Covid and your worklife

handwerk

WKR
Curious how this virus has affected people's work situation?
For my work, it is split into 1/3's
the folk school I teach at is shut down for now,
most of my carpentry jobs are delayed
and the rest of my time is spent in my woodshop, where I'm winding down the few commissions I have to do in there, but I am home so that's fine with me for now.

How about you?

Barely changed. I’m working a few more hours, meetings are different now (teleconference or video) and some appointments have been delayed. But mostly unchanged aside from new regulations to abide by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PassCreek

FNG
I'm in IT so the only change is that I don't go into the office. I've been working from home which is nice. It was definitely an adjustment but I'm going to miss WFH when things go back to normal.

Tradguy

FNG
The number of patients at the hospitals in Kansas I work at have declined overall, there is a calm before the storm feeling. We are reducing hours but still getting paid as if we were working full time. I will admit its kind of nice not having the frequent fliers coming in all hours of the day and night to our ER's. My wife is working from home, she works in banking and finance.

brushape

WKR
I'm in IT so the only change is that I don't go into the office. I've been working from home which is nice. It was definitely an adjustment but I'm going to miss WFH when things go back to normal.

Why do people need to work in an office in that line or work? I’ve been wondering this since these lockdowns have been in place you can drive direct from my house to sf at any hour of the day at 85 when it was normally gridlock. I just see the purpose of people commuting 30minutes to 2 hours to sit in an office and use a computer.

I manage wireless infrastructure...working from home and working as much or maybe even more than before Wuflu. Its hard to really tell because I am also teaching 2nd and 7th grade too with schools being closed...good times. Good news is I am safe at home and the rest of turkey tags are valid Sat.

PassCreek

FNG
Why do people need to work in an office in that line or work? I’ve been wondering this since these lockdowns have been in place you can drive direct from my house to sf at any hour of the day at 85 when it was normally gridlock. I just see the purpose of people commuting 30minutes to 2 hours to sit in an office and use a computer.

It's a lot easier to debug problems. Quite often you'll get a ticket which basically says 'Application X is broken' so it's nice being able to walk to the person's office to see what's actually happening. If I'm just writing code, yeah, I don't need much social interaction, but if I'm debugging, it's helpful to see what the user is doing. Sometimes it's as simple as what buttons are they pressing in what order. If I can see it, I can fix it.

*zap*

WKR
Solo Home & Garden business, 2 fairly big home repair jobs I had lined up cancelled. Not very much going on right now.....should be very busy.......but very slow. Switched to mostly the remodel/home repair the last few years but luckily I kept 2 lawn/landscape maintenance accounts going....really not much but at least some steady $ for 8 months starts coming in 5/1. No unemployment $ for me....and I do not want any debt so I am just going to have to tough it out. Savings will get ate up......

WCB

WKR
Working from home and going in once a week to catch up on the few things that still get pilled up on my desk. It is nice saving 50miles a day on the truck plus buying lunch most days. also saving coin on daycare. It is definitely more efficient for me to be in office though. Been at it three weeks and definitely starting to feel out of the know and in my position I need to be in the know as my department is basically the only direct contact with customers/consumers for the company.

Wife is a teacher and is working from home as well. She does daily meetings and is helping tutor/teach some kids that are having a difficult time with the online gig. She is enjoying it because we aren't sending our 10mo old to daycare. But, hates not seeing the kids and knows that you can not teach elementary age kids effectively online.

I am in HR so the amount of inquiries and consults have skyrocketed, but we are managing. Working from home has always been a goal of mine, and I think this is opening the door to it being a long term option.

That said, there may be temporary pay cuts or furloughs in the future that we have to get through first. That part sucks but would be offset almost dollar for dollar by longer paying $325/week for day care.

Poser

WKR
Working from home 100%. Lots of Google Hangouts meetings. Slower than usual but still some work coming in.

mlgc20

WKR
Largely unchanged for me. Just working from home full-time, which I did often anyway. My neighbors haven't been as lucky. Several layoffs, a few furloughs, and a few others with sizable salary reductions (10-20%).

C_Dett21

FNG
Still working 5 days a week @ Custom Fabrication shop but work definitely is slowing down.. hopefully this is over with soon.

I manage wireless infrastructure...working from home and working as much or maybe even more than before Wuflu. Its hard to really tell because I am also teaching 2nd and 7th grade too with schools being closed...good times. Good news is I am safe at home and the rest of turkey tags are valid Sat.

I work in wireless as well. CM and I get a lot of windshield time but I've been putting off site walks as much as I can lately and just working from home. This pandemic is going to be great for our industry in both the immediate and long term. I feel very fortunate to have a career in telecom.

CorbLand

WKR
Been working from home for the last 2 weeks, start of the 3rd. I dont like it as I dont have a spare bedroom or place to set up my computer and have an office. So its the kitchen table until we can go back. I work with schools all around the state of Utah. Thats been slow with all the schools basically shutting down.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
We lost all of our spring guiding business with the shutdown of non resident turkey tags.

The bank in town where my mom works went to a split schedule of 2 days at work and 2 days work from home. Split into 2 groups that alternate. But as far as I know they haven’t lost work. The worst of it hasn’t hit us yet I don’t think.

FLAK

WKR
Started working from home 3 years ago.
Been social distancing my whole life.
Business as usual.

chasewild

WKR
Curious how this virus has affected people's work situation?
For my work, it is split into 1/3's
the folk school I teach at is shut down for now,
most of my carpentry jobs are delayed
and the rest of my time is spent in my woodshop, where I'm winding down the few commissions I have to do in there, but I am home so that's fine with me for now.

How about you?

My work load has increased by 20-30% -- but not likely because of COVID. So, more accurately, it probably hasn't changed from previously docketed work.

Working at the moment finishing this shut down at a power plant then most likely laid off just like most of my local is right now they shut down almost every job that was going