Covid-19 and New Mexico draw for non-residents

DLOsoft

FNG
I'm wondering how the ongoing situation with Covid-19 might have affected non-residents that will usually apply in New Mexico for elk and/or deer. Fronting the cost of those elk tags is not insignificant. I still applied for elk this year but only applied for tougher to draw hunts. I'm thinking draw odds may be a little bit better due to the Covid-19 concerns.

I debated for awhile. Finally applied the boy, wife, and myself. All in it was about $15k between us. I only apply for harder to draw hunts so I expect most of it back. But I still didn’t feel it was the most responsible thing to do.

I did apply my boy for 27 deer which has a better then 10% chance of drawing. So if any of us draw I expect that to be it. Could be a fun opportunity hunt for him since you can shoot a whitey or muley.

jmcd22

WKR
I doubt it had any significant impact to be honest. I'm sure there are those that wait until the last few days to apply that may not have but overall, I bet most still applied. The application period has been open for a while and I'd be willing to bet most applied before things got really bad.

rayporter

WKR
i have heard of guys asking for a refund already-others not applying.

going to be some OTC units around the country that will not get hit like last year--this is not the first time i have seen a roller coaster downturn.

krohboy

WKR
I put in for ibex, oryx and sheep only. Held out from the usual elk/deer this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fitzwho

WKR
I still put in for deer, antelope and Barbary. Skipped elk this year, but only because I was planning a Wyoming antelope tag with a buddy, who will probably be backing out now. So missing out on that one.

wysongdog

WKR
I pussed out. Was on the line anyways but the way we’ve made this virus the end of civilization. I said no. And being in the oilfield with $20 oil I’m pretty glad I did, since I better figure out something new to put food on the table.

bpctcb

WKR
I think there will be a bigger effect in states with a later application period such as Colorado.

BP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gumbl3

WKR
With my wife losing her job now, all my part time jobs that go towards fall hunting are now gonna be spent paying bills and buying groceries. Don't think I'll be applying anywhere this year

They have my $5k... it was early before alot of the hysteria started. Probably won't do Nevada though which I was thinking of starting to build in..

I put in, just because it’s so close to home being in Durango. We do have some backroads I could sneak down and get across state lines if it really hits the fan.
I think draw odds are going to be much better for NR allocated tags this app season, so why not try and fill the freeze.
I also believe that there are going to be a metrc F ton of “returned/refunded/reissued” tags in all states after the draws. This virus could have an interesting blessing in disguise quality just to try to find positive outcomes from all this.

dieNqvrs

Lil-Rokslider
I had planned on applying but held off because of the uncertainty of work/life/travel concerns at the Moment.

Trial153

WKR
I figured F it, in for a penny in for pound. Not only in NM, I am and put in for every draw in every state that i usally do...not missing any. I will worry about the what if later

Gapmaster

WKR
It’s like waiting for Christmas when you were a kid... will Results Day ever get here??? Hoping for a miracle...