Colorado unit 61

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbflyer

WKR
The liberalization of antlerless tags have had a negative impact on 61, but the nonstop near year-around ATV use is even worse. Also the cattle grazing is very poorly managed. You’ll have to get way away from them, or right next to the trail. Seems like the balance of the country is a dead zone. Those private ranches on Dave Wood are covered with elk.

Grant K

FNG
Is this whole thread a guy using chat GPT to post the entire litany of excuses for not finding a good bull in 61 in an attempt to get people to back out of the draw or turn in tags??

there's plenty of pseudo-science to be found on the hunting forums but this appears to be an attempt to cram it all into one thread, in just over one page you have: dead zones, overgrazing, bad genetics, overhunting cows, wolves, misuse of ATV's, elk crossing into other units and getting shot, CPW reducing herds, plus a few?

61 has never been "worth the points", however, it's great for what it is, a good place to see hundreds of small bulls and hopefully turn up a big one, for what it's worth the biggest bulls I've seen there have been recently, not 20 years ago, they are in different spots and you might have to work for it but they are there...

What season did you hunt?
I drew 61 archery in 2020 and had to turn tag in. Fully expect to draw archery this year. NR with 28 points going in. Taking in all the news, good and bad. All of it is information only and going to go all out. At 62, it will be my last best chance to have a great time in the elk woods. I hope to experience the bugle fest.

Is this whole thread a guy using chat GPT to post the entire litany of excuses for not finding a good bull in 61 in an attempt to get people to back out of the draw or turn in tags??

there's plenty of pseudo-science to be found on the hunting forums but this appears to be an attempt to cram it all into one thread, in just over one page you have: dead zones, overgrazing, bad genetics, overhunting cows, wolves, misuse of ATV's, elk crossing into other units and getting shot, CPW reducing herds, plus a few?

61 has never been "worth the points", however, it's great for what it is, a good place to see hundreds of small bulls and hopefully turn up a big one, for what it's worth the biggest bulls I've seen there have been recently, not 20 years ago, they are in different spots and you might have to work for it but they are there...
Thanks for the positive take. At 62, I am turning in 28 NR points to hunt it and am pumped.

MAP1

Lil-Rokslider
Deer hunted 61 2nd season in 2022. Glassed a ton didn’t see anything approaching 300 in.

Hunted 61 hard last year. Found 3 bulls >350. Could not seal the deal on them. Great hunt. I want to go back but can't afford a 12K landowner tag. Feel free to PM me for details.
Were you camping around the perimeter or did you go in? I've read the access is pretty good but have not had a good conversation with anyone. Do you know anyone who will help pack out an animal?

Phaseolus

WKR
Were you camping around the perimeter or did you go in? I've read the access is pretty good but have not had a good conversation with anyone. Do you know anyone who will help pack out an animal?
Weimers will pack put animals around The Tongue. Further north Dominguez Outfitters will pack. I don’t spend much time further south than Windy Point.

That 50/50 chance may not be 50/50 this year. Hunted 61 archery last year- feel free to pm me
I have heard many things, good and bad, about the area. My main concerns are access areas, and hiring help to pack an animal out. I called around in 2020 when I initially drew the tag and had to turn it in due to old folk issues. No luck with packing contacts. I expect to draw this year and am prepping the best I can. I take the negative news as info and continue on. I have 28 pts going in and am 62. There will not be another opportunity.

Weimers will pack put animals around The Tongue. Further north Dominguez Outfitters will pack. I don’t spend much time further south than Windy Point.
I will have to look up The Tongue.
I plan to spend plenty of time on the ground scouting and learning.
Learning the OnX maps to figure out good glassing points.

I have heard many things, good and bad, about the area. My main concerns are access areas, and hiring help to pack an animal out. I called around in 2020 when I initially drew the tag and had to turn it in due to old folk issues. No luck with packing contacts. I expect to draw this year and am prepping the best I can. I take the negative news as info and continue on. I have 28 pts going in and am 62. There will not be another opportunity.
I have some packers numbers. They have boundary areas that they can operate in.

Access is easy. The scrub oaks are not easy.

Phaseolus

WKR
Dominguez outfitters phone is +19702502691. Weimers contact is (970) 258-0778. I’m brainfogged at the moment about the name of the outfitters down 47 road off Windy Point at the 47 cow camp. Dang it.

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
Dominguez outfitters phone is +19702502691. Weimers contact is (970) 258-0778. I’m brainfogged at the moment about the name of the outfitters down 47 road off Windy Point at the 47 cow camp. Dang it.
I believe it's Allout Guiding and Outfitting

it should be Garveys. not sure if thats how you spell it or what the name of their outfit is but should point you in the right direction!

Got it. I am going to call them before I get out there. Thanks
Like others have said I would shoot the first 330+ bull you see. In 2020 I passed up a 330 on day one and never seen another one bigger. Its hard to fight the urge of shooting a 290-300 bull but you will see a bunch of them! Have a lot of fun though its a great hunt and you will see a ton of Elk!

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
It's hilarious to hear people on this thread complaining about this unit. There are still plenty of good bulls in 61. Many 300+. The action during archery and often muzzy is good. Aside from the Bull Draw fire pushing elk out temporarily a few years ago, this unit still holds the same number of elk it always has. They aren't migrating to 62, or anywhere else.

It's still one of the best units in the state. It may not produce as many giants as it used to, but everything negative posted on here about it amounts to nothing more than a pile of excuses. If you are holding out for a unicorn, you may not get it. Hunting premium units anywhere is no guarantee of sealing the deal on something extraordinary.

If you have a 61 bull tag in your pocket and have half a clue what you are doing, you are going to have a really fun hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.