Cougar attack in King County Washington.

Beendare

WKR
Thats what happens when these lions are protected and never hunted.

In Ca, there are hundreds of incidents with pets being eaten and a few attacks on people…but the F&G keeps it as hush hush as possible.

My buddy had his pet killed on his porch…the hound guy they brought in says its a regular occurrence, said he had caught 30 lions over the last few years in a 20 mile radius ( foothills near Sonora)

. The F&G wouldn’t let him snap a pic of the dead lion they caught 400y from his house As they don’t want it getting out.

Draak

FNG
Seems this time was a sub-adult on a private timber trail, with a 60 y/o woman injured and possible second lion searched for. The attack in 2018 on the inclusive biking duo was in the relatively close area of North Bend. Initial reports of that attack was the cat was emaciated but have since changed to a normal adult. Glad the attack this time wasn't fatal unlike 2018, but it's pretty wild that it went after a group of 5, even if the bike riding triggered prey response. Odd that both the attacks were against bikers considering the amount of hikers in that area including families with small children and pets. The 2023 non-fatal attack on the child in the Olympic ntl park makes a lot more sense as it was a small kid playing around a campground.

It hasn't been a particularly harsh winter, I doubt these cats are starving, and while the hunting has gotten harder by banning dogs in the state for regular hunters, their population hasn't really changed one way or another over the last few decades.

Any species that becomes acclimated to human presence is a real problem, be it coyotes, bears or lions, most people don't really care until their dog or cat gets eaten though.

While I don’t disagree unchecked predators, combined with an exploding human population will ultimately lead to more attacks…

There have been 5 dozen attacks and a dozen human deaths by cougar from 1890-1990.

Long before season closures or liberal politics.

Just because a cat attacked someone, does not automatically mean the cause is anything but just what occurred.

Now this is weird….
Lots of cats around here and zero hunting.
This was just on my driveway lol

Attachments

• IMG_6113.png
    IMG_6113.png
    610.4 KB · Views: 46

DaleW

WKR
A guy who trees cats for the state told me the speed of mountain bikes is what triggers attacks on people. I use a bike on logging roads during spring bear here in western Oregon and these incidents are always in the back of my mind. We have
a **** ton of cats because of the state banning hound hunting.

Tourguide

Lil-Rokslider
Thats what happens when these lions are protected and never hunted.

In Ca, there are hundreds of incidents with pets being eaten and a few attacks on people…but the F&G keeps it as hush hush as possible.

My buddy had his pet killed on his porch…the hound guy they brought in says its a regular occurrence, said he had caught 30 lions over the last few years in a 20 mile radius ( foothills near Sonora)

. The F&G wouldn’t let him snap a pic of the dead lion they caught 400y from his house As they don’t want it getting out.
Denial ain't just a river!

Northwet

FNG
A guy who trees cats for the state told me the speed of mountain bikes is what triggers attacks on people. I use a bike on logging roads during spring bear here in western Oregon and these incidents are always in the back of my mind. We have
a **** ton of cats because of the state banning hound hunting.
Yeah, I don't doubt that someone going by on a bike triggers a predatory response from a cat. It's interesting that in that region there have been a couple of attacks on parties with multiple riders in areas packed with people though. I'd imagine there'd be more noise, smell, etc. to demonstrate that it's a human group.

I am sure Washington Wildlife First ( anti-hunting group that openly brags about how they ended spring bear hunting and rewrote the WDFW long range strategic plan to exclude hunting and fishing) will misrepresent and weaponize this incident to push for an end to mountain lion hunting. They already successfully petitioned the WDFW Commission to re-evaluate the mountain lion and bear hunting management plan. And in case you think this is just a Washington problem, Samantha Miller Bruegger, former Executive Director of WWF, building on her success in Washington, is now in Colorado as the lead proponent of Colorado Ballot Proposition #91, mountain lion “trophy hunting” ban. She was also national director for WildEarth Guardians.