Day pack for NL moose hunt

Hey all. I have booked a moose hunt with A1 Hunts in NL for the 3rd week of Sept 2020. I currently have a Badlands Superday pack which I have used for whitetail hunting in the hills of southern Ohio. I have never used a pack with a frame. I know in NL we will be hiking for miles through bogs and climbing hills during the hunt, so I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better served by going with pack and frame. I will be carrying rain gear, extra socks, gloves, midlayer clothing, water, rifle, ammo, binoculars, headlamp and food for snacks and lunch.
My typical whitetail hunts are typically shorter than a mile in our out. If you recommend a pack and frame, which one? I do plan to do an elk hunt in the future, and then bear.

7mmremmag

Lil-Rokslider
The extra support and capability of a frame pack is nice, even as a day pack. I use a Stone Glacier Avail that I put their X-Curve Frame as a day pack. I also use that frame with a large myog pack for longer backpack hunts.

Welcome. No experience in that area or moose hunting, sadly but I will offer a general thought. For a typical daypack load of 15-20# or less, I find a frameless pack o be fine. If I want to haul something - meat, stand, heavier gear - then I use a pack with a frame. My daypack / hauler of choice is a mystery ranch pop up. Currently the 38 liter version. It is a neat little “transformer” that is more or less daypack size but an expandable frame that can haul a decent load when needed. The downside is it is a bit more bulky and heavier than a frameless pack. It also costs +$300 so you pay for the added function.

Unless you are going to make a habit of hauling weight, I would stay with a light, frameless pack. It is cheaper, lighter and more comfortable.

carmanusa

FNG
Going to 2nd the mystery ranch pop up 38. I’ve run a pintler for a few years and some of their other packs and the 38 would replace my pintler if it needed replacing.

OP
T
Yeah the MR Pop-Up 38 is a framed pack I'm considering. Just not sure I need it for this hunt, if I already have the BL superday.

If it did that pack, I’d take my Kifaru Muskeg. I don’t care if it’s just 20#’s I’ll take that pack, it’s nice not having pressure on your shoulders. I’ve got a 5k & 7k would probably use the 5. But 7 wouldn’t bother me, it compresses to nothing.

Trial153

WKR
This year I used a MR pintler and may dad used a pop up 18, we hauled out Caribou and moose. Personally I would look at something about 2k-3k size with a frame. Even though I am forced to go guided in NL I always pack out my own kills, your guide will welcome the help for sure.

If you’re not packing meat, you’re super day is perfectly fine for the task.

I’ve used mine everywhere from Alaska to Greenland over the past 20 years. For a pack with no frame, it handles moderate weight very well. I’ve done a couple of early-season three night hunts out of it with no complaints.

I’ve got a pop-up 28 and I Seek Outside Unaweep 4800 that I use if I need to pack meat. I’ve packed a couple of boned out deer in my badlands super day and didn’t find it impossible with 50 to 60 pounds in it but I wouldn’t want to make a regular habit of it.