Crossing Creeks

sivart

WKR
Just got back from scouting trip. A lot of swelled up creeks. I couldn't get to a few spots.

What are some recommendations for lightweight waders? I looked at the Choda ones, but I don't know that my boots are waterproof enough for those to actually keep your feet dry?

Marble

WKR
For multiple crossings, I would bring a Sandle, flip flop, croc or whatever. Strip my pants and socks then get after it.

If it's just one crossing and you already have them, hip waders work well.

Regardless, bring extra socks.

Without seeing what you're talking about its hard to give too much advice. Any wader is going to be pretty dang bulky and heavy. One place I hunt guys use them to cross and then leave them on the other side. Go hunting and then return to use them on their way back.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

BBob

WKR
No personal experience but I see a lot of the AK moose hunters recommend, use and wear the Wiggys.

For summer scouting and if the creeks are deep enough I’d think I’d take some light wading shoes or trail runners.

Last edited:
I’ll second the trail runner approach. I’ve tried the wader option, they are bulky and the lightweight versions just got holes in them so I was carrying useless shit. Crocs get slippery and therefore dangerous. When I go to alaska, I usually wear shorts and trail runners until I know I am done crossing the same creek multiple times.

jolemons

WKR
In warmer weather where boots will dry overnight, I don't worry about getting them wet. Usually with wool socks, boots will dry out as you continue hiking. In colder weather, I would opt for wiggys or other alternative. As previously mentioned, Crocs are tempting but are dangerous.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back from scouting trip. A lot of swelled up creeks. I couldn't get to a few spots.

What are some recommendations for lightweight waders? I looked at the Choda ones, but I don't know that my boots are waterproof enough for those to actually keep your feet dry?
Tevas that strap my foot in and have the vibrant sole. Slightly heavier than crocs but the pants and socks come off when I cross. Unless I'm in a hurry and on something

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
I use crocs (knockoffs) and break out the trekking poles if I have them, it can be slippery but crocs are nice in camp as well, have gone bare foot or find a spot to rock or log hop across

*zap*

WKR
dive booties will give you good footing all the way across and are a backup shoe to wear hiking. I think crocs suck for crossing water, no offense to anyone.

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
I go barefoot. But I was thinking of getting some tall rubber boots to cross one river and then stash.