CPW News Release Reductions 5-10-23

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider

Press release on the reduced cow tags and reduced length seasons. How will this effect your applications?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Applications are already in. It seems like as conservationists, we should not allow any cow hunting until this herd rebounds in 4 or 5 years. Possibly eliminate one or more bull rifle seasons.
I think the issue is alot more complex than this.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

WKR
The part that is complex is figuring out how to pay all those DOW salaries and overhead with reduced cow tags. The part that wants the elk herd to bounce back is the part that says don't shoot your breeding stock after a natural disaster. That part doesn't seem real complex. YMMV.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
The part that is complex is figuring out how to pay all those DOW salaries and overhead with reduced cow tags. The part that wants the elk herd to bounce back is the part that says don't shoot your breeding stock after a natural disaster. That part doesn't seem real complex. YMMV.
Over half the units were over elk objective numbers which was a big part of winter mortality.

sacklunch

WKR
I could yes

Sure you could😉

Was actually curious... but you apparently just wanted to tell him he didn't have the whole picture with no intent to provide said whole picture.

Last edited:

Ucsdryder

WKR
Don’t forget the fish hatcheries and foot bridges!!!

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
Does this have any bearing on the published April recommended tag reductions? Will there be further tag reductions in line with that report?

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
Seems very interesting to me that they would reduce these tag numbers to protect the herd numbers (which I agree with), but then turn around and put wolves on the ground in the same areas very soon afterwards.
Maybe this will have them rethinking that issue next? Hope so.

I’m glad they didn’t stop hunting in those units. Don’t want people getting used to absolutely no hunting. The 10 tag minimum seems reasonable and should allow the elk to start to recover. I would expect tag numbers to be low for quite a few years.

Wonder if we will still hear people complaining about too many hunters in the GMU E-6? That’s a significant reduction in cow tags for an area. I am surprised they didn’t lower bull tags unless I missed it in the article.

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider

I am opinion that the DOW salary/overhead is not that complex. Reduce the amount of opportunity to increase scarcity and raise the cost of tags exponentially.

cnelk

WKR
All I know is that GoHunt, TopRut and other draw stats are going to take a beating this year in Colorado