Kansan plead guilty to poaching Moose in Colorado

20k in fines, guess that's the cost to illegally skip the long line of point holders and kill a moose in Colorado. Too light of a fine in my opinion.

I'm glad they threw the book at this criminal not hunter. We like our moose here in CO. Stay away if you can't do it the right way.

Last edited:
20k, suspended hunting privileges. and a felony on his record is better than a lot of poaching cases I have seen. Beats the slap on the wrist crap that happens all too often.
Agree. Largest/most significant penalty I remember seeing for a single animal case. Good to see a punishment that will actually hurt.

sambo3006

FNG
What a douche. Was he hunting elk and succumbed to the temptation of shooting the moose or was he just out there strictly to illegally kill a moose? Either way I'm glad they caught him.

chindits

WKR
Solid case thanks to that game camera and follow up investigation across state lines. I’m glad to hear all the agencies played well together with even Co Spr PD lending some expertise.

Penalty is one of the highest that I recall.

👍

TSAMP

WKR
I've got to wonder if this guy knew what he was doing? I don't think it matters. Good for them catching him. But hiding that moose? Looks like a toddler did it.

pds794

FNG
20k, suspended hunting privileges. and a felony on his record is better than a lot of poaching cases I have seen. Beats the slap on the wrist crap that happens all too often.
Agreed. This was one person, who made a horrible but hopefully singular decision to poach, who got a harsher punishment than some people who've ran organized poaching operations for years. I'm glad they caught him, but feels a little backwards to me.

OP
T
Agreed. This was one person, who made a horrible but hopefully singular decision to poach, who got a harsher punishment than some people who've ran organized poaching operations for years. I'm glad they caught him, but feels a little backwards to me.
Idk about that. It can take decades for someone to draw a bull moose tag in lower 48, not like him poaching a whitetail in Kansas or something. People will die before they draw that tag and he poached it. That feels real dirty to me.

hold on, first, glad a poacher was caught. now, there just happened to be a trail cam on a random chunk of public land and it happened to catch a poacher shooting a moose? yet we still have never caught bigfoot or LBC's. somethings going on here.
I agree the photos look as if he made a mistake with identity, a poacher wouldn't just leave the whole carcass. although I'm shocked at the punishment given CO's recent history. not sure I agree with the message they are sending.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Idk about that. It can take decades for someone to draw a bull moose tag in lower 48, not like him poaching a whitetail in Kansas or something. People will die before they draw that tag and he poached it. That feels real dirty to me.
A felony is no joke. Say goodbye to your firearms for life.

D S 319

WKR
they must’ve showed him shooting that moose or he got bullied into the plea to save jail time. Sucks to be a poor man in America.

A felony is no joke. Say goodbye to your firearms for life.
Not necessarily in all cases. I have seen a couple first hand. I’d wager on him getting them back someday.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
He pled to a deferred judgment on the felony, so it will be dismissed in a couple of years if he doesn't screw up. He can petition to have the misdemeanor conviction sealed in a few years, so it will basically not exist if the judge seals it. His probation will probably be transferred to Kansas and it will not be demanding. He got off easy.