Compact suppressed build- cartridge?

I’ve been considering a build off the Manners Compact stock and a Remington SA 700/7 I also am considering buying my first suppressor to go on it.

The rifle will be used for target practice and big game hunting out to 600yds. And as an adjustable one for my family and friends to shoot

I’m thinking a 16.5-18” barrel with a 5-7” suppressor on it.

The obvious answer is a 308 win... but should I look at other options?

I have a Model seven In a 300 SAUM, is that too much powder for a short barrel? Too hot for a suppressor?

How about the 30-284? Get a little more push than the 308 but would need more brass work. Would I even notice the difference?

I also have a 7mm-08 and a 7 SAUM and like both those cartridges, but would loose some velocity over the 30 cal?

or should I go bigger 338 Fed? 338 RCM? Is it worth getting a 338 cal can?

thoughts?

OP
wildwilderness
Good point, would need to follow length and powder ratings for the suppressor.

I see the Thunder Beast is a popular one though not the cheapest, also Silencer Company? Any other one that are worth looking at?

HuntnPack

WKR
Take a look at :

Gap Jaeger
(reflex style, Only extends 4.5”, 7oz.)

Mac Brothers. Helium

TBAC. Ultra 5

Wyoming Arms (4” 4oz., & 5” 5oz.)

Rebel Hunter (modular)

These are just a few shorter models that
would allow you to stay with a slightly longer barrel for the velocity/performance, concern & still be manageable overall length. Maybe something to consider.

Last edited:

Sled

WKR
i went with 6.5 cm for my short bbl rifle. i have one in 20" (tikka) and one in 17" (kimber) with different suppressors. my 20" is more fun to shoot and the 17" is more fun to carry. both don't seem to lose as much velocity as the magnums do. they might be short of what distance you want to shoot but 500 yards it is more than capable on no dangerous N american game. for target that 20" tikka (otherwise factory gun) shoots surprisingly good sub moa groups out to 800. haven't run it further yet and don't really need to.

fwiw, the magnums get loud even with the suppressor when you shorten the bbl too much. lots of unburned powder to bark at you.

fatbacks

WKR
Good point, would need to follow length and powder ratings for the suppressor.

I see the Thunder Beast is a popular one though not the cheapest, also Silencer Company? Any other one that are worth looking at?

Check out the Dead Air Nomad Ti. Will be compatible with most barrel lengths with most cartridges. I have one on order and super excited. Also, its only 9.5 oz and fairly compact.

Are you wanting hollywood quiet or just suppressed?
My vote is .308 and here is why
If you get the right reticle like sworski with custom turrets or the leupold woth custom turrets.
You can site it in with sub sonic hunting and be hollywood quiet at 100 yds but if you fee you may need more range. Load a hot round in and adjust the scope.
I run a remington model seven, ruger american, and just sold my remington 700.
All set up this way. Have killed multiple deer and hogs this way.
I also shoot 6.5 creedmoore, .223 and .300 win mag suppressed . All great guns and its funner to shoot with a can but there all loud still. Im running surefire cans, yankee hill cans, and gemtech

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capt. Max

FNG
I shoot a tikka T3 in 300 wsm cut the barrel down to 18 inches and put a Rugged Micro 30 on it. It is a fun little gun. Shot an elk at 277 yard in Pueblo, CO. Plan on doing a deer hunt on Kodiak this year with it. Just got a NF NX8 2.5-20 in Mil-xt to try. I was using a Trijicon 1-8 until I couldn’t see a deer with it at 450 at the tree line In Georgia. I am a fan of the 1-4 or 1-8 LPVO but wanted a scope with a bigger objective and still a lower end base power. I may get a carbon fiber stock for it soon.

chefcreed

FNG
Just picked got my Rugged Radiant out of jail! It’s going on a .308 Rem 700 Action with 18” Hawk Hill barrel in a Manners T2 Mini chassis I recently picked up on a fire sale. Heavy little bastard but feels well balanced and solid. Hoping to take it out tomorrow and see how it all shoots. Pretty sure the Radiant does not have a minimum barre length requirement.

I use 6.5CM as my suppressor host cartridge of choice if I'm going compact, 18" usually. I'm a fanboy of TBAC (have their whole Ultra lineup) but no matter what you choose, don't go cheap. It's an investment in your health that you will have for the rest of your life since you can't really re-sell it easily.

Capt. Max

FNG
I own 11 Nfa items but if I could have done it over I wouldn’t have bought the micro 30 and got a trash panda instead. The Micro 30 is a nice can just not quiet as the trash panda and you lose internal volume due to the mount.

UpWndFrt

FNG
This was a new one on me....
I've always thought the 6.5 PRC was in the Short Magnum class of calibers but talking to a tech at SiCo the other day he stated they do not classify it as a magnum round and it goes in their 7.62 minimum barrel length category.
So my Harvester was rated at 16" instead of 20" for the magnum.
Regardless of what he said I don't think I'll chance it again on my 18" barrel.....
I've shot hundreds of rounds through my 24" barrel so I say better safe than sorry.
Surprising in itself, same pressure and only 3% less powder than a 270wsm...

Prestjd

FNG
I shoot a tikka T3 in 300 wsm cut the barrel down to 18 inches and put a Rugged Micro 30 on it. It is a fun little gun. Shot an elk at 277 yard in Pueblo, CO. Plan on doing a deer hunt on Kodiak this year with it. Just got a NF NX8 2.5-20 in Mil-xt to try. I was using a Trijicon 1-8 until I couldn’t see a deer with it at 450 at the tree line In Georgia. I am a fan of the 1-4 or 1-8 LPVO but wanted a scope with a bigger objective and still a lower end base power. I may get a carbon fiber stock for it soon.
What kind of velocity are you getting ? What bullet? I'm down the same road on trying something similar

Capt. Max

FNG
Ill let you know after Sunday I am using the labradar to get the velocity of a 150 grain bullet. I have not lost too much. I usually shoot a 168 gr. or a 180 gr. bullets.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
I’ve been considering a build off the Manners Compact stock and a Remington SA 700/7 I also am considering buying my first suppressor to go on it.

The rifle will be used for target practice and big game hunting out to 600yds. And as an adjustable one for my family and friends to shoot

I’m thinking a 16.5-18” barrel with a 5-7” suppressor on it.

The obvious answer is a 308 win... but should I look at other options?

I have a Model seven In a 300 SAUM, is that too much powder for a short barrel? Too hot for a suppressor?

How about the 30-284? Get a little more push than the 308 but would need more brass work. Would I even notice the difference?

I also have a 7mm-08 and a 7 SAUM and like both those cartridges, but would loose some velocity over the 30 cal?

or should I go bigger 338 Fed? 338 RCM? Is it worth getting a 338 cal can?

thoughts?
If you want to hunt with your suppressor next year, you’d better order it ASAP. Waiting periods are 10-11 months for most cases now.

OP
wildwilderness
What specs did you end up with?
It’s a model 7 action chambered in 308win with a 16.25” barrel and a Banish 30 in the 9” configuration.

Been shooting some 124g Hammer Hunters and can hit 3000fps with minimal recoil and sound. Loaded some 190subX bullets around 1200 fps and feels like a pellet gun! Haven’t worked down to sub sonic yet but can see how that would be fun