Coues Deer...why?

I have enough points to hunt Coues Deer in nearly any unit. My question is "why"? I live in a state where we have big whtetails, so why would I want to hunt Coues? Help me...I am not dissing the gray ghost, but someone tell me why they are so fun to hunt. Thanks....

sbcff15

Lil-Rokslider
Beautiful country, challenging hunt, but most importantly, what else are you gonna hunt in January? Assuming you're talking about Arizona. Personally I wouldn't burn any points, I would use those on getting a kaibab or strip tag. There is plenty of awesome opportunity in the OTC units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hardest animal in North America to kill with a bow. Super awesome petite little deer that live in rugged country!!

huntinrod

Lil-Rokslider
Excellent eating too! Not to mention another "notch" in the grand slam of deer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
Incredibly difficult animal to hunt and the best tasting venison there is.
e32d35bc4dea508a85a57382e6ba7dd7.jpg

kpk

WKR
My old neighbor has some of the best whitetail land around and he goes to Arizona every year to hunt coues. He said he missed one year and it felt like he had missed an entire lifetime of hunting.

I did this hunt last year, first DIY, got the itch after reading they were "poor man's sheep hunt"... First off, nothing cheap about them or the experience!!! You'd better have some solid glass and a good rifle that can reach out... and the practice to go with it.

Such a blast to glass and stalk them. Small and hard to find, wary, they taste great and their coats are even cooler looking.

Very challenging but rewarding hunt. Go in October and hunt the whole length of season. If you get a deer you can chase rabbits, quail, mountain lion etc.

I have enough points to hunt Coues Deer in nearly any unit. My question is "why"? I live in a state where we have big whtetails, so why would I want to hunt Coues? Help me...I am not dissing the gray ghost, but someone tell me why they are so fun to hunt. Thanks....

Paul B

Lil-Rokslider
Coues hunts are a blast. Hunt them one time and your hooked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
big10hunter
In Arizona the points are for "Deer", not specifically Coues. Been putting in for Mulies and realizing I will never chase down the better units with the number of points i have. So, wondering if I should just burn the points on a good Coues hunt

With the new non-res rules up to 5% of the available tags could go to non-res in the random draw!! We always have a shot now!! I will keep swinging for the fences on the Strip and Archery or OTC for Coues.

DEHusker

WKR
I asked the same question...until one year I drew a nice tag in AZ. I am now hooked. I look forward to my Coues hunt more than any other hunt - and I live in Colorado. I can't explain why I love to hunt them so much but the country, the challenge, the solitude, the sneaky little deer, the amazing way they live on next to no water...it's just a super fun hunt. If you have ever liked spot and stalk hunting, you'll love Coues hunting. It'll be a "10" on your scale. It's just a blast.

Maverick940

Banned
Coues whitetail deer rifle permits are 100% chance to draw, even as a non-resident. So, don't waste your points on a Coues whitetail rifle permit when they're literally guaranteed.

honer

FNG
My hunting partner is looking for a great outfitter in AZ to rifle hunt these elusive deer, any recommendations?

Thanks in advance
Frank

Maverick940

Banned
Honer:

If you want to send a PM to me with your hunting partner's contact info, I can get him all lined out.

Maverick

weaver

WKR
Coues whitetail deer rifle permits are 100% chance to draw, even as a non-resident. So, don't waste your points on a Coues whitetail rifle permit when they're literally guaranteed.
All Arizona coues whitetail rifle permits are 100% draw?