Daughter going to college - Need to buy her a laptop…please help!

Maki35

WKR
If she were doing a computer heavy major, she would know what she needs and know the specifics of what she needed.

Get her a decent priced laptop and it will do what she needs.
I was referring to whether his daughter prefers a Mac or PC (dell, HP, Asus, etc.) laptop. Maybe she used one in High school and has a preference. Or she has an iphone. Or used a friend's laptop & likes the brand. Has nothing to do with being computer heavy major, knowing the specs.

"All the students" in my daughter's H.S. are issued Mac books for schoolwork. had nothing to do with their major/type of classes. My daughter prefers a Mac book for college because she familiar with it & likes the format.

Last edited:

S.Clancy

WKR
I honestly wouldn't buy a laptop these days. There is so much space in computer labs there is no need for one. She will probably be more efficient if she doesn't have her own computer, just get her stuff done on campus.

I honestly wouldn't buy a laptop these days. There is so much space in computer labs there is no need for one. She will probably be more efficient if she doesn't have her own computer, just get her stuff done on campus.

Not really. I had to rely on computer labs way back when and a laptop, or even a desktop would've made life much more efficient, especially working as much as possible to keep debt down.

dwils233

FNG
If windows - buy a microsoft surface of some type. The other laptops tend to have to much crapware preinstalled. I have had a couple surface pros, and like them, but they really need an external monitor, keyboard and mouse if you are going to do much work.

Macbook air might be worth looking at - the m2 chips have crazy power to efficiency ratios.

Edit - I currently run a Mac for personal stuff and a surface pro for work. Both have good/bad, but I do like MacOS a bit better.
I runa high end surface and love it. Runs clean and works for academic/professional software.

I also recommend buying straight from MS and adding a repair/service plan. You can get a 4 year complete coverage (including accidents). Should get her through school with less stress

If shes ok with Macs and software is not only for Windows. A Macbook Air 15 inch is good with long battery life. Apple Silicon is the best for being away from the plug. You can check out Best Buy open box returns to lower the purchase price even more.

Also AMD Ryzen processors are more efficient and better performing per watt than their Intel counterparts. That would help extend battery life further if you are opting for the Windows route.

OP
PredatorSlayer
I used a HP Windows laptop in college and didn’t have any issues. However now I use a MacBook for work and it’s lasted much longer than my Windows. Regarding the MS Office suite I would just recommend using Google Docs/Sheets/Slides/etc unless you need the office products for some reason.

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
My son the STEM major wanted a PC because he didn't want to have a VM for his computer science classes. If your daughter is not a STEM major either will work. If she has an iPhone I think a Mac is a no brainer. I am typing on a 2015 MacBook right now. If it breaks today I will order another tonight. The machine just flat works and most schools have a Microsoft 365 subscription so she can use all the products in the Cloud while a student.

S.Clancy

WKR
Not really. I had to rely on computer labs way back when and a laptop, or even a desktop would've made life much more efficient, especially working as much as possible to keep debt down.
I didn't buy a laptop when I went back to school @ 30 for a CE degree (or books for that matter). The library has everything I needed for free.

I'm not techie, but I would say it depends somewhat on what she will be going to school for. I'm a heavy equipment mechanic and got through a 2 year community college program with a $200 chrome book or something I don't even know what it is. I still use it, but all I do is use it to occasionally use google docs or spread sheets and watch youtube. My wife is a graphic designer and she has an apple macbook of some kind, this is her second one and they seem to be the best for all the programs, processing, and storage she needs. They are pricey.

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
Macbook air, refurbished or student discount. It'll last for years. Wife has one I bought her in 2014 still going strong and I work full time on them and usually get 5-6 years (pro models).

summs

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a bit late, but tech is my career field, id shy away from a Mac. Any off the shelf laptop will do, all computers use the same parts with different names attached. A above average rig would be an i5 processor, 16gb of ram and 1tb of storage. Screen size or touch screen is all preference. I think touch screens are useless and cost 3x to replace if needed. Can be had all day for $600. Everyone in the psych classes will have a Mac, and a large starbucks cup too...

As for software, being a psych major, there will be nothing intensive. Being a student she will get office 365 for free. But Google drive and docs/slides/sheets has less features for free and saves work as it's being worked on. Life saver for everyone, the new standard.

DO NOT buy a surface, or mac if child is accident prone. Replacement is not easy and therefore not cheap.
Some of these devices are beautiful, but not user friendly. No replacement screens, no swapping batteries, upgrading hard drive. Or how a screen cost $500 when the device cost $900. How you buy it is how it comes.

As a side note: do you know what they want to pursue with a psychology degree? It's not a great major for jobs. Most psych jobs require a masters, even school counselors. So 5 years of school to make 40k with a masters...

I didn't buy a laptop when I went back to school @ 30 for a CE degree (or books for that matter). The library has everything I needed for free.

Would've hated to have to use public resources for a second undergrad and a grad degree later on.

Too convenient to work on stuff at home...

Crusader

WKR
Side note, relevant to this topic - I'd recommend that whatever you buy, get it added onto your homeowner's insurance policy. My younger daughter always seemed to have "stuff" happen to her so when she went to college we added her PC to our policy (very cheap, maybe $10/year or so?) Sure enough, when she was a sophomore her laptop was stolen from a common study area in her dorm (she said it occurred when she went to use the restroom; sounded kinda far-fetched but that's what she told us). Insurance (State Farm) reimbursed for the cost of a new one, even a bit upgraded from the stolen one, and if i recall correctly, we didn't even have a deductible.

Oh and for what it's worth, the stolen laptop was a relatively inexpensive HP model (maybe $600-ish, from Sam's Club) that worked fine for her B.S. in Chemistry program (Forensics concentration). The replacement PC was a little nicer HP (touchscreen and higher level components) from Best Buy and it lasted her the rest of undergrad and all the way through law school completion last year and through her first year now as an associate attorney. She has been very pleased with it.

tony

WKR
I’m no Apple fanboy even though I own apple electronics
MacBook Air is what I have and used to finish my bachelor’s a few years ago.
Look at Apple - refurbished- These are gone over repaired need be, repacked as new and gave a complete factory warranty. They look and operate as a brand new model and The savings is decent.
Plus all the cool kids use Apple in college.
GF bought her son a pretty slick 2 in 1 windows laptop for under a grand.
Check out Best Buy if you have one close. Prices are the same as going through Apple and you still get the Apple warranty

Software, most universities will give the student access to the microsoft suite while they are students. Ohio U did while I was a student. Big savings there!