Custom Tikka Questions

Well the off season has be pondering a few things... namely do I need a semi-custom Tikka? And I cannot find a reason why I don't.

When buying a donor rifle I was primarily thinking of a stainless T3, but with availability in Canada seemingly limited on the used side, I was wondering if a blued T3 would suffice. Can you just cerkote the action for long term durability on the West Coast thus removing the need for a stainless? This would also drop the donor price substantially but I guess add the cost to Cerekote at build time. Any guiding thoughts here are appreciated.

Cartridge is my next question. I know I want 7mm caliber. I also would like a short (18 or 20") barrel.... but I do not reload, nor have the room to do. 7SAUM is gaining traction but with seemingly only 1 ammo manufacturer producing factory 7SAUM ammo that choice likely out. 280ai seems like the next bet, I'm just curious if it will perform well in a short barrel?...then 7 Rem Mag has same concern with the ahort barrel. Any guidance here would also be appreciated.

Seeknelk

WKR
They all work fine in short barrels. If it's a faster cartridge in a long barrel ,it'll still win in a short barrel. Now , there are certainly trade-offs to everything including short barrel magnums, but they can be the perfect solution also.

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Unless you plan on shooting really long range I don't see why a 7mm-08 won't fit your needs. I haven't looked lately but probably can still find factory ammo here in Canada much easier. As for stainless, all my tikkas are blued and I haven't had any issues and I'm not too far from the coast

Well the off season has be pondering a few things... namely do I need a semi-custom Tikka? And I cannot find a reason why I don't.

When buying a donor rifle I was primarily thinking of a stainless T3, but with availability in Canada seemingly limited on the used side, I was wondering if a blued T3 would suffice. Can you just cerkote the action for long term durability on the West Coast thus removing the need for a stainless? This would also drop the donor price substantially but I guess add the cost to Cerekote at build time. Any guiding thoughts here are appreciated.

Cartridge is my next question. I know I want 7mm caliber. I also would like a short (18 or 20") barrel.... but I do not reload, nor have the room to do. 7SAUM is gaining traction but with seemingly only 1 ammo manufacturer producing factory 7SAUM ammo that choice likely out. 280ai seems like the next bet, I'm just curious if it will perform well in a short barrel?...then 7 Rem Mag has same concern with the ahort barrel. Any guidance here would also be appreciated.
Since you don't handload a 20" 7 RM or 280 ai is what I'd recommend. If you're into custom loads with LR bullets they'd give you issues with magazine length but that won't apply to you.
Also I like SS over cerakote especially in the wet regions here in the NW

Unless you plan on shooting really long range I don't see why a 7mm-08 won't fit your needs. I haven't looked lately but probably can still find factory ammo here in Canada much easier. As for stainless, all my tikkas are blued and I haven't had any issues and I'm not too far from the coast

IVe got a blued T3 I had cerakoted. Ive hunted Texas , BC and NFLD the last couple years and have had no issues with rust. Im also from Ontario so ive put mine through some weather situations. I keep my muzzle wrapped with electrical tape so I dont get debris down the tube. Also helps keep moisture out of the barrel.