Colorado unit 79 & 68 archery

OP
H

Hunttex

FNG
You need to stop now

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Well I get out and scout all the time for other hunts. But being as that spot is 14 hours from me and any extra vacation time from work is used just for the hunt it’s not possible to go scout for elk. I spend hundreds of hours scouting/prepping for close to home hunts every year. Don’t have much else to say on that.

raptor16

Lil-Rokslider
Well I get out and scout all the time for other hunts. But being as that spot is 14 hours from me and any extra vacation time from work is used just for the hunt it’s not possible to go scout for elk. I spend hundreds of hours scouting/prepping for close to home hunts every year. Don’t have much else to say on that.
He wasn't telling you to stop. He was telling Vandy to stop being an "asshat" to you

Thomas11

WKR
Never hunted the units but my research on 68 is that it has a fairly low population of elk that has decreased. Terrain looks not overly steep on GE. Lots of beetle kill from what I can tell which could be good w some feed. I like that it has a mix of open terrain and timber. Just not sure it will be a lot of elk to find. Low hunter numbers compared to other units

Thomas11

WKR
My advice is to maybe pick a few units and plan on checking all them out this fall if u had time. I was kinda planning on this myself. Maybe take 2 weeks and hunt several units and just kinda get a feel for the future

My advice is to maybe pick a few units and plan on checking all them out this fall if u had time. I was kinda planning on this myself. Maybe take 2 weeks and hunt several units and just kinda get a feel for the future

Solid advice.

Unless you're going with someone who has boots on the ground experience or get reliable info, your best bet is to hike, hike, hike, hike, hike until you find fresh elk sign then get on some elk. After one season, you'll have a couple spots marked on GPS that are worthy of your time and each year, you'll build on that through exploring other spots and confirming the quality of where you've found in the past.

Reactions: MBS
OP
H

Hunttex

FNG
Solid advice.

Unless you're going with someone who has boots on the ground experience or get reliable info, your best bet is to hike, hike, hike, hike, hike until you find fresh elk sign then get on some elk. After one season, you'll have a couple spots marked on GPS that are worthy of your time and each year, you'll build on that through exploring other spots and confirming the quality of where you've found in the past.
That’s my exact plan. Thanks guys.

chasewild

WKR

I'll save you a cut and past of the hundreds of newb posts about a unit over the past few years and the vitriol they have elicted -- some of which you've already received -- because by now, you probably realize posting a unit number in your first post was maybe not the best idea.

Why was it not such a great idea? Colorado get's hammered because our state agencies have created a "low hanging fruit" for nonresidents to hunt Colorado every year. So, when unit numbers get posted and advice is given on a permanent forum, it kills that unit by a 1,000 cuts. We've all witnessed it over, and over, and over. It's crazy the impact the internet has created on hunting pressure.

So my advice is always the same. Pick a unit that has the minimum -- you know, elk and cool country. Then, pack up your gear and drive out for the hunt. Wake up early, glass, cover lots of ground, sponge up everything, take pictures, maybe you'll hear an elk (!!!!), maybe you'll see one, maybe not, but it Sure AF is better than not hunting.

Adjust your expectations to the process rather than the outcome and you'll have a great time.

JLeMieux

Lil-Rokslider
So my advice is always the same. Pick a unit that has the minimum -- you know, elk and cool country. Then, pack up your gear and drive out for the hunt. Wake up early, glass, cover lots of ground, sponge up everything, take pictures, maybe you'll hear an elk (!!!!), maybe you'll see one, maybe not, but it Sure AF is better than not hunting.

Adjust your expectations to the process rather than the outcome and you'll have a great time.

Excellent advice!!

njdoxie

WKR
TONS of nonres hunters don't scout, they escout, as making a trip out west just for scouting is almost impossible money wise and vacation wise for most folks. It's all most nonres folks can swing to hunt out west. Yes, you can get there a few days early, but vacation time is super tight for most.

Brett8133

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted both 68 and 79. I live in 79. You can find any kind of terrain in these units. From flat sage brush to mountains that will kick your butt. There is a lot of pressure. The only way to really find out is to hunt them.

I sent you a pm sir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdmaxwell

WKR
OP. Study your maps long enough and you will be able to answer your own terrain condition questions

When in doubt hunt high. Elk will almost always be up as high as weather permits, for a few reasons but the main one being less pressure. Not many people can hike and hunt tree line and steep rough country day after day without exhausting themselves.

Find a unit you think looks good and e-scout and have a few different spots within that unit that you want to hunt. If you can’t scout pre-season then stay mobile and be prepared to cover a lot of ground and do some glassing to find elk and when you find them, go hunt them. If glassing won’t work for where you’re hunting then use the forest roads and drive around early in the morning and late in the evening and listen for bugles.

Also if you can find their wintering grounds you can look at the surrounding areas and kind of determine where their at in September.

I agree with the above posts that the hunters that spend year after year and hundreds of miles hiking and scouting and hunting to be successful don’t want to hand out information that they’ve worked so hard to acquire.
While I agree with that, why even have a forum if a guy can’t get signed up and start asking questions? Gotta start somewhere. Doesn’t mean we are required to be specific about ones honey holes or anything. Some are way too quick to fly off the handle and give the impression of a shitty attitude. Especially when a gmu is mentioned. To those guys I give the finger. They should direct there anger to Go Hunt, or Top Rut, or Huntin Fool. Those are the ones pointing guys in the direction to start asking questions about particular units.

I’ve accepted that not everyone can be like me and find their own places to hunt without asking anyone’s permission ;)

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
In those units I would start high, really high so you leave the valley dwellers behind. If thier is half as many people in those units as thier was last year, You will need all the help you can get. I would look for out of the way places from day 1. The traditional nice elk lookin spots on google earth will be pounded- guarenteed