Colorado Archery Elk Season Insect Issues

Rucker61

WKR
This is my first year archery hunting for elk. How bad are the insects at 8k-10k during September? I'll be hunting around Walden. I'm not going to haul the nest for my SL5, but if the bugs are bad I'll either get a perimeter skirt or a bug bivy of some type.

A couple years ago while scouting along the Continental Divide the skeeters and bitin flies were horrible in late July. When Sept came rolling around they were nearly non exists t

KMT

WKR
During the first week of September, you could find yourself being eaten alive by mosquitos. A week later you probably won't see any. It depends on the weather.

Craig4791

WKR
Something to think about....

A bug bivy will not really protect you from mosquito's they will get you right through the netting if it is laying close to your body. If it has tie points your better off.

jmez

WKR
Same experience as trophyhill the last couple of years in Co. We usually hunt second or third week in Sept.

Walker6

FNG
We hunted down around Pagosa Springs last year during the last week of August. There were no mosquitos at all. I slept in an SL-5 fly and had no problems with bugs. I took some insect repellent but never once used it. My guess is the mosquitos were hanging out with the elk somewhere. :\

MTNRCHR

Lil-Rokslider
I have never had much trouble with skeeterz during archery season, but I have fought them in a few areas during the summer.

huntography

Lil-Rokslider
I camp in the Never Summer area a lot and hunted there last year.

Have you thought of Thermacell? Not sure they work at that. 9000 elevation but just a thought.

Rudy

OP
R

Rucker61

WKR
I camp in the Never Summer area a lot and hunted there last year.

Have you thought of Thermacell? Not sure they work at that. 9000 elevation but just a thought.

Rudy

Yes, we've looked into it. Not very effective at our altitude, which is a pity considering the favorable reports I've seen on them.

endorice

Lil-Rokslider
They can be an localized issue prior to archery season. Depends on where you are. By the time season starts, I've never had a problem either.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Glen we are heading in on the 5th when you going? I can text you from the field when we get out there.

James

ScottP

WKR
Will the first folks up the mountains this weekend let us know how things are going, bug-wise?

they are few and far between now... mostly in the low areas. We've had several nights below freezing earlier in the month which has probably helped.

gelton

WKR
I was in colorado this year in mid July. Found that the only time Mosquitos bothered me was early morning and right before dark and while a nuisance they didn't bite much. Compared to the Texas coast where there are so many Mosquitos that they can pick you up and carry you away, it was a breeze.

bnsafe

WKR
I went up in july an the mosquitoes ran me out, literally. last year during season no bugs morning an nite, tons of meat bees during the day.