Custom Rifle Journey/Review *Pic Heavy*

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Awesome post Steve. You have more experience in this field than most, and I greatly appreciate your openness and honestly. If we all could put our pride aside and speak honestly we’d probably all waste less money and own different guns than we do lol. Good reminder for me and everyone to not get married to a scope, rifle, or any piece of gear just because you spent a lot of money on it
Thank you man! Yeah I definitely just want to be 100% transparent about gear. And you’re totally right. I used to find myself trying to justify keeping something just because I spent a lot of money on it. It can almost feel embarrassing sometimes to just admit something wasn't worth the money and to move on. But I’m way past that now haha.

I wonder if its possible to buy, register and store a suppressor at a friend's/relatives in a legal state..? ie I live in CA too and my uncle lives in Reno. It would be really easy to pop in and pick it up on my way to an out of state hunt..
That would sure be ideal.

@huntnful

You sign me up for the tags and mount up a TB CB brake and ill sign you onto my trust.

I have a fleet of suppressors. 😆

@WeiserBucks will pack all the meat 😆
Hahahaha DEAL!

Retterath

WKR
I’m with you on the carbon barrels 100%. I have had them and to me they look cool but that’s about it. I haven’t had carbon barrels for my last 4 builds. My #4 fluted benchmark on my 300 rum hammers with 225’s and with a ti pro 5 brake it’s an incredible shooting rifle. Great post Steve

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
I’m with you on the carbon barrels 100%. I have had them and to me they look cool but that’s about it. I haven’t had carbon barrels for my last 4 builds. My #4 fluted benchmark on my 300 rum hammers with 225’s and with a ti pro 5 brake it’s an incredible shooting rifle. Great post Steve
Thank you! It really was eye opening when my steel #5 deep fluted Benchmark shot better or as good as any barrel I've owned. And it's the same weight as a Carbon Sendero Light.

I’ve been offered to have someone film a few, but honestly I just don’t want any of that part of the industry. Then pretty soon I’d be acquiring some dog shit sponsors and pedaling crap products to unsuspecting people 😅😅😅.
Just keep them kill shot videos coming and that’s all we really need!
Thank you! It really was eye opening when my steel #5 deep fluted Benchmark shot better or as good as any barrel I've owned. And it's the same weight as a Carbon Sendero Light.
Have you tried benchmark’s carbon barrels? I know Ryan Pierce exclusively runs them now in his builds because of no POI shift from heat…and because they’re a benchmark 😂 honestly if what you have works then why change. But as a man of curiosity if you get the itch for a carbon again give them a try. They an hour away from my house so I get to swing by there whenever I want. Every single barrel of theirs, steel or carbon, just hammers.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Just keep them kill shot videos coming and that’s all we really need!

Have you tried benchmark’s carbon barrels? I know Ryan Pierce exclusively runs them now in his builds because of no POI shift from heat…and because they’re a benchmark 😂 honestly if what you have works then why change. But as a man of curiosity if you get the itch for a carbon again give them a try. They an hour away from my house so I get to swing by there whenever I want. Every single barrel of theirs, steel or carbon, just hammers.
If I was going to shoot a carbon barrel, it would absolutely be a benchmark. My good buddy was dead set on carbon, so I still told him to go with a benchmark Sendero Contour. A little more meat left on there with that contour.

If I had to shoot a benchmark carbon barrel for the rest of my life, I wouldn’t be disappointed. I just think steel is better, and cheaper.

I didn’t video a single kill shot last year, because everything was up close and personal on all my animals. Just how it worked out. Maybe this year!

huntsd

WKR
Great post!!! Thank you for the write up! I’ve been trying to justify a carbon build! Guess not anymore!!!

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Wow - now that’s a journey. The changes in builds were much more subtle than I expected, and the “why” is very useful to consider, thanks for taking the time to compile all that!

Lots of TT specials but switching now - any reason why?

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Wow - now that’s a journey. The changes in builds were much more subtle than I expected, and the “why” is very useful to consider, thanks for taking the time to compile all that!

Lots of TT specials but switching now - any reason why?
For sure! It’s like with every rifle, you consider something small you’d like differently with the next one basically.

I’m only trying a Bix n Andy to get more info on custom components. My gun smith shoots them and they do feel nice. They don’t have a back wall. So when the trigger breaks, you can continue pulling through and not potentially manipulate the gun with the trigger stiff against a back wall. If that makes any sense at all haha.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Just had another thing pop into mind.

Form your own brass, in your own barrel.

Don’t try to use old brass fired in chambers from other guns. It can cause a lot of headaches that will take a while to figure out. Just a .001 difference in case growth can cause you to have bolt lift issues, extraction issues and give false indications of pressures.

I’ve learned this the hard way, several times unfortunately lol. But a custom rifle, deserves a fresh batch of premium brass for that specific chamber, if you’re reloading. Lapua is great, ADG & Peterson are good.

DaleW

WKR
@huntnful How has the hawkins hunter dbm been feeding in your 300 NMI? I'm putting together a Norma build with the BAT vesper and was wanting to use those mags, but hawkins says you need a .750" bolt to use them reliably and the Vesper has a .720". In my mind it shouldn't make a ton of difference but I don't want to sacrifice reliability.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
@huntnful How has the hawkins hunter dbm been feeding in your 300 NMI? I'm putting together a Norma build with the BAT vesper and was wanting to use those mags, but hawkins says you need a .750" bolt to use them reliably and the Vesper has a .720". In my mind it shouldn't make a ton of difference but I don't want to sacrifice reliability.
Great question! I actually had to
Modify the mags quite a bit to get them to feed. I don’t think it had anything to do with the bolt though. Basically the lips on the mag would hold onto the case for two long, and bind it up a little ways after it would hit the feed ramp.

