Colorado Rifle Elk Mandatory CWD Testing

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
I just received my letter in the mail stating that CWD testing is mandatory for rifle elk? We are doing a drop camp and the packer will be picking up our meat bags to haul out. He had stated in the paperwork that anything other than skull cap would require an extra horse and cost extra...so I am about to be dinged for that to have to take out the full head for testing? I bet the guides are having a fit.

What should I expect to bring to make this easiest, copy of hunter safety for the packer to take with the head for testing, extra game bag necessary for the head? Can I still skull cap the antlers without damaging the brain they need for testing?

Geez I prefer packing elk antlers with the full head vs just a skull cap. But no you cannot remove a skull cap without damaging the brain. I believe CPW requires the full head for testing therefore your outfitter is gonna have to suck it up and pack the full head without charging you imo it is something out of both of ur control. As an outfitter myself if I charged extra for a service like let’s say taking your meat to be inspected by CPW but it was an optional thing, then CPW required all meat to be inspected I couldn’t charge you anymore for doing it.

I believe you must be present with the animal for testing, you may call a CPW office to confirm though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clarence

WKR
Can someone post the map for the mandatory testing units? From what I have read, not all units are mandatory test, but having a hard time finding a map of what is. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

OP
SirChooCH

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider

Remove the lymph nodes and keep them cool but not frozen. Not hard to do .
Am I allowed to do that? It says to submit the head with 2-4" of neck as shown in the red box in this photo?

Attachments

• CWD-Lymph-Node-Tonsils-Head-Example.png
    CWD-Lymph-Node-Tonsils-Head-Example.png
    112.4 KB · Views: 45

nrhardin

FNG
Trying to figure this all out as well. Seems like it throws a bit of a wrench into hunt planning if you were to shoot an elk on the last day of your hunt. Also I don’t see what the “penalty” is if you don’t get it tested. Here’s the letter for those interested

7BED7E8C-5BA0-4DF1-A406-B6C67DF45573.jpegFE1C4C40-8CE1-4C4D-AB06-17F1A30E46B9.jpeg

JakeSCH

WKR
My letter is coming in the mail today. Not ideal by any means but I get them wanting to trace it...I think the worst part is having to drive 3 hours in the wrong direction to drop it off. Lol.

*EDIT* Well they added more locations so now I don't have to drive more than 1.5 hours in the wrong direction.

oldillini

Lil-Rokslider
This site provides info ... https://cpw.state.co.us/learn/Pages/ResearchCWD-Submission.aspx

Fortunately our outfitter has indicated that they will help take care of this and I don't have to be submit it personally. They normally pack out meat, etc. soon after the kill and we stay in camp until hunt over for all parties. I plan to take an extra copy of my license so they have it.

Definitely more work if DIY.

Poser

WKR
I just got one of these letters as well. In the terrain we hunt in, it has never been possible to pack an entire head out. We have to split the skull otherwise it’s simply not safe nor is it possible to negotiate the terrain with a full set of antlers on your back. I’ll bring them the lymph nodes, but otherwise, MR green pants will have to get over it.

OP
SirChooCH

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
Geez I prefer packing elk antlers with the full head vs just a skull cap. But no you cannot remove a skull cap without damaging the brain. I believe CPW requires the full head for testing therefore your outfitter is gonna have to suck it up and pack the full head without charging you imo it is something out of both of ur control. As an outfitter myself if I charged extra for a service like let’s say taking your meat to be inspected by CPW but it was an optional thing, then CPW required all meat to be inspected I couldn’t charge you anymore for doing it.

I believe you must be present with the animal for testing, you may call a CPW office to confirm though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just heard back from my outfitter and that is what he is doing. They will just deal with it and pack the whole head out, be sure to attach a copy of our license and/or hunter safety for CPW as they will be dropping off the head for testing for us. Need a copy of one of those with the head if you are not present yourself as the hunter.

sndmn11

WKR
Just heard back from my outfitter and that is what he is doing. They will just deal with it and pack the whole head out, be sure to attach a copy of our license and/or hunter safety for CPW as they will be dropping off the head for testing for us. Need a copy of one of those with the head if you are not present yourself as the hunter.

I don't read anything mentioning submission of Hunter's Safety.

OP
SirChooCH

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
I don't read anything mentioning submission of Hunter's Safety.
Yup, I read it wrong. "Hunting License".

I guess in my head I was thinking about making a copy of both just in case.

sndmn11

WKR
Yup, I read it wrong. "Hunting License".

I guess in my head I was thinking about making a copy of both just in case.
Nobody cares about your Hunter's Safety for this purpose, and you run the risk of losing it. If your Hunter's Safety is verified and that verification is marked on your actual hunting license by CPW, leave the Hunter's Safety at home.

In your case, I would make a copy of the license only (cover up the carcass tag) and throw it in a ziplock or laminate that copy. I would also email your CID number to the outfitter right now, so that in the event he loses your license copy, he still has your CID number in electronic form. If you are really comfortable with the identify theft risk, you could instead email that copy of your license to the outfitter.

The carcass tag stays attached to the evidence of sex quarter/majority of your carcass, it does not go to the lymph node place, and the head is not evidence of sex unless it is naturally attached to a front quarter or more.

wytx

WKR
So the website says heads or tissue, I would make a call and find out.
The bottom of their page has a video showing how to remove the lymph nodes as well and states they are preferred for testing. I would sure make a call and only remove the lymph nodes if possible.

cwd colorado.jpg