CO HB 23-1036 Lead bullet "trade in program"

What are they going to do with the turned in ammo? Sell it out of state? I wonder if LEO in Colorado have to carry non lead?
I’m sure some good idea fairy will tell them they have to destroy it. Cut each bullet in half. 🤣. It’s another excellent use of limited state funding.

Rich M

WKR
It's no secret lead is going by the wayside at some point. As the performance of copper is so off-putting, I am sure some will give up the sport instead of taking their animals year and in year out with monotonous regularity with those sub-par monos.
Funny - as you intended.

180 gr 300 mag Barnes ammo is $65/20 or $3.25/shell. About 1,000 rounds of ammo will be covered. 50 boxes.

There is no non-political reason to ban lead bullets. They don't ban cars that hit owls (happens a lot around here). They don't not do wind farms cause they kill eagles. It is just another feel-good step towards control. Hand-picked "science" that tells us the lead is too dangerous but the same folks can't define "woman". Yup.

Good points.

Why outlaw lead in water pipes, why outlaw lead in paint, why outlaw lead in gasoline, et al. Were those political? Being political would mean there's not a basis in danger or in this case, toxicity of lead. Either the danger exists or it doesn't.

Not saying animals or birds hit by cars or wind turbines isn't an issue but we're talking about lead in bullets and shot shells. Could also include millions of pounds of lead in fishing gear that sits at the bottom of lakes.

Good points.

Why outlaw lead in water pipes, why outlaw lead in paint, why outlaw lead in gasoline, et al. Were those political? Being political would mean there's not a basis in danger or in this case, toxicity of lead. Either the danger exists or it doesn't.

Not saying animals or birds hit by cars or wind turbines isn't an issue but we're talking about lead in bullets and shot shells. Could also include millions of pounds of lead in fishing gear that sits at the bottom of lakes.

Most anything our government does is political.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It goes without saying most of what the government does is political. The context of political in this case is picking and choosing what issues push a broader agenda and that's where banning lead in bullets has entered the political realm.

No one would disagree they'd rather shoot copper than not shoot at all.

Rich M

WKR
Good points.

Thanks for not taking it the wrong way. Kudos.

I am an environmental consultant. The lead paint, lead gas, asbestos, etc. had health affects to peopled. Yes i put higher priority on people than animals, always will. Your daughter means more than birds and mammals. ‘Nuff said. DDT and others to birds.

Now instead of lead we have PFAS. It is present in the rain in Antarctica, so probably “everywhere” at elevated levels. Not sure what has replaced DDT but do know ticks are killing off moose herds in New England.

I’m blessed to see flocks of birds, including many raptors that migrate S for winter. Love to watch them. Tons of bald eagles - amazing to watch them chase ospreys for the fish the osprey caught. Sorry, i digress.

There has always been a balance. Some folks seek a balance, others seek to over-protect a species at the cost of other species.

All Im saying os there there is a balance. We shoot steel and nonlethal shot for ducks & geese, so that is taken care of.

Now we want to ban lead totally.It may come. It wont be for saving the birds, it will be about disarming folks. Could require folks to bury the carcasses or guts. Then no bird issues.

What about habitat loss? That might be a larger killer. It is on the winter grounds for many snimal species. Farmers fences. Etc. i really do see a lot of vehicle killed owls down here. They come fown at sunset for crop rocks and then fly at the car lights…

All im saying is that there is a balance. We fish. They shut down red snapper and now the fish popoulation is out of whack. All we can get is red snapper. Less grouper or other snapper cause all the food has been eaten by the reds. Then the govt, in its wisdom, told us we have an unprecidented number of red snapper but they are overfished due to the release mortality. We fish for other fish and the red snapper are caught and released in such numbers that the low % of mortalities make them overfished. So we get a 1 day/yr season with a 28,000 fish cap.

Be very carrful if what you let the govt regulate. You will regret it.

Aint nothing wrong w lead bullets if people would just learn how to shoot and stop subscribing to the mantra of additional regulations.

bpa556

FNG
Thanks for not taking it the wrong way. Kudos.

I am an environmental consultant. The lead paint, lead gas, asbestos, etc. had health affects to peopled. Yes i put higher priority on people than animals, always will. Your daughter means more than birds and mammals. ‘Nuff said. DDT and others to birds.

Now instead of lead we have PFAS. It is present in the rain in Antarctica, so probably “everywhere” at elevated levels. Not sure what has replaced DDT but do know ticks are killing off moose herds in New England.

I’m blessed to see flocks of birds, including many raptors that migrate S for winter. Love to watch them. Tons of bald eagles - amazing to watch them chase ospreys for the fish the osprey caught. Sorry, i digress.

There has always been a balance. Some folks seek a balance, others seek to over-protect a species at the cost of other species.

All Im saying os there there is a balance. We shoot steel and nonlethal shot for ducks & geese, so that is taken care of.

Now we want to ban lead totally.It may come. It wont be for saving the birds, it will be about disarming folks. Could require folks to bury the carcasses or guts. Then no bird issues.

What about habitat loss? That might be a larger killer. It is on the winter grounds for many snimal species. Farmers fences. Etc. i really do see a lot of vehicle killed owls down here. They come fown at sunset for crop rocks and then fly at the car lights…

All im saying is that there is a balance. We fish. They shut down red snapper and now the fish popoulation is out of whack. All we can get is red snapper. Less grouper or other snapper cause all the food has been eaten by the reds. Then the govt, in its wisdom, told us we have an unprecidented number of red snapper but they are overfished due to the release mortality. We fish for other fish and the red snapper are caught and released in such numbers that the low % of mortalities make them overfished. So we get a 1 day/yr season with a 28,000 fish cap.

Be very carrful if what you let the govt regulate. You will regret it.

Aint nothing wrong w lead bullets if people would just learn how to shoot and stop subscribing to the mantra of additional regulations.

You greatly overestimate the number of waterfowl hunters who actually made the switch to “nontoxic” shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You greatly overestimate the number of waterfowl hunters who actually made the switch to “nontoxic” shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clarify. Is that to say guys are using lead shot where it is not permitted to do so?

Good points.

compare apples to apples

Again lets see the people dropping dead from all non organic linotype alloy lead over past 100 plus years.

your brake dust is 1000x more poisonous then linotype alloy shot. Yet…

Only birds that have high toxicity to lead is raptors. Even then allergy blooms are way more toxic to Eagles etc. and have a higher population affect.

Clarify. Is that to say guys are using lead shot where it is not permitted to do so?
lets be honest the lead shot ban for migratory was actually due endanger species act and eagle more the having and adverse population effect on ducks.

How many wardens can tell the difference in reloads of TTS, Bismuth and lead or nickel plated lead vs steel.

Apologies, was not reading it right. Was taking it to mean some guys stayed with lead shot when other shot options were being mandated.

Gingerman

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be sending my BIL 4K of military pull down 308s I bought 15yrs ago for trade in on some Hammers! LOL