Custom 3006?

Lawnboi

WKR
Long story short is after a lot of shooting this summer, for me atleast, Iv come to the conclusion that a magnum rifle is foolish for me. My current only high power rifle is a 300 win mag. I don’t see myself shooting at something over 500 yards away until Iv burnt quite a few barrels, doing so with a 300 win mag is now looking very expensive. Seems like a 3006, could be loaded for about whatever I want to do, whether it be shoot light or heavy, not have terrible recoil or noise, be more affordable and have premium components for reloading available. Is a custom 3006 still relevant, or would I be nuts not going a different direction?

Iv got a manners eh1 with a bdl mini chassis, long action, hence looking for a long action.
Ordered a Bartlein 3 in 30 cal, 10 twist.
Plan on Hawkins or stock rem bdl.
Not sure on trigger yet.

Leaning towards a defiance tenacity for the action, would like to keep action cost under 1000.

Any advice? Will have a semi custom 6.5 tikka coming next spring if all goes well, so I’ll have that base covered. Having never owned a custom rifle, this will be a first for me. But after being burned by a couple crappy shooting factory rifles I think it may be the way to go.

Apollo117

WKR
Can you explain the main purpose of the rifle? It sounds like you'll be mostly practicing, but also using this rifle for hunting. Am I correct that you are looking for a cheaper to shoot and lower recoiling alternative to a magnum?

If I am understanding correctly, then yes, a 30'06 would be cheaper and lower recoiling than a magnum. I realize that 308 Win does not utilize the long action, but that alone should not prevent you from selecting 308 Win over 30'06. These cartridges are very similar. However, the 308 Win has better brass availability and has the benefit of using less powder. 308 Win recoils slightly less given equally weighted rifles. The 30'06 does perhaps have the advantage when shooting bullets greater than 200 grains.

Long story short, 30'06 is a good choice and so is 308 Win.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Main purpose would be hunting to 500-600 yards, for any foreseeable future hunt. I have 2 high power rifles at home for my wife and I, this will be replacing one, so it has to do it all.

Reason for the long action is that I already have a manners stock cut for a rem 700 long action.

I’m definitely not chasing a certain weight, In fact I’m thinking 10-12 pounds all up is where I want this gun to be. So long action isn’t really a bother

Wapiti1

WKR
For what you want, a 30-06 is a solid choice. No it isn't a sexy cartridge, but it just works.

Consider a longer throat. The action you choose will likely handle 3.6" cartridges, so you can load longer bullets out in the ol' 06 to gain a few grains of powder space.

Jeremy

spin

FNG
I’m in the process of doing just that. 30-06 gets you to 600 with the right bullets no problem.

I read several books outlining the cartridge Selection process. I tried to put my ego in check and be realistic about future hunts. In the end, while I shoot 1200-2000 rounds a year, shoot a little high power, and try and practice mostly field positions, I’m not going to shoot at game farther than 500 yards in ideal conditions. On a good day, it’s not a big deal. On a bad day, it’s a stretch. 30-06 gets it done with great brass, lots of bullet options for various game, and reasonable recoil without a break.

300 win mag is a great round. However, when I shoot with my buddies who shoot magnums, they tend to tap at 20+ rounds at the range. With a 30-06, I can shoot 50-70 without issue. It allows me to focus on fundamentals and trying to groove my focus area during a session.

Bottom line, there are lots of solutions to your problem. A 30-06 will be a good solution.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
For those that have them, brake or no brake, in a 10lb gun?

Barrel is a bart 3. And I have a 1/2x28 brake sitting at home I could put on it, just not sure I want to deal with the blast if not needed. I plan on keeping the barrel long, 24” plus

Should be a fun round to play with as well, lots of options

spin

FNG
I’ve got one at 8.3lbs and another at 10.5 lbs. I had a Tikka all up at 8lbs. All were unbraked. No issues.

my build is on a Model 70 action, Brux #4 at 26”, McMillan A3 sporter. It should come in about 9 lbs with scope/rings/rail.

i went the light weight route a decade ago and am finding my way toward mid weight hunting rifles. My practice rifle is a .308 at 15 lbs and a pussycat to shoot all day.

For those that have them, brake or no brake, in a 10lb gun?

Barrel is a bart 3. And I have a 1/2x28 brake sitting at home I could put on it, just not sure I want to deal with the blast if not needed. I plan on keeping the barrel long, 24” plus

Should be a fun round to play with as well, lots of options

At minimum have it threaded for a break and you can have a thread protector for it to match the barrel if you want the break off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a Winchester m70 EWSS that I upgraded with a Timney trigger and a McMillan featherweight/edge fill stock, its got talley lightweight rings and a Swarovski z3. Its an awesome rifle.

260madman

WKR
Don’t have it threaded for the brake you have. That’s a small diameter to put on a .30cal. Have your 223 wear it instead.

shmtastic

FNG
I just went with a Christensen Classic 30-06 for a hunting rifle. I like the flexibility the old round gives, I highly doubt I will burn the barrel out, it's lightweight, just a pleasure.