So I shaved the lips way further back, where they would still hold the case plenty good, but release it much sooner once it was cycled and hit the feed ramp.

IMG_1694.jpeg
IMG_1695.jpeg
Took maybe like 5-10 minutes with a metal file and sanding disc to modify them to function properly. Definitely not ideal.

I would personally look into the Unknown Munitions bottom metal and mag setup.

DaleW

WKR
Great question! I actually had to
Modify the mags quite a bit to get them to feed. I don’t think it had anything to do with the bolt though. Basically the lips on the mag would hold onto the case for two long, and bind it up a little ways after it would hit the feed ramp.

So I shaved the lips way further back, where they would still hold the case plenty good, but release it much sooner once it was cycled and hit the feed ramp.

View attachment 673935
View attachment 673936
Took maybe like 5-10 minutes with a metal file and sanding disc to modify them to function properly. Definitely not ideal.

I would personally look into the Unknown Munitions bottom metal and mag setup.
Thanks for the reply and pics!

That's definitely not ideal. I think I'll look at the UM dbm. I've heard those mags work really well for lapua/norma cases.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Thanks for the reply and pics!

That's definitely not ideal. I think I'll look at the UM dbm. I've heard those mags work really well for lapua/norma cases.
Definitely. And they’re longer internally. That’s what I would do. I just haven’t switched, because I already modified these mags to work hahaha

barehandlineman

FNG
Classified Approved
That brown one is sweet 👀😉
Animals killed with the heavy Norma
View attachment 663349

Also in 2023 I has Travis Stevens at TS Customs build me a 6 PRC. A heavy little bastard to. Because I was still after sheer accuracy at that point. Build was about 4 months after deposit.

6 PRC Specs:

Lone Peak Fuzion action. NOT TITANIUM
Adjustable KS1 stock
TT special
24" Bartlein Rem Varmint 1-7.5 twist
Hawkins M5 Oberndof

This gun shot lights out. And I loved the little fast 6mm bullets with no recoil. I used it to kill some coyotes and a decent buck. I liked this rifle a lot, but at this point I knew I didn't need 12lb rifles accomplish my more realistic hunting goals....

View attachment 663358
View attachment 663359

So after using HEAVY rifles for all of 2023 and really being honest with myself on if the extra slight edge in accuracy potential made a world of difference when it came to killing... it did not. Not actually at all honestly.

So for 2024, I'm picking a good middle ground, that I think is an excellent combination of accuracy potential, and killing ability.

I also found a badass local gunsmith within driving distance. He's remaining unnamed at the moment until he has the ability to scale and stay efficient with lead times.

But he did another 300 Norma Mag Improved Rebarrel for me. I went with a lighter contour benchmark steel barrel. #5 contour. As well as a 11oz lighter optic. Bringing the gun weight down below 10lbs. And for a big magnum, I think around 9-10lbs scoped is spot on for packability and recoil management. And it honestly shoots exactly the same, if not even better than when the platform was 12lbs.

View attachment 663365
View attachment 663366

I also sold the 6 PRC so that I can piece together a lighter weight build, but still in the 6 PRC cartridge.

RECAP:

I got away from TI actions for several reasons.

1. They don't save you any weight over some steel actions on the market now
2. They can be very rough to cycle in some environments
3. They seem to "pressure out" early when doing load development. Slower speeds, but still getting bolt click ect.
So there are zero benefits over a steel action.

I got away from carbon barrel for a few reasons.

1. They can be more finicky with accuracy than steel barrels
2. They don't really provide any weight savings over steel barrels, like a 3B, #5 & #6 contour barrel.
3. More expensive
So there really are zero benefits over a steel barrel, other than potentially cosmetic appeal.

I got away from ultra heavy "tack drivers" for a few reasons.

1. They can suck to carry
2. I didn't notice enough increase is accuracy (if any) to make a difference for hunting scenarios
3. I can still spot my impacts with a 10lb platform of the same cartridge

Going to continue with some recommendations and more pictures in one more post.....

CBar

FNG
@huntnfool, really enjoyed that write up as I too am contemplating my first custom build, and I have a question for you: Are carbon stocks worth the cost?

Price is a concern for me, I'm focused on building a 280ai on either a Tikka T3x Lite or Savage 110 Lightweight Storm platform, 7mm-08 action and steel blank rebarrel cut to 18" (because according to my smith, the stock 1-9.5 twist won't stabilize 160/162gr factory ammo). For my express purpose of backpack hunting with a suppressor, I just wondered what you think about the value added with a carbon stock?

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
@huntnfool, really enjoyed that write up as I too am contemplating my first custom build, and I have a question for you: Are carbon stocks worth the cost?

Price is a concern for me, I'm focused on building a 280ai on either a Tikka T3x Lite or Savage 110 Lightweight Storm platform, 7mm-08 action and steel blank rebarrel cut to 18" (because according to my smith, the stock 1-9.5 twist won't stabilize 160/162gr factory ammo). For my express purpose of backpack hunting with a suppressor, I just wondered what you think about the value added with a carbon stock?
I honestly have no experience at all with anything other than CF stocks. Maybe someone can chime in that has used both?