Colorado point restrictions

H2PVon

Lil-Rokslider
A fork on one side with two brow tines each over 1" on that same side is legal, correct?

There is no way I'm going to get into trying to judge if a brow tine is 5" or not.

ckleeves

WKR
This is JMO but out of the 1000? Bulls I have seen in my life I have only seen a handful of branch bulls that weren’t legal. 95% of the time it’s either a slick spike (illegal) or a legal bull. The “tweaner” bulls are really rare.

I’m not saying don’t be 100% sure before you shoot, just saying that the chances of running into a bull that you can’t easily tell are pretty slim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
Has anyone ever seen a spike elk that was even close to only 5". I think the smallest spike I've ever seen was easily twice that.

Exactly, I've never seen a calf with any antler but would imagine if it were born early enough in the year, it might sprout a button or slightly more. I know I haven't seen as many elk as a lot of guys have, but I've seen quite a few and never seen one that I had a hard time telling if it was legal or not. Seen pictures, but very few of those even.

To the OP, don't worry about it too much, just make sure you can see their head before you shoot and you'll know and be ok!

H2PVon

Lil-Rokslider
If you can't tell a brow tine is 5", how you gonna know those 2 1' brows are tines or tree bark stuck to em?

Good question, ok two 3" brow tines. ;) All I'm saying is that there is no way I'm shooting only by the 5" brow tine rule. If I see branched and 2 brow tines on one antler he's legal right?

Carlin59

WKR
Here is a sad example of someone who couldn't determine a 5" brow. The lone brow on this bull was about 2.5". We found this bull dead the second day of first rifle, and based on where the shot had to have come from, someone made the error from less than 100 yards in open aspens.
QEpJmtg.png

ekpqjUI.png

One bull wasted that would have been legal the following year. Just a reminder to be 1000% sure a bull is legal before you pull the trigger.

cnelk

WKR
Most times the 5” brow tine is very clear.
That’s the first thing I look for.

Remember a bull only needs ONE 5” brow tine OR a min of 4 points on one side.
Not both

OP
F
Sometimes its pretty clear cut:
4MOyJynl.jpg

Ok so based upon the antler restrictions I would think this elk is not legal? Or am I to understand that if the brow tine is greater than 5 inches which this looks to be on my phone that then if it has less than 4 points on a side it's still legal? With what I have read here so far I am more confused than I was when I asked the original question.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Ok so based upon the antler restrictions I would think this elk is not legal? Or am I to understand that if the brow tine is greater than 5 inches which this looks to be on my phone that then if it has less than 4 points on a side it's still legal? With what I have read here so far I am more confused than I was when I asked the original question.

You answered your question already (4pts at least on one side or one browtine over 5" is the minimum) but this is legal the brow tines are a foot long. Couldn't tell in the shadows if either side was carrying 4pt or better but could clearly see the size of the browtines.

sont5413

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone find an online game or test online that demonstrates several examples of legal / nonlegal Colorado bulls? I'd like to get properly educated before heading out this Fall.

Felix40

WKR
My kid is in kindergarten. I could probably post a link to the counting song they use if it would help someone. You’d just have to ignore everything after 1...2....3....4

njdoxie

WKR
It's always been pretty clear to me, until now......how is a brow tine defined? Is it the first tine up from the base?

davsco

WKR
so a stupid question. brow times are included in "points" yes or no? so two actual points on one side and two 3" brow tines on that same side = legal bull?

One brow tine is >5”, legal bull

It's always been pretty clear to me, until now......how is a brow tine defined? Is it the first tine up from the base?
Yes, if there is a question don’t shoot until sure. No matter how many miles you think you’ve walked