Danner Boots

vthokee

WKR
Anyone still run Danner boots? I’m wearing the older Danner Combat Hikers. They are similar to the crater rims that they have in their lineup.

I have several pairs going back to my old acadias that now nearly 20 years old. Most of mine are old school welted military models and a couple pair of newer military boots like the tachyon and some others I use as burners for trainer and work boots. Don’t really know there more recent hunting boots like the pronghorn but I have heard fairly positive things as well as some issues on durability. I run a set of combat hikers every now and then. They aren’t bad boots but I just think there are better options. However, you pay a price for top of the line. Those combat hikers can be had for under a $100. My crispi Idaho’s are a better boot but the cost more than 3x as much and there are not 3x better.

I have a pair of Acadias that I wear for formal duty (VIP, etc). I have three pairs of the old style Pronghorns, which I love, and a pair of Elkridge. Since they changed the toe box on the Pronghorns, making them too wide for my feet, I moved on to a more sturdy boot that fits better. I now wear Crispi Hunter GTX for Elk chasing. The aforementioned Danners are just occupying space in my closet. I just can't bring myself to get rid of them.

Been running a pair of proghorns last few years been holding up pretty well put some hard miles on them but there starting to show there age now. Might get one more year out of them then I'll purchase kenetreks or crispsi boot. Sadly I don't think danner carries as much weight with it's name like it used to, have many friends who bought danners after the company made some changes and the qaulity hasn't been the same.

Last edited:

seawolfxix

Lil-Rokslider
I bought my first pair last year, and they are one of my favorite shoes. Seem to be built very well, and people compliment them regularly.

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have two pairs of pronghorns, Uninsulated and 1000 gram. They were great until I tried higher quality boots. I also have a pair of 452’s for work. They just started leaking after two years which is pretty good working in concrete. Nice thing is they are easily found on sale and are fairly well built in my experience.

quent

Lil-Rokslider
I use the combat hikers and love them. I just got a pair of the improved combat hikers and they seem stiffer. I also rock the desert Acadia gore tex and non-gore tex. Really bummed they discounted the desert Acadia. :-( I have a pair of lowa rangers and the zamberlan outfitters and will pick my danners over the European boots most times. For some reason the euro crap just fits weird. Not enough to justify not using them or causing any issues but just danner over them. I'm excited to see the thoroughfare boot this year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
I have my eye on the crag rat USA right now but I haven't found enough feedback or reviews on them to make the purchase.

quent

Lil-Rokslider
I have my eye on the crag rat USA right now but I haven't found enough feedback or reviews on them to make the purchase.
I've read so decent reviews. One said he bought them as a back up pair for elk hunting and liked them enough to make them his go to boot. Other then that I haven't read a lot regarding how they stand up to hunting.

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
I've read so decent reviews. One said he bought them as a back up pair for elk hunting and liked them enough to make them his go to boot. Other then that I haven't read a lot regarding how they stand up to hunting.

Yeah the longevity review is what seems hard to find. Its good to know that a boot is comfortable at 15mi but if it leaks at 100 or the rand is peeled and the sole is ripping off it won't be much of an investment.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

quent

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah the longevity review is what seems hard to find. Its good to know that a boot is comfortable at 15mi but if it leaks at 100 or the rand is peeled and the sole is ripping off it won't be much of an investment.

Agreed. I think it's non resoleable too. Don't quote me on that. I'd have to check. I like to have my boots resoleable which most of their American made boots are. That's the one draw back of the crater rim/combat hiker and my military rivots I have. Kind of a bummer.

UpNorth89

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using a pair of Danner Pronghorns. They seem like a good boot for the money but I would definitely like to upgrade when they wear out.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

quent

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using a pair of Danner Pronghorns. They seem like a good boot for the money but I would definitely like to upgrade when they wear out.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
My first pair of hunting boots were pronghorns and they worked fine but ended up leaking. I was turned off of Chinese made boots after that and haven't bought a pair of none American/European boots since. I really like the fit and comfortableness of the pronghorn so when I saw the rivot that looked very similar to the pronghorn I jumped on it. The rivot is by far the most comfortable boot I've ever worn military/hunting/hiking wise. Only down side is that I bought the hot weather boot so they do get wet easily.

KClark

WKR
I've had 10-12 pairs of Danners, of those what's left in the closet are Combat Hikers and Pronghorns and I still wear them occaisionally for chores. I liked them until I started buying Lowas and for me they're not even in the same league but everyone's feet are different. I may branch out sideways to Zamberlans or Miendls but I doubt I'd ever buy another pair of Danners even if they cost half of what I've been spending on others.

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a pair of the crag rat USA boots. They fit my feet better then crispi's and feel better then my lowas.

Can't comment on much until I get some hikes and hunts in them.

quent

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a pair of the crag rat USA boots. They fit my feet better then crispi's and feel better then my lowas.

Can't comment on much until I get some hikes and hunts in them.

I would love to read a review on them after you get some wear on them. Danner boots fit me better then any other boot. Really looking forward to their mountain boot they have coming out this fall.

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
I would love to read a review on them after you get some wear on them. Danner boots fit me better then any other boot. Really looking forward to their mountain boot they have coming out this fall.

Yeah I plan to do a write up because lack of good reviews is what kept me from ordering them for a while. The crispis were great they just didn't work for my foot shape.