Colorado game processor

BRDNG154

FNG
Any recommendations of a butcher for elk from say Eagle, Co towards Denver along the I-70 corridor?

thanks & good luck to all

pumaa7

FNG
MeatCleaver was not cheap but did a pretty good job on my elk last year

Ucsdryder

WKR
They are but man processors in general went up so much the last 2 years it's hard to even gauge anymore. I go to Crippens in Lake George and I swear he's up 30%+ since 2021
I remember going to reliable in Fort Collins. I believe they were .89 a pound and they did an awesome job. Steve’s was around 1.50 at the same time period, not sure what they charge now. Most of the people using them are outfitters that don’t really care what it costs or guys bringing one animal every 3 years. Once Reliable closed up it forced me to do it myself. I’ve been doing it the last few years. After my supplies it saves me about 700-1000 a year and I do sausage which I never did when I was paying to have it cut. Moral of story, DIY if you can.

Steves is just ok, and at a premium.
5280 is better, but stupid expensive.
I used Steveings in Kersey once, in 2013.
They were reasonable and quick.
Not sure if they’re still processing wild animals,though.
I’ve heard good things about Arapaho Meats.
Good luck

cgippe

Lil-Rokslider
I agree Steve's is expensive but haven't found a good alternative. Arapahoe in Erie sucks IMO.

PassCreek

FNG
If you're using Steve's Meat Market, make sure you make an appointment online vs just showing up. The reservation slots fill up quickly which can really complicate dropping meat off. The reservation system really threw me through a loop the first year I just showed up after they implemented the reservation system. They won't take fully frozen meat either (during their busy season anyway).

I've used 5280 before and they were nice and did good job. Their pickup hours felt kind of limited.

My wife prefers Steve's so that's usually where I go.

AG8

Lil-Rokslider
Steve’s puts out a good product, and is pretty easy to work with. Do be aware though, that the ground from Steve’s is mixed. Like someone above said, really not many great options around.

Steve’s puts out a good product, and is pretty easy to work with. Do be aware though, that the ground from Steve’s is mixed. Like someone above said, really not many great options around.

Yep, forgot about the mixing thing.
That’s gross, imo.
Totally unacceptable, in fact.

That’s why my buddies that used 5280 were ok with their rapey price…they promise every animal is done individually and there is no mixing of meats.

If you don’t like the price then diy. Amazing how many want quality work for cheap. 🤣 or how many don’t understand that prices for supplies have gone through the roof as well as employee wages. I went up to $1.00/lb for domestic and a plant near me is $1.15/lb. I also charge for all the extra specialty sausages and jerky. A slaughter fee and a disposal fee. Costs about $10k a year to dispose of all the ofal, bone/fat. The few WG animals I process once in a while now get a price tag of $1.50/lb.

cnelk

WKR
I think everyone should process a big game animal DIY.

The appreciation factor would be much higher for paying for a processor

If you don’t like the price then diy. Amazing how many want quality work for cheap. 🤣 or how many don’t understand that prices for supplies have gone through the roof as well as employee wages. I went up to $1.00/lb for domestic and a plant near me is $1.15/lb. I also charge for all the extra specialty sausages and jerky. A slaughter fee and a disposal fee. Costs about $10k a year to dispose of all the ofal, bone/fat. The few WG animals I process once in a while now get a price tag of $1.50/lb.

My buddy had 5280 basic process a quarted and skinned cow ~$600

My other buddy had 5280 process a quarted and skinned bull and had about 40 pounds of product made
~$1050

I personally process my own,..but tape and paper ain’t that expensive.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I think everyone should process a big game animal DIY.

The appreciation factor would be much higher for paying for a processor
Have done several over the years, when I was single and lived with hunting buddies, now I completely understand that most of that money is paying for my convenience and I’m fine with it. 5280 was cheaper than Steve’s when I used them. Both did an acceptable job and I don’t mind using either

I started doing my own processing a few years ago when Arapahoe Meats in Erie was too full and couldn't take our 2 elk. My buddy and I each had one so we bought a grinder and some big ass cutting boards and got to work. I really like the product better. Way better in fact.

Actually, tape and freezer paper are expensive. So is freezer plastic, seasonings, electricity, gas, water, wages, disposal, insurance, etc. It’s all gone up so the price has to reflect that as well plus a profit needs to be made.

I really appreciate those who understand and appreciate what a good processor does and what it takes to turn out a good product.