Colorado season changes

Foldem

WKR
Lots misinformation going around kinda like scare tactics.

Yes some tags may be cut this year again especially in NW, CPW Will cut and regulate tags as needed for wildlife. As far as cutting non resident tags this year and changing tag quotes between resident and non resident won’t happen til the 2025 season structure. They’re most likely not going to go to all draw or cut OTC tags this year especially with a new season structure a year away and being talked about and surveyed.

I’m going to say most likely from what I’ve heard about the BGSS focus group that many OTC is going away. Probably for everyone, or they will do OTC with caps for residents and non residents. There is a lot of debate and question of why OTC is needed at all, and no one has a legit reason for even having OTC besides giving everyone a tag or having larger harvest on animals. It’s not a management tool to bring back herds, like many are failing. So I’m betting especially with all the CPW just wants money and the CPW can’t fix the herds they already destroyed, they’re going to cut tags, and focus on wildlife… all they have to do is go full draw, put resident non resident at 75/25, and cut tag numbers: at that point no one would have a fight of just out for money or they don’t care about herds, sure residents would cry they aren’t getting babied and taken care of but that’s me me me issue not a wildlife issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The red portion isn't correct. It's been adopted and effective for the 2024 season. Residents will get 75% on the lower demand tags and 80% on higher demand tags as determined by the rolling average of PP required.

The red portion isn't correct. It's been adopted and effective for the 2024 season. Residents will get 75% on the lower demand tags and 80% on higher demand tags as determined by the rolling average of PP required.
That's what I thought. I have never seen such a confusing topic. Employees and hunters are all over the place.

svivian

WKR
Any thoughts on my above posts where it says non-resident alottment will change in 2024. It is very strange. Almost everybody I talked to including many employees of CPW had no idea this was going to happen, yet it is in writing that it will.

Lots misinformation going around kinda like scare tactics.

Yes some tags may be cut this year again especially in NW, CPW Will cut and regulate tags as needed for wildlife. As far as cutting non resident tags this year and changing tag quotes between resident and non resident won’t happen til the 2025 season structure. They’re most likely not going to go to all draw or cut OTC tags this year especially with a new season structure a year away and being talked about and surveyed.

I’m going to say most likely from what I’ve heard about the BGSS focus group that many OTC is going away. Probably for everyone, or they will do OTC with caps for residents and non residents. There is a lot of debate and question of why OTC is needed at all, and no one has a legit reason for even having OTC besides giving everyone a tag or having larger harvest on animals. It’s not a management tool to bring back herds, like many are failing. So I’m betting especially with all the CPW just wants money and the CPW can’t fix the herds they already destroyed, they’re going to cut tags, and focus on wildlife… all they have to do is go full draw, put resident non resident at 75/25, and cut tag numbers: at that point no one would have a fight of just out for money or they don’t care about herds, sure residents would cry they aren’t getting babied and taken care of but that’s me me me issue not a wildlife issue.

I think there is a little confusion here and mixing of two different things.

The CPW did update units that took 6 preference points or more to reflect current up to date draw odds. I cant remember the specific amount but several thousand tags should be added to the R pool. Previously they were using the preference points it took from early 2000's for all units. So some units that used to take 4 points to draw now take 6 or more have been updated with the correct allocation for R and NR.

The 2025 tag structure is still in the works.

Here is a previous thread going over those changes

and the actual board meeting notes

Last edited:
I think there is a little confusion here and mixing of two different things.

The CPW did update units that took 6 preference points or more to reflect current up to date draw odds. I cant remember the specific amount but several thousand tags should be added to the R pool. Previously they were using the preference points it took from early 2000's for all units. So some units that used to take 4 points to draw now take 6 or more have been updated with the correct allocation for R and NR.

The 2025 tag structure is still in the works.

Here is a previous thread going over those changes

and the actual board meeting notes
Yes the units that took six or more points on a 3-year rolling average for residents has already moved to 80/20. However, the confusion is on whether or not the 75/25 allocation will take place in 2024 or 2025. Seems answers are all over the place.

Pistolpete28

Lil-Rokslider
That's what I thought. I have never seen such a confusing topic. Employees and hunters are all over the place.
I called CPW headquarters early this week, they told me the tag ratio was still to be decided for this year. I will agree very confusing topic indeed. It very disappointing when the guy who’s job it is to know these things doesn’t even know.

svivian

WKR
Yes the units that took six or more points on a 3-year rolling average for residents has already moved to 80/20. However, the confusion is on whether or not the 75/25 allocation will take place in 2024 or 2025. Seems answers are all over the place.
The allocation has always been that way for units that took more than 6 preference points. However there were units that have now moved into that allocation structure due to point creep that were previously 65/35. Those tag cuts will go into affect 2024.

All other changes will not happen until 2025. IF you read the documents i provided you can see the changes.

The allocation has always been that way for units that took more than 6 preference points. However there were units that have now moved into that allocation structure due to point creep that were previously 65/35. Those tag cuts will go into affect 2024.

All other changes will not happen until 2025. IF you read the documents i provided you can see the changes.
I will read them over hopefully it clears it up for me.

Looks to me like it is saying they will keep the 65/35, and move to 10 points or more 3 year rolling average on the high demand tags, correct? However, the picture I provided was from 11/16/2023 while this article was 2022. So again it seems like the 75/25 is in effect for next year. It just seems impossible to find the truth on this issue.20231215_143453.jpg

svivian

WKR
Looks to me like it is saying they will keep the 65/35, and move to 10 points or more 3 year rolling average on the high demand tags, correct? However, the picture I provided was from 11/16/2023 while this article was 2022. So again it seems like the 75/25 is in effect for next year. It just seems impossible to find the truth on this issue.View attachment 642717
Well I had not seen this new article and missed the recent meetings so I may stand corrected.... gotta love Colorado. Thank you for the screenshot that helps me understand the confusion now.

Well I had not seen this new article and missed the recent meetings so I may stand corrected.... gotta love Colorado. Thank you for the screenshot that helps me understand the confusion now.
Well Randy Newberg thought the same thing as you and he does this stuff for a living. Who the heck knows what's going on. CPW needs to make it clear before the draws get here.

Well that looks pretty official. Where did you find that?

Let me refind the link. It was a little foggy to me but I was certain I had heard it passed cause I remember going through and checking what changes it would make to the units I watch.

cnelk

WKR
Any updates to add to this forum? I see that CPW met last week for 2 days. I didnt see or hear anything yet

Go to the CPW site > About Us > Meetings > Dates > Agenda

You can see everything that will be changed/discussed