.

Sent you my number. Freakin crazy bull dude. Congrats. Outfitter telling us there’s 2 bulls in the 375-385 range and one that’ll probably break 400.

I would have a really really hard time shooting a bull that wasnt in the 380+ range. There are definitely 400 inch bulls in that zone every year.

jdmaxwell

WKR
Always 2 sides to anything.
My bull was 10.5 yr old and every bit was delicious.. it is the cook that makes difference.

Also, I know alot about Trophy Rack and I would never recommend is all I will say.

PM if needed.

jdmaxwell

WKR

That 407" looks really weak to make that for sure..
But what do I know..

OP
B

buckwalleye

Lil-Rokslider
10685906c1f000bdb24edd9df69bb369.jpg

Here’s one from yesterday. What’s this guy scoring?

10685906c1f000bdb24edd9df69bb369.jpg

Here’s one from yesterday. What’s this guy scoring?

Hard to tell the score on one photo, but that's a relatively good bull in PA. I think you could likely do better though, unless they cant find a bigger one in that zone.