Cooper 92 Backcountry Recall

Jardo

WKR
I posted this in the cooper 92 backcountry thread, but thought I’d post it here too just in case nobody is seeing that.

Mods, hopefully this is the best place to post this... if not feel free to move it to wherever you think is best.

I got this letter today and a shipping label from Cooper stating there’s a problem with some of the model 92 bolts and to mail my rifle back to them for fixing.

I registered my gun with them. I bet most don’t bother to register your rifles with the manufacture so if you have a 92 and didn’t register, give them a call and see if your rifle is part of the recall.

I’ll keep y’all posted on how quick they turn my gun around. I Have a hunt next month and wanted to use this rifle.
8d7acccd04a8315b69a0643d554d43ef.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cadman

FNG
I posted this in the cooper 92 backcountry thread, but thought I’d post it here too just in case nobody is seeing that.

Mods, hopefully this is the best place to post this... if not feel free to move it to wherever you think is best.

I got this letter today and a shipping label from Cooper stating there’s a problem with some of the model 92 bolts and to mail my rifle back to them for fixing.

I registered my gun with them. I bet most don’t bother to register your rifles with the manufacture so if you have a 92 and didn’t register, give them a call and see if your rifle is part of the recall.

I’ll keep y’all posted on how quick they turn my gun around. I Have a hunt next month and wanted to use this rifle.
8d7acccd04a8315b69a0643d554d43ef.jpg

What's the word on your rifle? Haven't heard anything from them since I sent mine back, and they also haven't replied to email I sent a couple weeks ago asking about it.

Outlaw99

WKR
I’ve found Cooper is a lot better just calling them up on the phone, rather than relying on emails. I had a minor issue with my 92 spare mag and they handled it quickly.

Outhunting

Lil-Rokslider
I have two that I just sent back last Monday. When I talked to them at SCI they told me they were trying to turn them around within 2 weeks due to the inconvenience of scope removal etc. We will see. I just hope they come back shooting as good as they were.

cadman

FNG
Got my rifle back today. The bolt was replaced with the new style bolt and headspaced, full qc check and re-shot. I remounted my Farrel rail and the scope and will head out to the desert in a couple weeks to check zero.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Hard to tell from the pics posted because they're pretty similar looking. Here's mine, haven't gotten a letter though, at least not that I know of
ffcba05d0c30116d8426ddb52d4b7f63.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dead Coyote

Lil-Rokslider
Hard to tell from the pics posted because they're pretty similar looking. Here's mine, haven't gotten a letter though, at least not that I know of

Give them a call or shoot them a email with your Rifle Serial Number and they will let you know for sure. But your's looks like the newer model.

Eagle

WKR

Your bolt doesn’t have straight ends. You need to contact cooper and send it in.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Just talked to Cooper. Mine is one of the affected ones. They told me to hold mine for a bit, they've had so many people send theirs in both affected and unaffected to have looked at that they are running 6-8 weeks on turnaround times. They said sending it in now isn't going to speed up when I get it back so I'll just wait and have them fit it for a spare mag at the same time. Just a heads up for anyone sending one in now, it's not gonna be a 2 week turnaround.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Mine is one of the first ones made as an FYI. They had me turn the bolt over and look for flat machining on the spirals on the bolt. Soon as I gave them the serial number he confirmed.

BigJoeXD

FNG
Sent mine in a little over a month ago. Communication with the gunsmith via email has been helpful as he’s been very responsive. Not expecting a quick turnaround, in addition to the bolt replacement I had a magazine fit issue and I am having them cerakote it too while it’s there. Looking forward to getting my 92 back though.

Outhunting

Lil-Rokslider
I just received one of two that I sent back for the bolt recall. I am less than impressed with the test target that came back with it after Cooper worked on it and fixed the bolt. I cherry picked and looked for 6 months before I found a 300 Win mag with a one hole target and dropped the three grand and it was a shooter. I have not taken it out yet to see how it does for me after the "Fix" but if it is any indicator of what the test target is it will be a MOA gun instead of a half inch MOA gun that I bought, but according to Dawn and the Gunsmith within their specs. My 7mm comes back next week and I am hoping for the best. We will see....

OP
Jardo

Jardo

WKR
I received mine back 4 weeks ago so they had it for about 7 weeks. Looks like they replaced the bolt, repaired some scratches in the stock and retested the 3 shot group.

I was able to take it hunting yesterday and whacked a pair of axis deer bucks.

I’ve been having problems with the Swarovski z5 returning to zero, but the rifle is back to 1/2 moa groups with 160 acubonds and reloder 26 or 23 with a .020 jump.

Here’s the unlucky bucks from yesterday hunt.

d74983afcc624dd4990e7730f8a85112.jpg
4cdc42aedb653094274c6dd960c8b26e.jpg

ChrisAU

WKR
Dang I just saw this. About to check mine. And mine is cerakoted, so I’m guessing my lead time would be more than normal.

choovhntr

WKR
I just received one of two that I sent back for the bolt recall. I am less than impressed with the test target that came back with it after Cooper worked on it and fixed the bolt. I cherry picked and looked for 6 months before I found a 300 Win mag with a one hole target and dropped the three grand and it was a shooter. I have not taken it out yet to see how it does for me after the "Fix" but if it is any indicator of what the test target is it will be a MOA gun instead of a half inch MOA gun that I bought, but according to Dawn and the Gunsmith within their specs. My 7mm comes back next week and I am hoping for the best. We will see....

My test target came back a lot worse too. Haven't shot it yet, but did email them about the fact that it wasnt 1/2 MOA. I got no response. Also, the extractor is not grabbing certain brass from the chamber. Coopers response was to have me file the extractor down. Never had a problem before with the old bolt. Pretty pissed with the results and response from them. The true result will come after shooting it. Good luck and keep us posted with your results. I'll do the same.