Considering a move with family need suggestions

JParisi48

FNG
I’m 30 with a wife and a newborn, we currently live in NH and are considering a move to another state with lower cost of living pretty much open to any ideas right now as we are in the research phase. We currently have good schools and healthcare and a good community. Hunting is at the top of things I’d like to continue doing, but other hobbies include motorcycles and sports cars, fishing, hiking, camping, mountain biking. We like to occasionally go to the city for food and drinks. Do any of you guys live in an area that has all or most of this and can you share some suggestions on states or even more specifically towns/communities to look into?

tony

WKR
What type of work do you all do? Thats a major factor in a move.

Im going to tell you to give WV a look. It’s an outdoor playground. Hunting and fishing is good. Some of the best firearms laws in the nation. Weather is usually decent.

Taxes, we do have a “personal property tax” you pay yearly on vehicles and other things.
While the state is beautiful, drugs, poverty, and to some extent crime can be bad.

Macintosh

WKR
Be aware that the grass usually looks greener across the fence, but if you live in NH it rarely is.

There's no perfect place to be. Having lived in WA, OR, IL, NH, ID, and WY, I sympathize with wanting to move. However, with a growing family, being in a safe place close to family and friends you trust should be the more important thing. If the goal is to lower cost of living, I suggest throttling back your hobbies before moving.

SloppyJ

WKR
Check out NW AR. Some of the best mountain biking in the country and it's only growing. However, our housing market has shot up in the past few years. I'm not sure how it compares but there's plenty of opprotunity here and checks all of your boxes.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Might want to define Midwest. As MN is fast becoming Minnefornia. $$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Iowa, Minnesota, Kansas, Kentucky, even though it’s a little pricey-er these days heck of a lot cheaper than the coasts or the Rocky Mt states

ndewees

FNG
Classified Approved
I’m 30 with a wife and a newborn, we currently live in NH and are considering a move to another state with lower cost of living pretty much open to any ideas right now as we are in the research phase. We currently have good schools and healthcare and a good community. Hunting is at the top of things I’d like to continue doing, but other hobbies include motorcycles and sports cars, fishing, hiking, camping, mountain biking. We like to occasionally go to the city for food and drinks. Do any of you guys live in an area that has all or most of this and can you share some suggestions on states or even more specifically towns/communities to look into?
I'll second Tony in checking out WV and living here agree with his pros and cons.

Also a program to check out:

CCooper

WKR
There's no perfect place to be. Having lived in WA, OR, IL, NH, ID, and WY, I sympathize with wanting to move. However, with a growing family, being in a safe place close to family and friends you trust should be the more important thing. If the goal is to lower cost of living, I suggest throttling back your hobbies before moving.
This.^ I live on the west coast but traveled extensively for work for about 15 years. There is no perfect location other than Alaska 😂. I do love middle/ eastern TN/ N. GA but I have yet to put the house up for sale here. Family will always play into our location decisions.

Probably not popular on this forum but you've got a lotta options in Texas and the cost of living is reasonable. Year round hunting and fishing, year round motorcycles and sports cars, coastal access and such. Probably won't be mountain biking in August though.

Last edited: