CPW is now virtue signaling

3forks

WKR
For anyone who doesn’t live on the front range of Colorado, I don’t think you can fully appreciate just how inconsiderate and oblivious a lot of the population is here.

If your dog doesn’t chase animals, is friendly to people and other dogs (don’t confuse friendly with jumping all over me and my dogs while I have them at heel), and will reliably come back to you when you call it, then I have zero problem with you running your dog off leash.

The issue for me is not many people will take the time to train their dog well enough, or are considerate enough of others, not to make their dog a problem for most people/dogs they’ll encounter on a trail or anywhere else they go.

Don’t believe me? Go visit a dog park on the front range and tell me how many of the dogs and their owners there would be able to control their animals off leash on any kind of property.

There is a local brew pub who’s niche is to allow dog owners to bring their dogs with them to the brewery, and even has an outside area for dogs to run and play. I’ve been to this place twice (under duress - I cant stand the craft beer scene and am an unabashed drinker of cheap domestic beers) and it’s chaos because of the dogs. Barking, alpha dogs bullying submissive dogs, fights... I can’t believe people subject themselves and their pets to this.

Also, there was a food hall (building with a common area that has multiple food vendors) that encouraged people to bring their dogs. They had to stop allowing dogs because of bad dog behavior and health violations due to people not picking up after their pets. And, speaking of not picking up after your pet... a large property that allowed dogs off leash had to close because of the amount of dog shit. The property is 107 acres, and park employees cleaned up about 40 to 80 pounds of dog shit per month. In an effort to keep the property open, volunteers did a massive clean up over a weekend and picked up 500 pounds of shit.

Anyway, the point is we all love our dogs... just not all of us see owning the dog and the associated responsibilities the same way.

tdhanses

WKR
No prosecutor is moving forward with a case after the dog is shot unless it’s imminently clear the dog didn’t pose a threat. That would be hard to show a prosecutor necessary evidence.

Oh yes go shoot a dog and try this, see if your right, especially when you have nothing to prove it other then the dead dog. Also shoot towards someone right behind the dog, smart moves all around.

tdhanses

WKR
Fortunately that isn’t how it works. Your dog threatens to bite somebody (especially a child) then a person doesn’t have to wait to to be bitten to kill that dog. I know that if my kids were threatened by a dog I wouldn’t be waiting for them to be bit to diffuse the situation (though killing wouldn’t be the first choice). I rather have a dead dog than a kid bit by some strangers dog that has who knows what.

Whether somebody is or isn’t prosecuted isn’t your decision either. That’s not how the legal system in this country works (thank god).

I don’t have strong opinions on this topic but people wonder why we have so many asinine laws in this country? Just read the responses in this thread. Many folks refuse to be considerate to others or exercise common sense until somebody makes something illegal. Unfortunate state of society.

Being barked at from 20 yards isn’t being threatened.

tdhanses

WKR
For anyone who doesn’t live on the front range of Colorado, I don’t think you can fully appreciate just how inconsiderate and oblivious a lot of the population is here.

If your dog doesn’t chase animals, is friendly to people and other dogs (don’t confuse friendly with jumping all over me and my dogs while I have them at heel), and will reliably come back to you when you call it, then I have zero problem with you running your dog off leash.

The issue for me is not many people will take the time to train their dog well enough, or are considerate enough of others, not to make their dog a problem for most people/dogs they’ll encounter on a trail or anywhere else they go.

Don’t believe me? Go visit a dog park on the front range and tell me how many of the dogs and their owners there would be able to control their animals off leash on any kind of property.

There is a local brew pub who’s niche is to allow dog owners to bring their dogs with them to the brewery, and even has an outside area for dogs to run and play. I’ve been to this place twice (under duress - I cant stand the craft beer scene and am an unabashed drinker of cheap domestic beers) and it’s chaos because of the dogs. Barking, alpha dogs bullying submissive dogs, fights... I can’t believe people subject themselves and their pets to this.

Also, there was a food hall (building with a common area that has multiple food vendors) that encouraged people to bring their dogs. They had to stop allowing dogs because of bad dog behavior and health violations due to people not picking up after their pets. And, speaking of not picking up after your pet... a large property that allowed dogs off leash had to close because of the amount of dog shit. The property is 107 acres, and park employees cleaned up about 40 to 80 pounds of dog shit per month. In an effort to keep the property open, volunteers did a massive clean up over a weekend and picked up 500 pounds of shit.

Anyway, the point is we all love our dogs... just not all of us see owning the dog and the associated responsibilities the same way.

Having a dog is responsibility and they should be trained well before being in public, no excuse for crappy dogs.

3forks

WKR
Being barked at from 20 yards isn’t being threatened.

I agree, but it’s fricking annoying. Why would you let your dog do this?

Actually, I know the answer... it’s more convenient for you not to train your dog to not bark at people.

tdhanses

WKR
I agree, but it’s fricking annoying. Why would you let your dog do this?

Actually, I know the answer... it’s more convenient for you not to train your dog to not bark at people.

No more annoying then the dog on a leash barking. Some dogs bark, doesn’t mean they’ll attack. My dog has zero issue outside of her yard and doesn’t bark, horses, people and in general not much bothers Her outside of her home.

Lowndes

FNG
With Idaho stating he’ll shoot off leash dogs, can’t just shoot one because you have a fear of them.

That's not what anybody is saying. Nobody is advocating killing dogs just because they feel like it. That said there are situations out there where people are faced with tough decisions because of bad dog owners and bad dogs. And people can feel threatened before actually getting bit and it really isn't your decision whether they reacted appropriately or not. You can file a complaint if you feel your dog was harmed unnecessarily but your influence ends about there.

tdhanses

WKR
The best part about this thread is the people defending their disobedient dogs, probably the same people that can't make their kids behave either

No one is defending a disobedient dog, just funny how some of you classify all dogs off leash as disobedient.

That's not what anybody is saying. Nobody is advocating killing dogs just because they feel like it. That said there are situations out there where people are faced with tough decisions because of bad dog owners and bad dogs. And people can feel threatened before actually getting bit and it really isn't your decision whether they reacted appropriately or not. You can file a complaint if you feel your dog was harmed unnecessarily but your influence ends about there.

On the criminal side it would just be telling the prosecutor the story and asking them to move forward with charges. The person who’s dog was shot could also file a civil complaint. Tough sledding on both accounts.

tdhanses

WKR

I’ll be the first to defend my family and dog if another attacks but I’m not scared of a dog barking at me. I’ve not yet ran into an aggressive dog but I also don’t hang out in the front range.

Someone shoots my dog in front of me I can tell you I’ll be in fear of my and my families lives and will take appropriate means to protect them.

Plain and simple it isn’t illegal in most Federal lands to have your dog off leash. Maybe everyone should stay out of them and and just go to leash only areas 😂

I will say this I can tell there isn’t much common ground, you either like or dislike dogs and that’s what plays into this mostly.

Last edited:

3forks

WKR
No one is defending a disobedient dog, just funny how some of you classify all dogs off leash as disobedient.
That’s not it at all. Sounds like your dog is well behaved off leash, but a lot aren‘t and those dogs and their owners are what I (and I think others have an issue with).

Also, to the point about a dog that barks while on a leash... Doesn’t matter to me. Correct your dog when it barks regardless of whether it’s on a leash or off.

tdhanses

WKR
On the criminal side it would just be telling the prosecutor the story and asking them to move forward with charges. The person who’s dog was shot could also file a civil complaint. Tough sledding on both accounts.

Good luck

tdhanses

WKR
That’s not it at all. Sounds like your dog is well behaved off leash, but a lot aren‘t and those dogs and their owners are what I (and I think others have an issue with).

Also, to the point about a dog that barks while on a leash... Doesn’t matter to me. Correct your dog when it barks regardless of whether it’s on a leash or off.

An aggressive dog has no place in public areas period.