Cutting Edge Lazers for a 300 win mag

TuckTruck

Lil-Rokslider
It looks like I’ve got permission to hunt a property this year that requires mono metal non lead bullets. I have zero experience in this area but I’ve been doing a lot of research. I think I’ve got it narrowed down to Cutting Edge Lazers. From what I’ve read, they are super accurate, they fracture instead of just expanding, but what really caught my eye is that they’ll expand down to 1200fps. I think I’ve got it narrowed down to the 180gr and the 200gr. There’s two options for the 180, one advertised as a single feed and one that seats deeper in the case. I’m more interested in the single feed but if it doesn’t work, it doesn’t work.
My current load is a 215 Berger with a coal of 3.59” getting shot out of a Christensen arms traverse.
So I guess what I’m looking for is if anybody has successfully loaded a 180 or 200 gr single feed and been able to feed it through a rem 700 magazine. I’ve tried to measure mine and I think it’s about 3.7”. I’ve single fed for long range hunting in the past but the way this property is, there could be shots from 0 to 800 yards, so there may be a need for quick follow up shots.

Also looking for terminal performance experiences and pictures!

Can't comment on the CE bullets, but take a look at Hammer Bullets and Badlands Bulldozer's as part of your research.

OP
TuckTruck

TuckTruck

Lil-Rokslider
Can't comment on the CE bullets, but take a look at Hammer Bullets and Badlands Bulldozer's as part of your research.
I looked at these options also, but they both require pretty high velocities to expand…

Ucsdryder

WKR
I just picked up some single feed 7mm. Here they are next to my 180 eldm. I haven’t shot them yet.

Attachments

• 8E06ACF1-7E4B-428A-84B4-BD59426092B6.jpeg
    8E06ACF1-7E4B-428A-84B4-BD59426092B6.jpeg
    262.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 2ABD5A77-8418-41EF-AE53-31CD3B7C7D6B.jpeg
    2ABD5A77-8418-41EF-AE53-31CD3B7C7D6B.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 37

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
How far do you plan to shoot and at what?

One of the drawbacks of the 300 win is retained velocity. It’s very capable, but there is a world of difference between ringing steel and having a bullet deliver terminal performance at longer ranges.

I think we are seeing a shift to rounds like 300 Norma and similar for this reason.

Ucsdryder

WKR
They both expand at longer ranges than 99.9% of hunters will ever take a shot on game. If you think you need a hunting bullet for a mile, any mono is a terrible choice.
Someone brings up a mono and then the “you should have bought hammers” sounds just like LRH. Leg humping hammers is only allowed on LRH! Jk jk! But seriously, this is just like LRH.

Someone brings up a mono and then the “you should have bought hammers” sounds just like LRH. Leg humping hammers is only allowed on LRH! Jk jk! But seriously, this is just like LRH.
No leg humping here friend, Barnes don't get it done at long range. That leaves CE, Hammer and Badlands if you want a solid.

If I'm humping a leg it'll be Berger, long and slow or fast and hard depending on the mood.

gabenzeke

WKR
I just picked up some single feed 7mm. Here they are next to my 180 eldm. I haven’t shot them yet.
What cartridge is this and which single feed bullet if you don't mind sharing? I've looked awful hard at the single feed rounds for a 7 saum, but I'd really like to go heavy as possible

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
TuckTruck

TuckTruck

Lil-Rokslider
They both expand at longer ranges than 99.9% of hunters will ever take a shot on game. If you think you need a hunting bullet for a mile, any mono is a terrible choice.
I agree with you 100%, but I’m trying to go as heavy as possible which means lower velocity. I’m just trying to gain every advantage I can.

Ucsdryder

WKR
What cartridge is this and which single feed bullet if you don't mind sharing? I've looked awful hard at the single feed rounds for a 7 saum, but I'd really like to go heavy as possible

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
7 Saum. 145 ceb single feed

Generally speaking I believe folks lean toward lighter and faster with mono’s rather than slower and heavier.

I run 143 and 155 hammers in my 7mm rem mag. They seem to kill fine out around 500, haven’t tried further. They blow the front off and drive through. My only complaint is the small entry and exit.

Have friends that run the CE bullets and they seem to kill fine as well.

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
What about the new Hornady 190 Grain CX bullet with the heat shield tip? How does that compare to CE, Hammer and Badlands for long range hunting with a mono?

OP
TuckTruck

TuckTruck

Lil-Rokslider
What about the new Hornady 190 Grain CX bullet with the heat shield tip? How does that compare to CE, Hammer and Badlands for long range hunting with a mono?
As far as I know, it’s very similar to a Barnes LRX

OP
TuckTruck

TuckTruck

Lil-Rokslider
Generally speaking I believe folks lean toward lighter and faster with mono’s rather than slower and heavier.

I run 143 and 155 hammers in my 7mm rem mag. They seem to kill fine out around 500, haven’t tried further. They blow the front off and drive through. My only complaint is the small entry and exit.

Have friends that run the CE bullets and they seem to kill fine as well.
That’s the main reason I’m looking at ceb, so I can run a heavier mono a little slower and still get expansion at lower velocities. They claim 1200 fps, where hammer and badlands are up around 1800-1900

huntnful

WKR
I say load some up and let us know how they do! I shoot the hamers also because of their easy load development honestly. They also maintain killing velocities out past 800 yards in most cases. But I've always been curious of those cutting edge lazers!! Same terminal performance design, but with a better BC. Couldn't hurt to try them.

huntnful

WKR
That’s the main reason I’m looking at ceb, so I can run a heavier mono a little slower and still get expansion at lower velocities. They claim 1200 fps, where hammer and badlands are up around 1800-1900
I also don't think you'll be shooting "slow". A 180 out of a 300 win mag should be well over 3100 fps. That's pretty fast dude. I think any bullet will be fine out of a 300 Win mag out to 800 yards.

OP
TuckTruck

TuckTruck

Lil-Rokslider
I also don't think you'll be shooting "slow". A 180 out of a 300 win mag should be well over 3100 fps. That's pretty fast dude. I think any bullet will be fine out of a 300 Win mag out to 800 yards.
I was leaning more towards the 200 gr for being “slow” but I just don’t thing it’ll fit. But I have no doubt I can get the 180s cooking.

You seem to be carrying over cup and core bullet mindset to mono bullets.

Find a bullet length that will load and your barrel can stabilize. Don’t worry the weight of the bullet.