Cow Elk Decoy

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Montana decoy cow elk #1 and the guys I hunt with have them as well. We don't use the legs. Instead we've cut a little hole at the top and added loop of string or wire. We just hang the decoy on a tree branch or a bush. One of the guys I hunt with carries his open most of the time and when we stop he hangs it in a tree.

With out the legs the Montana decoy is very light so its always in my pack. I don't use it all the time but there are times when it comes in handy. I've never see the decoy cause an elk to run a way though it doesn't always draw them in either.

I watched one of my hunting partners cross an open meadow in front of some bulls carrying his Montana decoy as shield to block him from being seen by the bulls. The bulls looked up, watched him for a while and then want back to feeding. He successfully crossed the meadow to go after another bull that was responding to his bugle. Turned out the other bull was a hunter.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I feel like if I were to use a heads up I would feel much better throwing it up behind a tree or a bush 40-50 yards behind me. Almost like you would set up a caller. I don't really want him looking directly at me. I would hope having it that far behind me would help pull him into bow range

It also depends on the terrain. In most the stuff I hunt, if I set it up 20 yards behind me it's not even visible to me anymore. So terrain and cover makes a difference. Also, if you were to call.......set it up........and then get 50 yards ahead of it, if you need to call again.......the bull now knows exactly where you are. But if you're patient enough to sit there and not call anymore and wait it all out......could work like a charm. I can't do that.

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, well patience is a virtue with a decoy. Sitting still is too.

We've had them look over a couple times...and then go back to doing what they were doing. Call a couple times- SPARINGLY...same thing. Then finally...not sure what was different....they would come in. I've seen it where they looked over ...nuthin...looked again...same. Then all of a sudden they just bolted in to 5 yds.

the big Mao

Lil-Rokslider
I should probably pick one up this Summer, and give it a try. Fortunately there's not a lot of hunters in this one area I hunt. The idea of using brown leggings over my pants interests me greatly though:this just might get me close enough in a sagebrush flat.

weedwacker42

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have any hacks for the Heads Up Cow Decoy? I just got one and put it together and it seems to twist on itself pretty easily, especially with the handle portion on. Seems like it would be really unstable in the wind. I realize its just tubing, but wondered if anyone came up with a mod to make it a bit more rigid.

mike123

FNG
They do not work most of the time, but depending on the situation they can help you seal the deal.

Thanks Adam for the input!

By the way your blog is fantastic and full of great information! I recommend people go check it out! Maybe some day I'll make the trip to Colorado for an elk hunt... but it's sure hard to leave Idaho to go hunt somewhere else! Lol

Thanks Man! I really appreciate the feedback about the blog! If you make your way to CO, let me know! I enjoy helping anyone I can. I hear you about leaving your home base - it certainly is tough to leave! Best of luck this year on your elk endeavors.

Anyone have any hacks for the Heads Up Cow Decoy? I just got one and put it together and it seems to twist on itself pretty easily, especially with the handle portion on. Seems like it would be really unstable in the wind. I realize its just tubing, but wondered if anyone came up with a mod to make it a bit more rigid.

It takes a bit for everything to work itself out from the packaging and shipping. Work it the opposite way, lay it flat on a hard surface and leave a few heavy books on it for a day or two. It will help the tubing retain the shape you are looking for. Also, make sure the handle is set properly so that the slotted rod is catching so it can't spin.