Daughter going to college - Need to buy her a laptop…please help!

ODB

WKR
I’m an apple guy all the way and will get my kid a MacBook when she goes to school. The iCloud suite of programs does about anything a mortal will need with pages (word) and numbers (excel). Even photo editing in the photos app is Photoshop Elements-esque. We have three Macs currently. One is from 2006 and is simply the most reliable computer I’ve ever owned.

Using iCloud to sync docs over the web is brilliant as well.

eldeuce

Lil-Rokslider
I had a nightmare of an experience with dell support and will NEVER purchase ANYTHING from them again.
HP has been pretty good to me since. Make sure anything Apple is compatible with necessary software first.

wesfromky

WKR
If windows - buy a microsoft surface of some type. The other laptops tend to have to much crapware preinstalled. I have had a couple surface pros, and like them, but they really need an external monitor, keyboard and mouse if you are going to do much work.

Macbook air might be worth looking at - the m2 chips have crazy power to efficiency ratios.

Edit - I currently run a Mac for personal stuff and a surface pro for work. Both have good/bad, but I do like MacOS a bit better.

def90

WKR
Find out what software she will be running and buy accordingly.

The only advantage of a Mac was back in the day they had dual core processors which made them faster when working with graphic and video files and so on which led to a cult following in the design field. These days PCs also come with dual core processors so there is no real benefit to a Mac over a PC and vise versa other than if you are trying to run a specific piece of software

If a PC is fine then stick with Dell, I use Dell laptops in commercial low voltage systems automation work and have never had a problem with them.

For a Psych degree, a certain amount of electives and core classes will be math or science related that will use Microsoft/Windows applications for data management and computation. Plan accordingly.

OP
PredatorSlayer
For a Psych degree, a certain amount of electives and core classes will be math or science related that will use Microsoft/Windows applications for data management and computation. Plan accordingly.
This is great info - thanks!

jasonhul

Lil-Rokslider
If windows - buy a microsoft surface of some type. The other laptops tend to have to much crapware preinstalled. I have had a couple surface pros, and like them, but they really need an external monitor, keyboard and mouse if you are going to do much work.

Macbook air might be worth looking at - the m2 chips have crazy power to efficiency ratios.

Edit - I currently run a Mac for personal stuff and a surface pro for work. Both have good/bad, but I do like MacOS a bit better.

I use the Surface laptop at work. I like it so much that I've bought my boys the same for college. Maybe a little more spendy but in my mind it is worth it. Give it a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skook

FNG
What's her major? If it's STEM (or related) do not go with Apple products.

Got mine Dell's a couple years ago and they're still using them just fine. About $600 each if I remember right.

Processing speed and memeory is what you're after.
My son graduated two years ago with a BSEE and now works as an engineer, and my daughter will be a junior this year majoring in biomedical engineering. She is currently doing a summer research internship at one of the top hospitals/medical schools in the nation. Both wanted a Macbook Pro, and both of them are still huge fans. My son traveled a lot while in school (student manager for a Division 1 football team), and he took his iPad along on flights , which synced up seamlessly with his Macbook but was more convenient for traveling.

My daughter also uses an iPad, and she once gave me a brief demonstration of how she has her textbooks downloaded onto the cloud and accessible on the iPad, so she doesn't need to carry heavy books or the Macbook around campus in her pack all the time. Also, the note-taking ability using a stylus (pen) on the iPad is very cool, too. Some professors use a program that she can sync to that makes accessing all of their materials very seamless, but my guess is that works with a PC, too.

The ability to move between using her iPhone, iPad and Macbook to do whatever she wants is really convenient, and she has it down to a science.

My kids took, or are taking, all the undergrad math, physics, chemistry, engineering, etc., and you couldn't get them to trade their Macbooks and iPads for PCs if you tried.

My guess is that PCs and Macs work great no matter the major. It's just personal preference.

My son graduated two years ago with a BSEE and now works as an engineer, and my daughter will be a junior this year majoring in biomedical engineering. She is currently doing a summer research internship at one of the top hospitals/medical schools in the nation. Both wanted a Macbook Pro, and both of them are still huge fans. My son traveled a lot while in school (student manager for a Division 1 football team), and he took his iPad along on flights , which synced up seamlessly with his Macbook but was more convenient for traveling.

My daughter also uses an iPad, and she once gave me a brief demonstration of how she has her textbooks downloaded onto the cloud and accessible on the iPad, so she doesn't need to carry heavy books or the Macbook around campus in her pack all the time. Also, the note-taking ability using a stylus (pen) on the iPad is very cool, too. Some professors use a program that she can sync to that makes accessing all of their materials very seamless, but my guess is that works with a PC, too.

The ability to move between using her iPhone, iPad and Macbook to do whatever she wants is really convenient, and she has it down to a science.

My kids took, or are taking, all the undergrad math, physics, chemistry, engineering, etc., and you couldn't get them to trade their Macbooks and iPads for PCs if you tried.

My guess is that PCs and Macs work great no matter the major. It's just personal preference.

Macs have come a long way in compatability with MS applications that most techy businesses and industries use. In the past, not so much.

I used to work with some engineers that were Apple people, but our work stuff was all Microsoft driven on HP's, Dells, etc.

Fire power

Lil-Rokslider
Macs have come a long way in compatability with MS applications that most techy businesses and industries use. In the past, not so much.

I used to work with some engineers that were Apple people, but our work stuff was all Microsoft driven on HP's, Dells, etc.
Mac phones are great but on computer, Mac are the worse and i honestly see them as unfriendly to users.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
While I personally use a windows laptop, a MacBook Air with M1 chip is the best bang for the buck.

Avoid Chromebooks as the are intended to be disposable and stop working a set amount of time after manufactur date.

With the M1 chips, the only reason to get a MacBook Pro is if she expects to do heavy video editing or needs a specific feature.

Get her a subscription to Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat, both make college easier.