Cold Plunges?

I can try that.
I know salt water obviously will get to a lower temp before freezing, but what would be the expected difference in temp from a frozen jug of tap water versus a frozen jug of salt water? Doing a google search shows that salt water ice can be actually below 0F. Is this correct?, My freezer is set for -5F.
Just curious, have you tried this and is this the case?
I do it all the time to make ice packs.

The concentration I have it has to be about 5° to freeze.

NB7

WKR
What's your formula? How much salt to water ratio?
And do you just use table salt, or some other variety?

I am trying to get into this but unsure of how to do it in a cost effective manner other than just turning the shower real cold… haha
Cold showers are the easiest and cheapest way to give it a try, but at least at my house the water doesn't get colder than 55. Some studies say the magic number is colder than 65, but 10 degrees makes a big difference. A shower doesn't hit the same way as a plunge, because the water is moving it transfers heat faster, but it's hard to really relax into a shower compared to a bath. Besides, for whatever reason standing in a cold shower for 8 minutes feels ridiculous and sitting in a cold tub doesn't.

I usually hit a cold shower before work if I go for a run, but it's purely a convenience thing.

What's your formula? How much salt to water ratio?
And do you just use table salt, or some other variety?
Morton salt. I guess that's table salt? We use a grinder on the table. Lol

I don't know the exact ratio. Add salt to boiling water until it's not dissolving well.

It's enough to freeze well in a regular freezer, but still colder than regular ice.

Reactions: NB7

SamG

FNG
Cold showers are the easiest and cheapest way to give it a try, but at least at my house the water doesn't get colder than 55. Some studies say the magic number is colder than 65, but 10 degrees makes a big difference. A shower doesn't hit the same way as a plunge, because the water is moving it transfers heat faster, but it's hard to really relax into a shower compared to a bath. Besides, for whatever reason standing in a cold shower for 8 minutes feels ridiculous and sitting in a cold tub doesn't.

I usually hit a cold shower before work if I go for a run, but it's purely a convenience thing.
This is golden, thank you! I will definitely be looking into it more after your reply. Thanks man!

nphunter

WKR
Way late but I've been doing this for years. I just use ice baths or cold rivers, a cold river is way worse than an ice bath because the water is constantly moving past and you don't get that small warm water layer around your skin. My wife is a marathon runner and has been doing ice baths for the last 20 years. Whenever I overdo it or just feel like I'm getting worn out I will take a 20-minute ice bath. During hunting season every few days after traversing steep nasty hills all day with a pack we find a nice cold creek and take a 20-30 minute sit in the water. Typically the creek water is around 50 deg so not like an ice bath but still plenty to get a good clean out of the muscles and joints. I've also sat in spring-fed water troughs when there are no creeks near the camp, normally if I come home during a hunt I will take a 20-minute ice bath before heading back to the woods. For me anything under 20 minutes has significantly less effect on muscles and joint relief.

chrism07

FNG
Just started doing my first cold plunge a few weeks ago. I had zero issues breathing at all and was able to make it 3 minutes not problem. Only issue i had was bad pain in my forearms and hands, had to take them out of the water half way through. I think it is due to poor circulation, but cold water plunges are supposed to help with that. So hoping that goes away over time.

Just started doing my first cold plunge a few weeks ago. I had zero issues breathing at all and was able to make it 3 minutes not problem. Only issue i had was bad pain in my forearms and hands, had to take them out of the water half way through. I think it is due to poor circulation, but cold water plunges are supposed to help with that. So hoping that goes away over time.
It went away for me over time, hands and feet were very painful early on. Zero pain at this point. Wife had similar experience.

mtbraun

FNG
Awesome to see so much interest in this topic. I've been doing cold plunges for about a year now and they are amazing. In addition to daily plunges, I'll also do a weekly protocol of 20 mins in 200 degree sauna, cold tub for 3 mins at 39 degrees, then repeat one more time. It's been life changing for me.

Awesome to see so much interest in this topic. I've been doing cold plunges for about a year now and they are amazing. In addition to daily plunges, I'll also do a weekly protocol of 20 mins in 200 degree sauna, cold tub for 3 mins at 39 degrees, then repeat one more time. It's been life changing for me.
I'd be interested more in how it has been beneficial and life changing for you sir? If you care to share with us thanks.

dtrkyman

WKR
I have been going out on my balcony in the morning catching the sun rise and standing in the single digit wind chill. Not likely as effective as a plunge but it is definitely cold, just wearing shorts and staying out 5 minutes.

May try throwing a wet towel over my shoulders?

Brooks051

Lil-Rokslider
I have been going out on my balcony in the morning catching the sun rise and standing in the single digit wind chill. Not likely as effective as a plunge but it is definitely cold, just wearing shorts and staying out 5 minutes.

I’m no doctor nor scientist, but I’d assume any cold exposure will at least give you some of the benefits. Maybe they aren’t as good as sitting in a tank everyday, but I’d think you are still doing good for you and your body.

ArcherAnthony

Lil-Rokslider

I would say that is comparable to cryotherapy just not as cold. It's definitely not going to hurt you.

mtbraun

FNG

That's not going to hurt you, but suspect you'd be better off in a cold shower. I've tried cryotherapy a number of times and the benefits are far less than cold water exposure (shower or tub, doesn't matter) due to water's ability to conduct heat.