Crowd Sourced Optics Comparison (CO area) ***Updated 3/9/24***

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
Will echo in PMs as well...But Saturday looks like a "Go."

Made it out today to scout out one of the two areas (other is closed for construction...not sure if it will be open).

Target at 600 yds quartering into sun setting. Zoomed photo is Kowa 66 @60x. Other is Mini Razor @ 39x. Both at 1.6x iPhone zoom. Like always...looks way better to the eye. It does look like I will need a second target in closer for the binos to pick up enough resolution for the charts. I am also considering dropping a whitetail mount up on the hill at 1,000 yards but that will take some effort I am not sure I am ready for yet.

For those coming, look for some instructions Friday for how to get on base and where to go. My # will be in the PMs too. If folks want to bring their own targets or "things" that will make comparing easy, that is awesome.

Right now I plan on comparing:
-Center Resolution (via charts)
-Edge to edge clarity (via same charts)
-FOV (likely via some stakes at even intervals)
-Color and contrast (using natural landscape)
-CA if we see some of it on the targets or landscape
-Anything else folks want to see

More info in two days, but plan on it if you are free and want to come.

Attachments

• IMG_9897.jpeg
    IMG_9897.jpeg
    310.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9896.jpeg
    IMG_9896.jpeg
    377.8 KB · Views: 48
OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
If anyone has a 3D deer/elk mount they are willing to bring it would save me from having to set my first deer ever shot buck out there on a hill….which I’m not super excited about.

Still think there’s a decent shot at seeing live game, but would like to have a b/u to count tines at distance if we can.

feanor

WKR
For those interested, I’ll be at the AF range around 12:00 to shoot. I’m double checking to make sure the 3d foam targets are up. But the pressboard target courses should be up and running. You can buy your pass on their website the day that you are shooting (sat) for $15 I believez. if anybody’s interested shoot me a PM.

feanor

WKR
Update- the east range is open. So targets and 3d. Check their website for more info or PM me.

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
@MattCO still welcome to bring the euro but Archery club did loan a deer.

Attachments

• IMG_9902.jpeg
    IMG_9902.jpeg
    248.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
good deal on organizing this tahoe. sharing some consensus findings would be appreciated
Yup sure thing. Will work with the RS gang to see if/how they want a write up. Assuming I will just do my own thing and if they want to pin/publish it sweet. If not I will just push it out on this thread. Weather looking good still for tomorrow so hoping to have it written up and out by end of the month as a goal.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Yup sure thing. Will work with the RS gang to see if/how they want a write up. Assuming I will just do my own thing and if they want to pin/publish it sweet. If not I will just push it out on this thread. Weather looking good still for tomorrow so hoping to have it written up and out by end of the month as a goal.
Looking forward to seeing the atc review, pretty set on it, but will be interesting to see how it stacks up against others

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
cross posting from PMs just in case someone isn't on there.

Alright gents, details for tomorrow below:

-Meet at the USAFA commissary by 2:30, those that want to help set up, meet there at 2 (I really only need 1 person).
-Address is 5126 Community Center Dr, Air Force Academy, CO 80840.
-Meet towards the dumpsters at the south end of the parking lot. I am in a Grey 2000 Tahoe.
-Dress warm, it will be chilly.
-Plan to hang out till last light which will be close to 6pm (but leave whenever).
-I have clip boards, worksheets to fill out, pencils, water, etc
-Bring a chair/butt pad and a tripod / outdoorsman adapter /ARCA plates if you can. The ground has some cacti that suck.
-If someone has a foldable table, please bring it (I will drape with a packing blanket so we can set stuff).
-Use masking tape (I will have some) to label your equipment with your name.
-Please be careful with equipment and be prepared to buy/fix stuff if you screw up (most of this stuff I don't own....and no one is coming to eat thousands in damage!).
-Please attempt to fill out the worksheet I provide. I will compile all our findings and attempt to write something coherent up...you guys can pile on top of it too.
-We will have resolution charts at 600 and 300 yards. Some x mas lights at 300 yds. Stakes at 600 yds for FOV. And a 3D whitetail buck at ~1000 yds. Anything else you want to look at, bring with you.
-Rough directions from Denver. I-25 South. Take North gate exit west through USAFA security gate. They WILL ask if you have drugs or weapons. Don't bring drugs. If you have a conceal carry, you are fine (don't have guns outside of that). Don't lie, say yes and show them your CCP with your drivers license. They will look in the trunk/back of your ride. Through the gate take a Left on Stadium Blvd. Then Right on Community Center Drive. The commissary parking lot is past and left of the gas station (See attached map for those who refuse to use phone apps!).
-If you want to use the archery range prior (see link below) cost is $15pp as a guest paid online (it's 5 min from where we are meeting). Takes about an hour to run the 20 target 3D course. It is pretty awesome.

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
Looking forward to seeing the atc review, pretty set on it, but will be interesting to see how it stacks up against others
I haven't looked through it yet to be honest, but I am too. Folks say it's legit. What I have used a handful of times and been really impressed with is the razor mini spotter. I am impressed simply because it isn't $$ and weighs 28oz (with a arca plate build in). I "think" we will find it can see stuff just fine at distance, but suffer from edge to edge and a nicer picture. Difference will be what that "value" is worth.

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
Sure do. Thought I dropped it in the PMs, but website below:

On there go onto membership and select guest day pass. Pay $15 online and it's all yours. Follow same directions as above, but you will turn left on a dirt road just after you turn right on community center drive. When that dirt road dead ends you will see the range lot. There is a warm up area then if you go left down the hill you will see the 3D courses start.

It's worth the time.

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
Last bump in case any of you late light lurkers missed the note. See folks tomorrow.

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
Well the good news is…it happened and we had a good turn out. “Maybe” the bad news is we ended up with more optics than probably reasonable to handle (I bet we had 20-30) and compare objectively. But we will compile what we found and do our best.

Thanks to those who made it out. For the others my goal is to consolidate and try and have something out by end of the month.

Attachments

• IMG_1973.jpeg
    IMG_1973.jpeg
    514.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1972.jpeg
    IMG_1972.jpeg
    559 KB · Views: 66