Considering a move with family need suggestions

Well, if you live in a large town in Oregon AND watch the news, it is doom and gloom.

If you live in a small town and don't watch the news(like myself) it's a phenomenal place.
I can find something to do (hunting/fishing) within 20 miles of my house every single day of the year. I'm surrounded by like minded people in my town. The key to appreciating Oregon is simple.
1. Turn off TV
2. Stay the hell out of the Willamette valley.
The problem with living on an island is, eventually, the island gets covered.

Measure 18 passed in 1994, ending the hunting of cougar and bear with hounds. What’s happened to our deer and elk since? That measure was carried by Multnomah County, despite being soundly defeated in most counties.

More recently, Measure 114 passed in 2022. It was recently ruled unconstitutional, but it was carried largely by voters in Multnomah, Washington and Hood River counties. The measure lost big in Eastern and Southern Oregon.

There’s no escaping Portland. I’m in Linn County, doesn’t get redder than us.

P

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Alaska currently.
Alaska is a rich man’s game now. The declining game populations are making resident hunts more difficult every year. Combine that with the cost of living up here and you’ll go broke within 24 months.

Texas - my home state but turning purple by the minute. I would go back when I retire, but due to my allergies, I cannot go back. But it is becoming Texafornia, and will not be recognizable anymore in 10 years when I retire, therefore I won’t be losing much. So sad.

Idaho - everyone is going, so land costs are skyrocketing

Oregon has lost its ever loving mind.

What’s left?
Join the military and get resident hunting rights everywhere?
Even because someone is in the military does allow them to attain residency in multiple states at one time. In most cases it’s limited to the assigned active duty base/state, but shortened requirements. It seems widely abused and/or misunderstood

Oregon

WKR
The problem with living on an island is, eventually, the island gets covered.

Measure 18 passed in 1994, ending the hunting of cougar and bear with hounds. What’s happened to our deer and elk since? That measure was carried by Multnomah County, despite being soundly defeated in most counties.

More recently, Measure 114 passed in 2022. It was recently ruled unconstitutional, but it was carried largely by voters in Multnomah, Washington and Hood River counties. The measure lost big in Eastern and Southern Oregon.

There’s no escaping Portland. I’m in Linn County, doesn’t get redder than us.

P
I get it. The winter of 92/93 and 16/17 was way more detrimental than measure 18 for our herds. I'm not justifying the stupidity in this state, but it really doesn't affect myself. It will eventually, guaranteed. I live very comfortably. My truck stays unlocked, my boat sits in my driveway without a lock and full of decoys and gear. I drive 5 minutes to world class waterfowling, my favorite eastern Oregon deer and elk units are decent(I saw 36 different bucks this year), I always have an opportunity on a bull on our 5 day hunt. If I don't draw, I'll guarantee myself an OTC blacktail 15 minutes from house. OTC rosy tags, I kill them, but I don't like hunting elk local. At low tide I dig clams, at high tide I eat Dungeness crab any day I want. Caught tuna 17 miles off the beach this year, so 19 miles from my house. My wife shuttles me for my solo drift boat steelhead trips. The take out is 4 miles away.
If I didn't live where I live in this screwed up state, I'd be absolutely miserable.
I'd rather stick a stick in my eye than live in the Willamette valley.
When the island gets covered here, then I'll be the first to jump ship.

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider
I’m 30 with a wife and a newborn, we currently live in NH and are considering a move to another state with lower cost of living pretty much open to any ideas right now as we are in the research phase. We currently have good schools and healthcare and a good community. Hunting is at the top of things I’d like to continue doing, but other hobbies include motorcycles and sports cars, fishing, hiking, camping, mountain biking. We like to occasionally go to the city for food and drinks. Do any of you guys live in an area that has all or most of this and can you share some suggestions on states or even more specifically towns/communities to look into?
Sort of tough to answer without more information...

1. What sort of work do you and your wife do?
2. Are you natives of NH?
3. Do you have family there?
4. What general geographic area are you interested in?
5. Do you mind heat and humidity?
6. Can you live South of the Mason Dixon Line?
7. What's your view on winter?
8. Could you live without the most beautiful falls on the planet?
9. Etc., etc.

I know it's getting some hate, but Minnesota can really be an outdoors paradise. I grew up there in a rural town and we fished, hunted and explored our rear ends off (plus the people were extremely friendly). The health care there has been excellent for my family that still lives there, and i envy them for that now that i have kids. I don't miss the cold, but I sure don't mind going back to visit! Generally speaking, it's also much cheaper living than the coastal states.

Backyard

WKR
I know it's getting some hate, but Minnesota can really be an outdoors paradise. I grew up there in a rural town and we fished, hunted and explored our rear ends off (plus the people were extremely friendly). The health care there has been excellent for my family that still lives there, and i envy them for that now that i have kids. I don't miss the cold, but I sure don't mind going back to visit! Generally speaking, it's also much cheaper living than the coastal states.

Minn is fast becoming Minnefornia. It’s a “not in my backyard” state. Meaning nobody wants any larger businesses to set up anywhere near where they live. Therefore the individual is left with the tax burden of the county.
That and a lot of that tax money is going towards the hordes that are flocking here to suck off the free government tit of this now totally dem run state.
But hey, we have lakes, so there’s fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every day I thank God he got me out of MN. I wouldn’t move back for all the Heggie’s pizza in the world.

Minn is fast becoming Minnefornia. It’s a “not in my backyard” state. Meaning nobody wants any larger businesses to set up anywhere near where they live. Therefore the individual is left with the tax burden of the county.
That and a lot of that tax money is going towards the hordes that are flocking here to suck off the free government tit of this now totally dem run state.
But hey, we have lakes, so there’s fishing.

Bummer to hear, It's got some incredible natural resources. I still want to take my kids into the boundary waters when they get old enough!

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
OP, do you have a set career path or the ability to work remote? That plays a big factor in throwing darts at the proverbial map.