Crossing Creeks

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
dive booties will give you good footing all the way across and are a backup shoe to wear hiking. I think crocs suck for crossing water, no offense to anyone.
Oh no question they suck for crossing water! I’ll have to check in those booties

one or two, I’ll just wade with bare feet, actually gives them a bath. Light pair of crocks work fine as well.

Pack out, boots on straight to truck and walk em dry.

Attachments

• 5FF0FCD9-3206-44E6-82A7-D62AE5E41DA0.jpeg
    5FF0FCD9-3206-44E6-82A7-D62AE5E41DA0.jpeg
    400.6 KB · Views: 43

BDRam16

WKR
Last season I did lightweight water shoes with the insoles removed that double as camp shoes and pants rolled up of stripped off. Really working on lightening up the pack so they'll probably get cut out this year.

z987k

WKR
I bought the Chotas last year. They're the thing to have for multiple crossings or standing in water. They are a hip wader, just a lot lighter weight than most and you can roll them down when not in the water.

They keep your feet dry the same way neoprene waders do. The boot gets wet. You need a self bailing fishing boot to go with them. There's a few on the market now that are also hiking boots with legit ankle support and vibram type soles that you can hike in all day.

I did the wiggy's for a few years. Go ahead and use them until they fail and throw them away and get the chotas.

Dave_

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back from scouting trip. A lot of swelled up creeks. I couldn't get to a few spots.

What are some recommendations for lightweight waders? I looked at the Choda ones, but I don't know that my boots are waterproof enough for those to actually keep your feet dry?
I'd guess alot of those Creeks will be flowing much less in the fall.

Depending on the creek crossing I'm usually barefoot. My Crocs get slick on wet rocks. Lightweight water shoes or tevas would be my next go to.

Unless the crossing was right next to the truck and I could hide them in the bushes on the other side. I don't know why anyone would carry waders around Unless it's AK or muskeg habitat

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

BDRam16

WKR
I'd guess alot of those Creeks will be flowing much less in the fall.

Depending on the creek crossing I'm usually barefoot. My Crocs get slick on wet rocks. Lightweight water shoes or tevas would be my next go to.

Unless the crossing was right next to the truck and I could hide them in the bushes on the other side. I don't know why anyone would carry waders around Unless it's AK or muskeg habitat

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Last year we had the opposite problem. We went third week of September and every meadow we scouted was a marsh. The several creeks we found seemed higher than average.

bz_711

WKR
Yep. I did.
Hard to believe it’s been 9 years ago already

One of the greatest tips I have gotten from Rokslide (there have been many).
I made these tyvek boots as soon as I read this post years ago...to this day I still keep a pair in my pack at all times...and have used multiple times. Bring the hiking sticks along too.

I would even say they were responsible for me tagging my second bull in '14 as I had always wanted to cross a large creek to hunt as I knew no other hunters were accessing that area. Shot that bull a whopping 300yds from my Suburban:)

hobbes

WKR
I've done the barefoot thing a time or two but damn my feet can't take that. In my younger days it probably wouldn't have been a problem. Now, it feels like I have no padding between bone and rock and hurts. I can't torture my feet that way anymore. If the creek is all big flat rocks, that would be okay besides the possibility of busting your arse on the green slime.

I've used cheap water shoes that helped but will likely use Crocs next time.

I've seen guys use contactor bags (heavy duty trash bags) but I've not used them.

BBob

WKR

Stoney920

Lil-Rokslider
I was on a scouting trip about 3yrs ago. There was a log across a rushing creek about 4 feet deep probably 10 feet below. It was a do it or get left behind sorta deal. I’d just as soon not do that again and look into other options!

+1 for crocs, May be slippery but take your time, cautiously make each step using the rocks to “lock you in” and/or use trekking poles and I’ve never had an issue. Light weight and easy to clip on.

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Tie dye crocks for me and take your pants off if needed. Color choice is due to me forgetting loosing the green, black, and brown ones. Cant miss the colorful ones when you pack up camp🤦‍♂️if needing more pick up a pair of Wiggys. 15oz.