Colorado summer vacation ideas and recommendations

bz_711

WKR
Lots of good info and many things I need to try still.
We visit nearly every summer - but only once was it without kids...so...

-Ladies seem to like Aspen (as did my daughter:) ), so it is worth at least a day trip to experience, not my cup of tea but will say it might be the cleanest town I've ever been in...and I was raised on John Denver so visiting his memorial garden was cool. Even Gondola ride to top of Mountain is worth the views and a good brew on the lookout deck.

-Great Sand Dunes: we did that with kids last summer and was one of the neatest things I've visited. I'd suggest a 4-6 hour hike with water and snacks and climb the dunes...it is awesome. And then when done - you have to drive up the terrible road to Zapata Falls for a short hike to an awesome water fall that you hike back in the water/creek to see inside a rock formation. One of my favorite day trips ever with my family

-If you are feeling adventurous and are in Aspen area, my wife and I did Conundrum Hot Springs overnight hike in 2014. Great adventure. Gorgeous hike and then got to spend the evening in 100+ degree natural hot spring surrounded by snow capped peaks (we did late June) and even had to ourselves for some time before others joined. Filtered Water, vodka and raspberry drink mix cocktails at 11,000+ feet in a natural hot tub...One of kind experience for sure.

-We've spent a good amount of time around Leadville, it is a great location for access to a lot of great hiking, jeeping, fishing, scenery...and some decent eats in town. It's definitely not the typical touristy/fancy CO mountain town (Aspen, Vail, etc)...but very "outdoorsy" feel.

One of the best parts of the trip with my wife only was the great eats and brewery's we hit while jumping town to town...CO set up great for road tripping and I don't see a reason to stay more than one night in any place if it's adults only...

PM if you need any details. Please share info after trip!

Poser

WKR
There is a OHV outfitter in Silverton that does wildlife viewing tours. I’m not sure exactly what they do, but I’m guessing they take you up to an alpine high point in the evening -maybe they have some elk and mule deer herds patterned. There are goats in the area as well though that would be very unreliable I’d think. If you want to see some goats guaranteed, take the D&S NG train to Needleton, hike 6 Miles up to Chicago Basin, whip out your johnson and take a piss on any rock. The goats will come to lick the rock within minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redstone, CO
this is a small town in the heart of the Rockies. With many many many options of things to do. A town with a pop of 90. Many options for lodging as well as many many hiking trails. I outfit this area and in my permit I can travel 40 different trails. Maroon bells are our back yard.
Run up to Marble and take a jeep or UTV up to the Crystal Mill.
Fishing the Crystal river, avalanche creek or beaver lake are always fun. 45 minutes from aspen and glenwood springs gives you that quick trip to a bigger town. Hot springs in both Redstone area and glenwood.
Go rafting in the glenwood area,

Stuff that hasn't been mentioned yet;

Maroon Bells
Great Sand Dunes National Park
Hanging Lake Park
Garden of the Gods
Hot springs, resort or undeveloped

Maroon bells is my back yard amazing area,

Redstone, CO it's amazing there small town, hot springs down the road. Hiking, biking, jeeping, hunting, fishing it's got it all!

Gnatboy911

Lil-Rokslider
I live just down the road from Glenwood Springs. Lots of cool stuff in our area. I went to college in Gunnison and there is a ton of cool stuff in the basin...Crested Butte, Taylor Park, etc.