Crispi Briksdal questions

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Was looking at these boots for an upcoming Dall's hunt. I see they have a "regular" and a SF (stiffer yet) was wondering if anyone had experience with either.

I own a pair of Crispi Thor II's and other than the midfoot being just a little loose- fit is perfect, toe box is the best I've worn in a boot. Hoping fitment is similar.

Another Crispi boot you'd consider over the Briksdal for a sheep hunt?

Thanks in advance.

matthewmt

WKR
I had a pair of the non insulated briksdal, 4-5 on the stiffness scale according to a few retailers. Not having worn a lot of stiff boots I was expecting them to be quite stiff but they didn't seem very stiff to me. More flexible than lowa tibets imo.
The toe box is more narrow than the Nevada by quite a bit. Definitely a more technical fit.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the Thor’s are decently stiff for a lightweight boot, they may be rated a 4

maybe best if I order both the “regular” and SF at the same time and try them both

technical fit would work if the toebox isn’t too narrow, the midfoot

Moserkr

WKR
Ive been researching crispi’s briksdal boots after my feet gained a size by flattening out wearing the summit’s, but i got 1000 miles out of them. Following along since im looking at the briskdals. From what ive read the SF would be best for sheep hunting. I mainly do elk/muleys in sheep country, so im going with the regular version. But alaska and sheep, id go SF without looking back. They are similar flex and still less than a true mountaineering boot from my hw fwiw.

Just bought a pair of the briksdals and fit is very similar to the Thors. If you like the Thors you should be GTG with the Briksdals. Flex in the regular is comparable to the Thors as well so if you want stiffer, go with the SF’s

Vandy321

WKR
I dont sheep hunt, but I do have a fair ammount of time in my briksdals up in the scree and rocks above treeline, the same pair is going strong after 2 full seasons of scouting/hunting. They are a good stiffer boot, but not crampon compatible type stiff. I find them extremely comfortable, but slightly heavy. They are nice and stable in the blowdown with decent pack weight, but I'd want more if I was spending 14 days straight up in the rocks. The toe box is also very narrow on the briksdals.

I like a narrow boot, but wanted a slightly stiffer boot for this ywar and one with a little wider toe box...ended up with the Scarpa Zodiak Tech after after ton of research. My briksdals now have winter dog walking duty.

Also, for the regular vs SF...I ordered both, the SF felt slightly larger in the same size, but overall I didn't notice much of a difference in stiffness between the two. Neither have that ski-boot feel on flat ground like a true mountaineering boot.

Last edited:
OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks guys!

Definitely not looking for plastic boot stiff :)

Were the SF’s bigger in the toe box vs the regular?

My feet aren’t wide, so snug heel and midfoot is good, but I need a pretty decent toe box (which the Thor’s have), that’s typically the reason I have to nix a boot.

Thanks

Vandy321

WKR
The SFs felt 1/4 size larger (longer) to me than the regular, both were a sz 10. Both were narrow all the way through for my foot. So much so that my I finally figured out my toes weren't going numb because of the cold, but that they were being squeezed a bit too much with liners and darn tough full cushion. Thats why I went to the zodiak tech...narrow in heel and mid-foot, then a wider toe box.

If you order from blackovis, they offer free returns shipping, a good way to try the toe box out for yourself if you can't find them locally.

Last edited:
I hunted sheep and caribou last year in the Briksdale GTX. I'm 175lbs and my pack + gun came in at ~55lbs for most the trip but did get it up to 100+lbs on the way out. For me it was a great all around stiffness for the whole hunt, and I'm glad that I can still use them for backpacking trips where the SF version would be a bit too much. Would the SF have been more comfortable on the pack-out? Maybe, but I can't say for sure.

Did have some rand issues near the toe and some stitching pull, but that's a different story. Crispi took care of it for me, so we'll see how pair #2 does this year...

Big Ern

WKR
I have the Briksdal gtx (regular flex). Great all around mtn boot for muleys/elk. I don’t find them very stiff. Comfy and supportive, but not stiff.

for a sheep hunt or anything requiring technical terrain, I would definitely go with the SF.

I have a pair of Briksdal SF I wore them on my dall sheep hunt in Alaska and love the boots.
We spent 6 days chasing sheep in brooks range with a super heave pack plus and I don’t have one negative thing to say .. well maybe just the 200 grams of insulation would of loved to have a non insulated boot.. so I just ordered the GTX’s for my June hunt in Azerbaijan..I would of just taken my SF’s but with integrity hunt taken place in June I know it will be HOT..

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
for some reason I thought the SF came in insulated and non-insulated, looks like only insulated- I'd much prefer non-insulated

Last edited:
OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
this video was very helpful; guy from Crispi talking about the different lasts and which boots share the same lasts- Thor shares the same last as the Briksdal :D