I wouldn't worry about a brake, my rifle is about 8.3lbs and it's easy to shoot. Mine is threaded but I've never once put on the brake that comes with the rifle.

I'm taking it on an elk hunt this year, and everyone is shooting 300 Win Mags. I hand load, and my 30-06 is almost as hard hitting as their 300s. CA makes a tight chamber, and even starting loads shoot fast.

I am extremely happy with my purchase. You will be also.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Don’t have it threaded for the brake you have. That’s a small diameter to put on a .30cal. Have your 223 wear it instead.

Looks like 9/16x24 would be the max for thread pattern on the barrel if chosen, if it’s cut to 24”. Iv heard a lot about 1/2x28 being bad for a 30 cal but haven’t seen anything hard on it. I do have a suppressor coming, but it’s a 5/8x24 threaded can.

JG358

WKR
Just thread the barrel 5/8x24. Plenty of brakes out there if you feel the need to put one on but once your can shows up ...

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Just thread the barrel 5/8x24. Plenty of brakes out there if you feel the need to put one on but once your can shows up ...

I’d have to cut down to 18” to thread that pattern. Not willing to go carbon on this build and don’t want a boat anchor #5 contour to get me to the .725 muzzle to thread for 5/8x24.

Doing a bunch of reading now it looks like 1/2x28 is not recommended for 30 cal by a lot of companies. Leaves less than .100 of metal between the bore groove and thread. 9/16 would get me over that recommended .100.

JG358

WKR
1/2x28 isn't an option (at least not a smart one) doesn't leave enough meat on a 30 cal. Shit gets real interesting when muzzle devices start flying down range.

If your set on the length, you can always get a thread adapter to go from 9/16x24 to 5/8x24. Stacking tolerances but with a quality adapter it might do. I'd be more inclined to go shorty myself.

I know you already ordered your barrel but a Fluted #5 is about the same as a #3 non fluted (depending on manufacturer/flute depth). Anymore, I tend to build all my stuff to run suppressed just because I have cans and why not? Once that can shows up, if your like most... you'll want to run it on everything.

Last edited:
OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Got it. Yea I have a 3 contour coming, and have a stock cut for a 3, and kind of want a 3 to not be too heavy. The Bartlein 3 is already fairly beefy.

I think if I thread it will have to be 9/16. I want to keep the gun long for velocity, if all goes well I’ll hopefully be pushing the limits of the cartridge.

With a 10-12 pound all up 3006, In an eh1 with a nice squishy 1in pad, I wonder if a brake will even be necessary. I’d like to spot my shots, but I’d also not like to have to deal with the muzzle blast if not needed.

I will have a 6.5 to shoot suppressed direct thread, if I like suppressors that much I can always pull the barrel, open the stock and throw on a carbon tube.

I’d go carbon immediately but I’d like to keep cost down, and get it done in a timely manner, being this will be one of 2 rifles I own, and one of them is for the wife.

If I had the can in hand or a few suppressors I’d be inclined to go short, but for now until I get the suppressor, I’m going to proceed with what I know

Last edited:
OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I’ve got one at 8.3lbs and another at 10.5 lbs. I had a Tikka all up at 8lbs. All were unbraked. No issues.

my build is on a Model 70 action, Brux #4 at 26”, McMillan A3 sporter. It should come in about 9 lbs with scope/rings/rail.

i went the light weight route a decade ago and am finding my way toward mid weight hunting rifles. My practice rifle is a .308 at 15 lbs and a pussycat to shoot all day.

Your build sounds somewhat similar to my plan. Plan on running a brake at all? I’m guessing with a bipod, and loaded I’ll be around 11 pounds. 2lb action, 3.5lb barrel, 2.5lbs stock and bottom metal, 1lb bipod, optic around 2 lbs.

I just want something easier to shoot, I’m young and don’t mind the weight carrying to have a forgiving rifle in the field.

For what you want, a 30-06 is a solid choice. No it isn't a sexy cartridge, but it just works.

Consider a longer throat. The action you choose will likely handle 3.6" cartridges, so you can load longer bullets out in the ol' 06 to gain a few grains of powder space.

Jeremy
I agree 100% and in real terms the 30-06 is not too far below the 300 Winchester in terms of long range work. I'm a huge 30-06 fan and I've used nothing but 165 gr. Nosler Accubonds or Partitions in mine. They both shoot extremely well and in the 26" barrel on my Ruger 1B they chronograph at 2940 fps. Sure with some of the newer powders I could even have them going faster, but they really work!

My load is as follows.
IMR4350 - 57.4 grs
Winchester brass
Federal 210 M primers
Nosler 165 gr. Accubond or Partition

dakotaduner

Lil-Rokslider
Been following this information too. Thanks you to all the contributors great info for someone like me also