D Loop Longevity

Traveler

WKR
Anyone ever have a d loop break out the middle from too much use? Not the d loop becoming unattached but just breaking where it is compressed by release.

I never have but noticed mine is being compressed a bit. Has been on for four years.

Yes, they will break. As long as your release is smooth you likely won't wear them out any faster than a string, but if you see any wear it's wise to replace.

LostArra

WKR
Mine recently showed some slight fraying so I replaced it. It's too simple of a fix to risk a problem on a hunt, especially a hunt 900 miles from home.

I could be wrong but I think caliper/jaw type releases have the potential for more wear although it would still take a lot of shots to cause damage. I've since moved to a hook and and like it better.

87TT

WKR
Four years? You need to shoot more!
But yeah they can break. First sign of wear, I’m changing.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
D loops are easy to tie. If you get 1.8 mm polyester sheathed dyneema spear fishing line they are also cheap, compared the the ridiculous price of line sold for D loops. It also makes great UL guy lines.

Last edited:
OP
T

Traveler

WKR
Thanks all, no fraying yet.I’ve replaced d loops on my kids bows, probably time to try on mine.

Yes, I've had one break in the middle mid-draw. Punched myself in the mouth and sent the arrow into the garage wall. I'm diligent about proactively replacing my D-loop now.

Had an arrow go flying about 10-15ft from me during league one night and it ended up being from some guy whose d loop broke mid draw on the other side of the course. That woke me up....

Out of habit I usually replace mine twice a year - once at the end of hunting season (Dec) and once right before league starts (May). Also replace it if there is any sign of fray. From what I've seen, once there are any signs of wear, they can break at any time.

Rob5589

WKR
I replace every year, sooner if I see anything unusual. Too easy and cheap to not.

Interesting topic.

I have to replace mine every 2 months.

To say that I can tie one on quickly would be an understatement. Lol

Tahoe1305

WKR
Had to replace mine last week. Started to fray a bit (guessing 500-800shots) then premature release on two consecutive arrows (2/3 draw). Lucky I found em. New d loop fixed it.

4ester

WKR
D-loop life has a lot to do with the type of release aid and number of shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
Been using a loop since the days when we served them on and have never broken one. They’ll polish up under a good smooth hook and last for years.
BCY 23 and a good release.

I'd say replace after 700 shots. Tying a D-loop should be something everyone can do. If you buy 4ft. of loop material you should be good for awhile

I work in an archery shop and can say they do wear out and break in the middle, the melted ends at the knots also wear down and slip loose. You won't enjoy it if either let's go under tension if your in doubt just replace it your face will thank you.