Colorado 170+

I’m an elk junkie. So it’s easy for me to save my deer points. I just can’t seem to skip a year of elk hunting. I have 7 deer points in Wyoming so region G is tempting me. I know it well too because I hunt elk there as well as in H.

Off the top of my head I don’t know how many points I have in Colorado. Probably around 7 or 8. I’m not even close to being ready to burn them. I want a truly good hunt with good odds for a quality buck. A late season hunt is what I’m thinking although those eastern plains hunts are on my radar. I don’t know much about them or Colorado in general.

My question is how many points do you think I should have before I even start looking at where I might hunt. When that time comes I’ll be looking for nothing but a 170 or better buck.

There is “general season” or over the counter units where it a guy hunts hard he can shoot a 170 inch deer. Points don’t automatically equate to a unit with bigger bucks, sometimes it just means a hunt with less hunting pressure.

Colorado doesn’t have general seasons but good bucks (170”+) come from a lot of units that can be drawn with a few points during the easier to draw seasons. I see it every year.

cmbbulldog

Lil-Rokslider
The best time to kill a big buck is very early or late. Early you can scout and find the one... probably the best chance. Later means closer to the rut, but can be weather dependent and in some cases date dependent.

OP
Indian Summer
There are reasons it takes more points, or max points for certain licenses. Sometimes it easier hunting. I don’t care about that. Sometimes less pressure so good chances at slightly above average animals. Not interested in that either.

Sometimes it means better dates such as the rut or late so animals are on the move and more concentrated giving hunters a chance to look over more animals and therefore shooting the best an area has to offer. I am interested in that.

And sometimes it does actually mean that it’s in a unit with some of the best genetics and biggest animals that state has to offer. We’re all interested in that right.

I’m a pretty serious and capable hunter. I outfitted in Montana for quite awhile. I have all top of the line gear. I can ride and pack horses. I’m looking for suggestions on places where 200 inchers exist. Like Wyoming region G or Montana’s 270 unit.

Sure I could pour over the statistics but they don’t always tell the whole story. That’s what forums are for.

CO2130

WKR
If you are very fit and/or have horses, mules, goats, etc. and know how to use them I’d take a very serious look at high country early rifle hunts. You’re getting somewhat close to being able to draw most of those. Most take place in wilderness areas only or above tree line only and in my opinion this is one of the best chances at a true 200”+ deer. You can scout and pattern a deer and when in velvet they spend a lot more time in open areas. I can’t even take a guess as to how many of the 180”+ deer are killed in Colorado before those later seasons roll around (not to say they aren’t good hunts). I’m just someone who is huge on scouting and hunting before the hunt actually begins (having a deer found and ready to kill opening day if at all possible). After that I’d look into eastern CO with an outfitter or try to do some research on units that hold the type of terrain your used to hunting and know how giant bucks in that terrain act. I’m drawn to desert areas as that’s the type of terrain I best know for big bucks. The NW corner of the state is known for being good along with the eagle and gunnison valleys, although they are all on somewhat of a decline in mosts opinions. I’d sign up for gohunt and definitely be ready to put in some scouting regardless of if your scouting actual deer or just the terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
Plains are 99% private. Take few points, but without access you have nothing. Go early and high and west.

Colorado doesn’t have general seasons but good bucks (170”+) come from a lot of units that can be drawn with a few points during the easier to draw seasons. I see it every year.
I didn’t realize he was talking about just Colorado. I can’t speak to Colorado too well, I hunted it once a few years back and it was 70 degrees in November and saw more hunter orange than deer. Needless to say, I’m not a Colorado deer fan after that.

coues craze

Lil-Rokslider
Some good advice given above about the high country early rifle hunts. If you can scout during the summer to locate a couple bucks those early hunts can be golden. If you want to show up to a unit a day or two before season I’d go third rifle, but at 7 points you are kind of in no mans land. You don’t strike me as the type of guy wanting to go guided, but if you did I’d go eastern plains.

ckleeves

WKR
Personally I would be looking to draw something soon. Between the later season dates coming up and the amount of high country tags being issued deer quality is going to be going downhill in the near future. Sure there will still be some big deer being killed but just in general I don’t think it will be the same. Just look at the bucks that are being killed on the HC rifle tags now compared to a few years ago then kill a few more mature bucks during 3rd-4th and see what it looks like.

