Cots, again.

gburk

WKR
roll-a-cot looks intriguing, hadn't heard of that before.. green is out of stock for most sizes - is the pad sleeve as useful as it looks?

JoshOR

Lil-Rokslider
Never used the pad sleeve model, throw my pad on top and haven’t had slippage issues. My family has been on them for the last 2 months with a home remodel.. needless to say can’t wait for my bed!

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
Was thinking of this bunk. Looks great for storage below and on top bunk and a space saver. Is this very firm to lay on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pretty firm, and very comfortable, in my opinion. Once set up, they are great.

Big issue is they weigh a ton, and they are kind of a pain in the butt to set up/pack up. I usually won't bother with them unless space is a real issue, or I'm planning on leaving them up for an extended period.

I use 2 of the big cabelas cots in a 10x14 flex bow. The extra room on the cots is nice, but really unnecessary....and I'm 6'4" 300lbs.

apnea

FNG
I just tried setting up and taking down the Cabelas cot and liked it, surprise it went back in the bag without a fight. Do wish it was smaller when set up. Feels huge.

gburk

WKR
I’m ordering a few roll a cots in 32” width and will report any observations here once I have them. The company has been very responsive to my inquiries

TheTone

WKR
Piece of advice if you’ve never slept on one, you can get really cold due to air circulation under you. I always use a pad on mine and typically store my camp gear under the cot

Beendare

WKR
I have been very happy with these

I have 4 of them. I slide my pad in when it is cold and sleep as good as a mattress. Made in the USA and are pretty lightweight.
Yep, awesome

gburk

WKR
Finally unbolted my wallet and took delivery of some full length 32” width roll a cots with the green fabric that takes an air pad. First impressions are pretty good, a little more length-wise play in the legs than I’d like ideally but overall they are very comfortable so I’m optimistic. Setup and take down are easy enough and they won’t take up too much room in transport, which is a big reason I picked them (in addition to made in USA)
First field test will probably be our mule deer hunt in New Mexico in January.

Been using a roll-a-cot for 20+ years in elk camp. Relatively light weight, packs nice in the carry bag. Best thing is there are no bars going across the head and the foot when I move around during the course of the night. Thermarest or similar on top and it's a great nights rest. Newer ones with the sleeping pad sleeve look like the way to go if I was doing it again unless it increases weight dramatically. Can recommend it highly.

As well, I use an inflatable pillow such as the Sea to Summit (knock-offs on eBay are half the price and work great for me) inside a sloft lined stuff sack turned inside out.

Voyageur

WKR
I have been very happy with these

I have 4 of them. I slide my pad in when it is cold and sleep as good as a mattress. Made in the USA and are pretty lightweight.
@thegrouse What size roll-a-cot do you have? How tall are you?
Thanks.

Voyageur

WKR
Very intrigued by the Roll-a-cots and would appreciate some opinions from those of you who use one on choosing a size.
Thanks.

Choose the length based on your height, width is dictated by how wide you are or do you sprawl inside your bag, move around a lot that kind of thing. Wider cots take up more room in a tent toward the center. Plenty of storage underneath the cot for most gear.

Voyageur

WKR
I emailed Roll-a-Cot telling them my size and that I would mainly use the cot in cool to cold weather. Here is Leo's prompt response. I'm posting it because I think it gives some good insights on things to consider.

I would recommend the Ibex line. The extra sleeve allows you to put a Air mattress for insulation and comfort. You could also still put foam or something on top for even more insulation. At 5’11" I would recommend the Longhorn 79” wide roll-a-cot. I would recommend the wide because you don’t want to come in contact with the aluminum side bars. They can get cold. Also The longer length because you don’t want any of you body sticking beyond the cot as it also would get cold. I also like a little extra room for comfort. If the length is a issue with your structure you could still make the 74” work."

"

Voyageur

WKR
One other option I'm comparing before purchasing a cot is the leg design. For the most part there seems to be two options: peg style legs like those on the Roll-a-cots, and bar style legs that extend from side to side. Any advantage of one over the other? Uneven ground difficulties with one more than the other?
Thanks.

I emailed Roll-a-Cot telling them my size and that I would mainly use the cot in cool to cold weather. Here is Leo's prompt response. I'm posting it because I think it gives some good insights on things to consider.

I would recommend the Ibex line. The extra sleeve allows you to put a Air mattress for insulation and comfort. You could also still put foam or something on top for even more insulation. At 5’11" I would recommend the Longhorn 79” wide roll-a-cot. I would recommend the wide because you don’t want to come in contact with the aluminum side bars. They can get cold. Also The longer length because you don’t want any of you body sticking beyond the cot as it also would get cold. I also like a little extra room for comfort. If the length is a issue with your structure you could still make the 74” work."

"
I use the blue mesh version with a foam pad on top and my inflatable mattress on top of that. No issues with contact with the side bars.

If they recommend a 79 in unit for someone who is 71 in tall, and please go with the wide version so you don't touch the bars and get cold, what the hell about somebody who's 6 ft 7 in or taller?

Seems like every other version they have would be inadequate for a 5 ft 11 human being. No knock on the height or anything but that's their recommendation?

Seeknelk

WKR
How long to set up?

We have a handful from Davis Tent and they will last a lifetime, but are somewhat of a PITA to setup.
Yeah , got one of those big boy cots too. Suckers half the weight of my whole tent canvas no joke! And a real pita to set up as mentioned. Last thing I want to do is pinch the webbing of my thumb in the fittings and pipes as we get set up. And then if you try picking it up to move it , chances are a leg set will fall off etc. Unbreakable beast but it just collects dust now. Those cheap coleman's are just mint.