Coyote AR

treillw

WKR
What caliber would you go with for a Coyote AR to use out west? Wide open - can shoot as far as you can see. Windy. Probably want to stick to the AR15 platform and avoid the heavy AR10. Would also like to be able to slap a 5.56 upper on it for defense.

6.5 Grendel has been on my radar for some years. 224 valk and 22 creedmoor are interesting as well.

Can a quality built AR have accuracy on par with a bolt gun?

What are some manufacturers you would suggest? Don't want to spend $3k, but would consider some more boutique manufacturers.

If I'm investing a good bit of money into the rifle, it might be nice to take it on a deer or antelope hunt, but I have plenty of guns that can fill that role as well if the caliber is not ideal.

Thanks!

Outfitter in Tx and do a ton of hog and coyote hunting for what it’s worth

6.5 grendel is becoming my favorite cartridge. Ballistics are great, fits in mil spec AR platform and just performs. This is my go too.

223/556 I have actually been very happy with this I have used this more than any other and with decent shot placement you won’t have any issues just isn’t as forgiving as the Grendel.

As far as Brand I would def build it top to bottom you can put together a very nice setup for what many basic mil spec rifles run.

I’m a big fan a Faxon components. Brownells has some nice setups as well. I would just def use the same brand Bolt Group and Barrel on the Grendel as I have ran into some issues mismatching . Pm me if need any other suggestion.

224 is a fine round It’s just recommended to run a 20+in Barrel and it’s just to heavy for my style.

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
224 Valkayrie is pretty cool and so is the grendal but I don't think you need the 6.5 bullet for yotes and for me the 224 ammo cost and availability isn't worth the cost for a hunting rifle unless you plan on handloading components. I would just do an 18 in mid weight rifle chambered in 223 wylde unless you really want to use it for bigger game in which case the grendal makes sense. I wouldn't build mostly because of resell value. You put something together for yourself and it really only has value to you. I bought a wilson combat upper in 223 wylde and it throws together some pretty impressive groups but is probably over kill. I've seen several Daniel Defense V11 pros and V7 pros used in the 1300-1500 range and they would make a fantastic yote gun. I would find a good main stream brand and look for a 18 in barrel, rifle length gas system, and a heavy barrel that tapers after the gas block. CMMG I think is really killing it with the price vs performance but they only chamber a 556 and not a 223 wylde. Not that big of deal but I would prefer the wylde and would want a 1:7 or 8 twist barrel. BCM makes some damn nice rifles too.

howl

WKR
If you want to hit it at distance, use a bolt. It's not that the bolt is always more mechanically accurate. It's that the bolt action stock is easier to use. I'm gonna catch it over that from all the chassis users, but that's my experience.

I’ve got six AR platform rifles but don’t shoot nearly as much as I’d like. If it were me, I’d buy both a 6.5 Grendel and a 223 Wylde. I’ve gotten a few build kits from Palmetto State Armory and you can’t go wrong for the money. The stainless 6.5 in 18” bbl is a sweet rig (same with Wylde). Check out Kotaboy’s review and you’ll have a hard time not buying one. And for the money you can buy both guns and solve your dilemma with money leftover for some of those SWFA scopes these Roksliders turned me on to!

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with courtlandfarms. Definitely build one exactly how you want it. .223 for coyotes is perfect and the shorter the barrel the better. My biggest lessons in building ARs is to get a good trigger, barrel and the jp buffer. US optics just put out a really cool looking ffp 2-10 that had an msrp below $800 (650ish real purchase price I would think). You won’t need any more magnification than that. Another great optic would be the veracity ffp.

I think the perfect coyote rifle is a 243 bolt action with suppressor though. Just my opinion, as that’s the progression I made over time. Started with a dpms oracle with vortex pst 5-25. After several attempted rifle builds I now jump between my custom bolts in 243 or 204 with 3-21 optic.

Attachments

• 3957DBBA-3001-4297-BA38-27FB875D34F0.jpeg
    3957DBBA-3001-4297-BA38-27FB875D34F0.jpeg
    283.3 KB · Views: 54

robtattoo

WKR
Hmmmmmm.........
In shooting a PSA parts build, 16" wylde chambered .223 with a refinished vortex 3-9x40 crossfire. I haven't missed a yote or fix inside of 300yds yet. I might be into it for $400 & 25% of that was in the trigger.
I've not shot it past 500yds, but it'll hold minute of coyote (4") at 300 all day, every day with 65gn Sierra Gamekings over Varget.

If I was totally all out into predator calling & hunting, I'd run a bolt .22-250

ARs can be very accurate and put together groups that compete with bolt guns but they have some compromises.
1. They have longer lock time than bolt guns meaning from the time the trigger breaks to the time the primer ignites is longer and leads to more potential for the shooter to impart forces that reduce accuracy.
2. You will not get as consistent of velocities or be able to run as high of pressures as you could in a bolt gun.
3. Mag length severely limits the ability to use longer high BC bullets efficiently
4. Triggers just aren’t as good as in a bolt gun.

I would not be looking at anything 6.5 for predators. Just not enough powder in a AR15 platform to get them moving fast enough. I’d be looking in .224 or 6mm options. A 223 Wylde chamber can do very well with 69TMKs, 73 eld, and 77TMKs.

fraz01

FNG
224 valkyrie loaded with 77 grain bullets at around 3000 fps. This would be my first choice for LR coyote AR.

I have a custom built upper in 6.5 Grendel just for this. My boy is getting a 6.5 Grendel upper from Odin Works for his birthday for yote hunting. good news is it doubles as a great deer gun also. Ammunition Depot has some great deals on cheap Grendel ammo if cost is a huge concern. He also has a 243 bolt gun for said task as well. I like both and use both. The boy also shoots a 223 Wylde with 69 SMK rite now, its never disappointed on song dogs.

Piggy pack on your thread here:

What kinds of distances are you shooting coyotes?

I was under the impression 223/556 was adequate for coyote. Is that not the case?

Apollo117

WKR
Hmmmmmm.........
In shooting a PSA parts build, 16" wylde chambered .223 with a refinished vortex 3-9x40 crossfire. I haven't missed a yote or fix inside of 300yds yet. I might be into it for $400 & 25% of that was in the trigger.
I've not shot it past 500yds, but it'll hold minute of coyote (4") at 300 all day, every day with 65gn Sierra Gamekings over Varget.

If I was totally all out into predator calling & hunting, I'd run a bolt .22-250
I've got almost this exact setup and the exact same load. Only difference is my 18" barrel. I'm running a Rock River two stage trigger.

I consistently get sub MOA groups with this PSA rifle. I'm very impressed with the value and performance of my PSA rifle.