Jd259

WKR
I think if you look at the draw stats from Colorado you’ll see your way off from being able to draw any of the premium units where “200” deer exist” and sitting at 7-8 points you may never even catch them in your lifetime and your are at the bottom end of the early rifle hunts one of the easier ones to draw drew out at 8 or 9 this year and it’s by far not one of the premium early rifle hunts... that being said 7-8 points will get you into plenty of units where there are big deer... hell its Colorado they kill 200+ inch deer on 1-3 point units damn near every year and the occasional 300” deer in those units as well id just dump them in a unit that you could possibly scout a few times if your thinkin early rifle or just roll the dice on the best 3rd season tag you can draw and hope for weather.

CO2130

WKR
7 points is enough for a high country unit that holds some of the biggest deer in CO and that holds most of the summer grounds for a very famous late season unit. It’s some of the must rugged terrain in CO and many who hunt it almost can’t even find deer. If you know what you’re doing and are willing to work there’s some absolute monsters there. On top of that he did say he wasn’t looking to burn his points soon so he could easily wait another 7 years or so and draw most any early rifle tag he’d like. Like some others said, don’t try to chase those 20+ point units. You won’t catch them anytime soon and there are plenty of hunts that much bigger deer are killed on.

Jd259

WKR
7 points is enough for a high country unit that holds some of the biggest deer in CO and that holds most of the summer grounds for a very famous late season unit. It’s some of the must rugged terrain in CO and many who hunt it almost can’t even find deer. If you know what you’re doing and are willing to work there’s some absolute monsters there. On top of that he did say he wasn’t looking to burn his points soon so he could easily wait another 7 years or so and draw most any early rifle tag he’d like. Like some others said, don’t try to chase those 20+ point units. You won’t catch them anytime soon and there are plenty of hunts that much bigger deer are killed on.

Never said he couldn’t draw an early rifle tag but when he mentions he’s looking for a unit that is known for consistently killing 200” deer none of those lower tier units come to mind don’t get me wrong I’m sure there’s some bombers in those units if you know the area and put your time in. He also has to account for the point creep which is insane now so there’s no way if he waits seven more years he’s gunna draw a unit that draws out at 14 this year. I’ve been chasing a middle or the road early rifle high country hunt that drew 100% with 8 points two years ago and I didn’t draw with 10 this year...

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I can't imagine having that many points in CO for deer. It truel is a must hunt state for me every year so I never build points. Even zero point units hold mature bucks and I believe every unit in CO holds 200"+ bucks. I have hunted 4 different units over the past 5 years and have been able to find what I am looking for in each.

With your points you could hunt some amazing areas that will provide the class of buck you are looking for with some effort but you could see the same of better in 2021 on a hunt with zero points.

OP
Indian Summer
Ok let me say a few more things.... I live in Pa. With work there’s no way I can scout pre season. I think I’d rather spend all of the time I do have actually hunting.

I’m 54 so I won’t be able to do two serious high country hunts that take 10 or more points in my lifetime. That’s why I don’t care if I have so save another 7-8 points to make the most of a hunt down there. Colorado will be one and done for me so I’m going to do it right.

I’m well aware that there are access issues on the plains. I am definitely capable of doing high country hunts on my own so I can’t see paying an outfitter. But I would consider shelling out some cash for access to land that I can’t hunt without one. I see it as being the same as all of the folks who are good deer hunters but pay to go to places like Kansas and Iowa to be able to put their skills to work. If I do end up with a guide he’ll probably have fun guiding me. A guide guiding a guide would probably be a blast.

I like open or at least semi open country. So a plains hunt, a desert hunt, or one above timberline is right down my alley. Locating a mature animal is the name of the game. Sneaking through cover isn’t the way to do it. Being able to glass your ass off is. That’s how I punch my elk tags. Anyone who has ever stared through binos and a spotting scope knows that it’s work. It’s also not something that you’re a pro at your first time and even the best glass doesn’t make you good at it. It’s a skill just like hunting and shooting.

So far there’s been some good feedback here. I appreciate that! Lots of the comments were what I expected. I find that it’s easier to get information on hard to draw tags. Nobody is going to tell you about a place you can hunt every year on an OTC license. It’s probably the place they hunt right! But if a guy knows about an area where you’ll be lucky to hunt one time he’s more likely to help another hunter out if he can.

ELKMO

FNG
I went early and high in 2017 with close to your points. Took a 202” buck on the 2nd day. That would be my recommendation.

Wow! I'd like to see that buck...care to share a pic?