Crispi's.... anyone else have this problem?

I bought a pair of Crispi Nevadas for my elk hunt this year. Break in was a breeze and they are absolutely the most comfortable boot I ever owned. They made my feet a little achey, but I attribute that into not being used to mountain hunting out west. Nothing that was intolerable, just knew I was crawling around the mountains all day.

Anyway. We hunted in snow out there and these things are absolutely horrible in the snow. I never slipped and slid and fell as much as I did wearing these things. It was to the point I almost went searching for some traction things that slide over the bottom (can't remember what they're called) or I was about to go buy another pair of boots out there.

Fast forward to being back home in PA. I went on a still hunting mission the other day in fresh snow. Same thing. Slipped and slid horribly. I switched to my old Irish Setters that I use for treestand hunting the next day... no problems. They grip great in the snow.

I really love my Crispi's, but they really suck in the snow. Anyone else have this issue?

I bought a pair of Nevada’s in the middle of our PA rifle season and was able to wear them the last week. We had ~4” of snow left. I was hunting a gravel pit with a lot of steep and slippery terrain. I had the opposite experience as you. I was actually extremely impressed by their grip. I did notice the sole is a lot stiffer than I am used to.

huntsd

WKR
I’ve tried a few pair of crispi. Even with after market insole they don’t work for my feet. Most people seem to love them but for what ever reason my feet don’t jive with them!

nobody

WKR
I bought a pair of Crispi Nevadas for my elk hunt this year. Break in was a breeze and they are absolutely the most comfortable boot I ever owned. They made my feet a little achey, but I attribute that into not being used to mountain hunting out west. Nothing that was intolerable, just knew I was crawling around the mountains all day.

Anyway. We hunted in snow out there and these things are absolutely horrible in the snow. I never slipped and slid and fell as much as I did wearing these things. It was to the point I almost went searching for some traction things that slide over the bottom (can't remember what they're called) or I was about to go buy another pair of boots out there.

Fast forward to being back home in PA. I went on a still hunting mission the other day in fresh snow. Same thing. Slipped and slid horribly. I switched to my old Irish Setters that I use for treestand hunting the next day... no problems. They grip great in the snow.

I really love my Crispi's, but they really suck in the snow. Anyone else have this issue?
My experience has been the opposite. Their soles have NEVER let me down and never left me wanting for traction! Maybe you've got an old pair with a time-hardened rubber outsole? Rubber can harden with time, I would call them up, because that's not normal at all.

OP
M
My experience has been the opposite. Their soles have NEVER let me down and never left me wanting for traction! Maybe you've got an old pair with a time-hardened rubber outsole? Rubber can harden with time, I would call them up, because that's not normal at all.

Definitely not an old pair. They were purchased brand new in May from a local dealer who had to order in my size from Crispi.

I don't know. These things just don't feel as stable in the snow as my Irish setters do. It was night and day different imo. I love these boots outside of this issue in the snow. I wore them quite a bit in spring turkey, summer scouting and most of the fall when it wasn't too cold for uninsulated boots. I joked with my buddy that when I'm wearing them, I feel like a race car... lol. But the snow...

OP
M
I bought a pair of Nevada’s in the middle of our PA rifle season and was able to wear them the last week. We had ~4” of snow left. I was hunting a gravel pit with a lot of steep and slippery terrain. I had the opposite experience as you. I was actually extremely impressed by their grip. I did notice the sole is a lot stiffer than I am used to.

They definitely are quite a bit stiffer than anything I have ever owned but I found my feet love that. They are incredibly stable and agile. I just felt like I slipped and slid quite a bit in them. Maybe I walk goofy....

Wrench

WKR
Much like tires, the traction available is dependent upon the flexibility of the rubber and the shape of the lugs. Lug shape on a shoe isn't much of a difference, but flex is. A highly flexible boot will do better on slick surfaces, but give up on scree....it's all about balance.

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider

I've been impressed by my insulated Nevadas in the snow. Their softer soles seem noticeably better than most vibram soles I've used.

Maybe your Irish Setters are just that much better in the snow, but for an all around mountain boot (probably optimized for rocky gravel conditions), Crispis do quite well. They aren't near as good in snow/ice as a "bobbed" soft rubber sole pack boot, but for general mountain boots, Crispis do quite well.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Definitely not an old pair. They were purchased brand new in May from a local dealer who had to order in my size from Crispi.

I don't know. These things just don't feel as stable in the snow as my Irish setters do. It was night and day different imo. I love these boots outside of this issue in the snow. I wore them quite a bit in spring turkey, summer scouting and most of the fall when it wasn't too cold for uninsulated boots. I joked with my buddy that when I'm wearing them, I feel like a race car... lol. But the snow...
Doesn't mean they don't have a hardened sole on them. Crispis and my feet don't mix, but the ones I've owned before had sticky soles on all kinds of terrain

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've had the Nevada's, Guide's, and now the Wildrocks and I think the traction is great. For myself the harder and stiffer soul does make them kind of clumsy in the PA mountains. I think I get where your coming from but I think my legs got used to it over time. FWIW If not for my injured toe liking a boot that doesn't flex a lot I wouldn't want any of these for PA hunting.

Edit: I feel the souls stick well but it's the lack of flex and contouring to the terrain that's my problem. Also I do hate the way snow sticks to the bottom sometimes.

I've worn the Nevada Elk hunting in co with no problems other than fit. They were great in that terrain.

Elk2008

Lil-Rokslider
I just got some wild rocks and have been wearing them in deep snow and the traction has been really good for me.

Honyock

WKR
I've used mine in everything and haven't had an issue. Make sure you change out the insoles. Boot makers put the cheapest insole they can find in their boots because they know everyone is going to switch them out with Superfeet, Lathrop&Sons, etc

cnelk

WKR
Did you happen to leave the boots out in the sun or in a hot place for the soles to dry out?

Jimss

WKR
I have several different pairs of Crispis and never really had a problem on snow or ice. Obviously not every sole is created equally but all my Crispis are fine. On pure ice no boot is likely going to work but some are definitely better than others. I don't find myself sliding all over the place in snow though.