Cutting Edge Lazers for a 300 win mag

Care to share barrel length and velocity?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I’ve PMd him a bit about these, don’t think he’s shot em yet unless he did this weekend.

I did a tiny bit of load dev in these with a previous picky barrel and got a lot of interested PMs about results but I abandoned that barrel and didn’t shoot any more lazers for a while.

Based on the previous barrel, I loaded up a handful of 145 lazer, 59.2 h4350, 210m, adg brass and the new barrel stacks em on top of each other. 22” and a can was getting 3025 FPS avg. No further experimenting necessary, I’m just sticking with that.

For the OPs question, I’m not real excited with the design effort on the heavier 30 cal lazers. Seems like they just add length to what I would call the bearing surface on a normal bullet rather than getting a sleeker nose/boat tail than the 180. I think pushing the 180 “single feed” fast would be a good place to start. Lazers stomp hammer in BC. You would need a 9 twist or faster for the 200. I wouldn’t be too eager to see how they expand at 1200-1700 FPS on game but that’s not based on real life experience.

Last edited:

huntnful

WKR
I’ve PMd him a bit about these, don’t think he’s shot em yet unless he did this weekend.

I did a tiny bit of load dev in these with a previous picky barrel and got a lot of interested PMs about results but I abandoned that barrel and didn’t shoot any more lazers for a while.

Based on the previous barrel, I loaded up a handful of 145 lazer, 59.2 h4350, 210m, adg brass and the new barrel stacks em on top of each other. 22” and a can was getting 3025 FPS avg. No further experimenting necessary, I’m just sticking with that.

For the OPs question, I’m not real excited with the design effort on the heavier 30 cal lazers. Seems like they just add length to what I would call the bearing surface on a normal bullet rather than getting a sleeker nose/boat tail than the 180. I think pushing the 180 “single feed” fast would be a good place to start. Lazers stomp hammer in BC. You would need a 9 twist or faster for the 200. I wouldn’t be too eager to see how they expand at 1200-1700 FPS on game but that’s not based on real life experience.
Legit info. Hammer mostly also just makes the bearing surface longer the heavier the bullets get. The nose of the bullets seem to stay the same exact size and shape, and just the shank is lengthened. So that's why I go lighter and faster. The shanks generally exit, so a heavy slower bullet essentially gains you nothing.

What about the new Hornady 190 Grain CX bullet with the heat shield tip? How does that compare to CE, Hammer and Badlands for long range hunting with a mono?

Marketed BC is in line with 30 cal lazer options, better than barnes, and quite a bit better than hammer. Terminal design seems to be the mushroom type like barnes vs fracturing like CEB/Hammer.

On the face it seems like a good option for the OP to evaluate. Probably quite a bit cheaper than CEB which are pricey and largely out of stock at the moment.