Cooper Model 92 (52) Backcountry Magazine Issue

• Thread starter Deleted member 39919
  • Start date
OP
D

Deleted member 39919

Not to open a can of worms, but I wonder if anyone from Cooper monitors these forums to see what we say about their products. Not sure they'd want to hear that potential customers are being swayed away by poor workmanship.

I might have to drop their sales department a line with the thread hyperlink...

OP
D

Deleted member 39919

Just got the rifle back from Cooper yesterday. Their quoted turn around time of two weeks was pretty accurate.

I haven't fired the rifle yet, but I did load the magazine up and cycled the bolt to check the feeding. Seemed to work. Will shoot it soon to confirm.

The magazine does fit snug now front to rear, but still has that side to side looseness. Oh well.

I had the same issue with my Excalibur M52 in 300 Win Mag, but I sent it back to them, they fixed it, and it has been flawless ever since. It's easily my most accurate rifle and, while it was frustrating to have an issue given the price of the rifle, it was well worth the trouble, and I will definitely have this rifle for the rest of my life. Has taken sheep, caribou, deer, hogs.....hopefully gonna kill an elk this fall.

OP
D

Deleted member 39919

Thank Doc, I'm remaining hopeful that my once in a lifetime purchase ends up being what I've always wanted. Fingers are crossed for my upcoming range visit. 😀

choovhntr

WKR
As stated before, I had some problems with my rifle. Was frustrating to say the least finally got it all dialed and it’s shooting great.
432735c98a8da568595cad2ea9dac499.jpg

Hope you have similar results.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I ordered a Cooper 92 Backcountry in 7mm mag LH through a Canadian dealer. I read quite a bit of reviews before doing so. I knew when ordering I was taking a chance on accuracy, at that time lots of reviews said they couldnt achieve Coopers accuracy guarantee.
After placing the order Cooper told the Canadian dealer 6 months and I would have the rifle and the extra spare mag I ordered. After 8 months went by I touched base with my dealer, and Cooper told them very close to being done. Well after getting run the around for a year and a half I finally got my rifle (But no spare mag) So 2 years for the rifle to be made and sent to Canada.
Either way I was happy with the rifle, fit and finish was great. I really liked the rifle.
I got it broke in as per Coopers instructions and sighted in. Shot it a bit last summer.
The day before my rifle elk hunt in western Alberta I went to the range to double check it was shooting on. Fired 3 rounds, let it cool down. After that I could not fire another round. The firing pin would not strike the primer hard enough. So I tried 4 different factory loads and none of them would fire.
Needless to say I was pretty disappointed the day before rifle elk opener.
My dealer sent the rifle to Corlanes the Canadian warranty rep.
They replaced the Timney trigger over to a Trigger Tech (Cooper website says they come with a Trigger Tech trigger????)
I now have the rifle back. It does strike the primer hard enough to fire the rounds.
But I have a few issues im concerned with. Sloppy magazine, if I single load one round and than attempt to remove the round approximitely 25% of the time the bolt wont pull the round out. I have to turn the rifle upside down and let the round fall out. Accuracy is mediocre at best 1.25" at 100yds. Ive tried 6 different factory rounds in many different bullet weights.
And I still dont have the spare mag I ordered. $220 Canadian for a spare mag and here we are over 3yrs after ordering the gun and I still dont have the mag.
Bullshit in my mind for a rifle I spent $4200 CAD on, waited 18 months longer than quoted and have issues with. This will be my first and last Cooper.
First run of 92s came with Jewell triggers, not sure where you read Timney? They switched over to TriggerTechs because Jewell triggers are known to freeze up in adverse weather conditions. Number one thing you should have checked because of your accuracy issues should have been torque settings on your action screws. Loosen them up, then retorque and go shoot. My 280AI 92 has ran flawlessly so far, but like every rifle I have I check everything myself and don't just assume that everything is in spec. Like has been said before, for every person complaining about magazine issues, there are hundreds who haven't had any issues at all. Mine will shoot sub half minute groups with both factory or handloaded ammo.

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
Yea your 100% right. I should have spent more time and money pissing around with a $4200 rifle to try and get it to shoot half decent lol.
My Cooper 92 was a piece of shit, I sold it and spent $1000 replacing it with a Tikka that is a tack driver.
Im happy to hear your Cooper shoots good, but not all of them do.
Theres enough guys that complain about magazine issues that tells me the consistency isnt where it should be in Coopers manufacturing operation.
In all honesty I have a $600 Savage that is a nicer rifle than the Cooper 92 I bought.

onetohunt

Lil-Rokslider
I have 3 Coopers including a 92 and two 52's. I was one of the guys that got a messed up mag box and sent it back. It shot sub .5 before i sent it in and when i got it back it still shot .5 moa. The other two rifles shoot equally as well. I would say that over time, i have heard more complaints about every other manufacturer than i have Coopers. I will continue to shoot and be happy with my Coopers and i hate to hear that they had an issue and that others have had some issues, but you what, they make great guns and will continue to do so!!