Corned venison

Used a recipe I found online and finished eating my second batch this week. Super easy to make, just takes 4-7 days to let it soak.

trapperJ

Lil-Rokslider
I've been corning moose for years. The pastrami doesn't last long around my place! Plus its super easy to do.

pacific-23

Lil-Rokslider
One thing to keep in mind. Single muscle roasts (football etc.) won’t turn out as well as a cut with connective tissue. My favorite to corn are shoulders, necks and shanks. Leaving all the silver skin on to maximize the moisture/collagen content. I make a “teabag” for the pickling spice out of cheesecloth so I’m not picking spices off the meat, and add cure #1 based on volume/weight chart. We do at least one five gallon bucket of venison a year and it goes fast.

Interesting. The few times I've done it I used single muscle roasts. May have to try some other cuts that usually get ground this year to see the difference.
The 'teabag' sounds like an interesting idea as well.

Hank's recipe is awesome. I've tried it three times with hind leg roasts. Error on the side of more curing time in the brine, especially with large roasts, as sometimes the cure won't reach the center. It will be saltier, but that doesn't bother me. The hind leg roasts have no fat, so they can be a bit dry compared with corned beef from the store. I found it is no problem if you slice the meat thin and put it on a sandwich with mustard, cheese, and sauerkraut. As mentioned above, a shoulder or neck roast would probably be more juicy, as long as you cook it low and slow to break down the connective tissue. Haven't tried that yet.

On a related note, I tried making Canada goose breast pastrami this year and it was insanely good. Similar process, but smoked. That might be the only way I cook goose breasts in the future.

Have done the Hank Shaw recipe many times. It is easier to let it sit longer if you weight it down so you don’t have to turn it daily. I put a porcelain plate on it, works well

Wrench

WKR
I do the single muscles by spiral cutting with a fillet knife. Start on the outside, cut and roll to form a 3/4" thick slab as long as it takes to unwind and hit the center.

Leave it open to brine. Once cured, roll it back up and wrap with butchers string. Never been able to screw it up.

My spice mix is pretty similar to the one posted.

I have done it a couple times this year. This is the first time I have ever done it. Did it with a few cuts of elk venison.

You can't go wrong with a corned elk venison Reuben sandwich.

I looked up a couple recipes online and decided to kinda make my own blend of spices for the brine. First time I did it with clove (a lot of recipes I looked up include clove) and felt like that is all I could taste. Didn't do it the second time and it was much better IMO.

wildcat33

WKR
Hanks recipe is great and provides guidance of days or brine for each pound of meat. I've found that it helps to puncture a whole muscle roast with a BBQ fork or slender knife so that the curing salts get all the way to the core of roast.

You want to get that cure all the way in, but if you let it sit for an extra day or two "just to be sure", mine come out too salty.