NL 10 vs EL 12 if you had to choose one

For anyone that looks this up in a future case. I had a chance to stop by BlackOvis today in Salt Lake City and try out the EL 10 x 42s, NL 10 x 42s, and NL 12 x 42s. I Started with the 12 x 42s as to not have a bias about shakiness coming from viewing the 10x's. My biggest concern on the 12x42's was the shaking. I confirmed that to be correct. The shakiness wasn’t awful, but it was more than I wanted for a handheld binocular. I tried them on the tripod and they were excellent. I ruled them out due to the shakiness as I’m looking for a chest Bino at this point. kudos to those of you who can handhold them. Between the NL and EL: after some looking and switching back-and-forth I found the NL‘s to be the winner. There ergonomics were slightly better and the glass was out ahead. I noticed their image to be brighter, and crisper. The field of view is noticeable as well. The glass isn't night and day better, but it’s better. Like many say we pay a lot for small differences in this game. Electing to go with the NL 10x42's at this point. Can’t say enough good things about the BlackOvis shop in Salt Lake City. If anybody’s needing gear and is nearby to stop by and purchase direct from them. @ehuffaker is the sales manager down there. He will make sure you have an awesome experience!

Last edited:

Hnthrdr

WKR
For anyone that looks this up in a future case. I had a chance to stop by BlackOvis today in Salt Lake City and try out the EL 10 x 42s, NL 10 x 42s, and NL 12 x 42s. I Started with the 12 x 42s as to not have a bias about shakiness coming from viewing the 10x's. My biggest concern on the 12x42's was the shaking. I confirmed that to be correct. The shakiness wasn’t awful, but it was more than I wanted for a handheld binocular. I tried them on the tripod and they were excellent. I ruled them out due to the shakiness as I’m looking for a chest Bino at this point. kudos to those of you who can handhold them. Between the NL and EL: after some looking and switching back-and-forth I found the NL‘s to be the winner. There ergonomics were slightly better and the glass was out ahead. I noticed their image to be brighter, and crisper. The field of view is noticeable as well. The glass isn't night and day better, but it’s better. Like many say we pay a lot for small differences in this game. Electing to go with the NL 10x42's at this point. Can’t say enough good things about the BlackOvis shop in Salt Lake City. If anybody’s needing gear and is nearby to stop by and purchase direct from them. @ehuffaker is the sales manager down there. He will make sure you have an awesome experience!
The headrest for the 12’s is an absolute game changer for handholding them.

Hotmail

FNG
I’ve got the NL 12x42, NL 8x32, and EL 10x42. For tripod glassing, I wouldn’t get rid of the 12’s to replace with 10s, with magnification outweighing type. In fact, I’m getting rid of the 10’s, although they were my “one for all occasions” until the NLs came out.
I was gonna buy Kens Zeiss Victory 8x32s he posted for dirt cheap at $1350 and they sold just recently but was too late so ended up having to buy NL Pure 8x42s and 12x42s. Hoping to receive them sometime next week.

I didn't want the buy 8x32 NL Pures due their narrower FOV at 450 FT vs 477 FT with the larger 42s. Ken's Zeiss was right in between these FOV. Their warranty and CS why I had been hesitant in buying Zeiss brand.

I might consider a 10x32 NL Pure next if they're considerably better than my KOWA Genesis Prominar XD 10x33s with fluorite glass. In the mean time I saved some money by buying a Japan made Maven B3 10x30 that's lighter than my KOWA and supposed to be better than the similarly priced Chinese Nikon Monarch M7 or 7 series.

I think Ken may want a lower powered bins for better depth of field. I personally think the 12x42 NL Pures gonna be a one and done in regards to tripod glassing and the 8x42s perfect for both tripod and somewhat for hand held with the optional forehead rest just their weight may be tiring.

May not be true Alphas but I've glassed nearly all day with my Leupold BX5s in 15x56s with surprisingly no fatigue at least with my second one as well as with my Maven B5 18x56s. Have a SIG 11x45 genuine poor man's Maven B2s hopefully inbound sometime next week as well supposed to be at least noticeably better than the Razor UHDs.

And probably be buying whatever Ken decides to buy too if I don't already have it after seeing what didn't make him happy which he had already sold.

gringo76

FNG
I have used the the pure NL’s in 8x32, and 8x42as well as the EL’s in 8x32 and 8x42, but not the 10x50. The one difference I noticed between the lines is that the NL’s have more contrast and pop in the image, they really grab you, IME. Not sure if it is coatings or optical design, but it seems like a clear upgrade to me. The NL’s are very bright, in fact the 8x42 is almost eye-strain bright for me sunny mid-day. The FOV on the 10x42 is also probably much larger than the 10x50 EL. However I think if you are spending this much, it’s worth traveling somewhere you can try them yourself.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I was gonna buy Kens Zeiss Victory 8x32s he posted for dirt cheap at $1350 and they sold just recently but was too late so ended up having to buy NL Pure 8x42s and 12x42s. Hoping to receive them sometime next week.

I didn't want the buy 8x32 NL Pures due their narrower FOV at 450 FT vs 477 FT with the larger 42s. Ken's Zeiss was right in between these FOV. Their warranty and CS why I had been hesitant in buying Zeiss brand.

I might consider a 10x32 NL Pure next if they're considerably better than my KOWA Genesis Prominar XD 10x33s with fluorite glass. In the mean time I saved some money by buying a Japan made Maven B3 10x30 that's lighter than my KOWA and supposed to be better than the similarly priced Chinese Nikon Monarch M7 or 7 series.

I think Ken may want a lower powered bins for better depth of field. I personally think the 12x42 NL Pures gonna be a one and done in regards to tripod glassing and the 8x42s perfect for both tripod and somewhat for hand held with the optional forehead rest just their weight may be tiring.

May not be true Alphas but I've glassed nearly all day with my Leupold BX5s in 15x56s with surprisingly no fatigue at least with my second one as well as with my Maven B5 18x56s. Have a SIG 11x45 genuine poor man's Maven B2s hopefully inbound sometime next week as well supposed to be at least noticeably better than the Razor UHDs.

And probably be buying whatever Ken decides to buy too if I don't already have it after seeing what didn't make him happy which he had already sold.
You realize that FOV difference is basically 2 arm spans on each side at ONE THOUSAND yards… that’s going to be tough for any human to see a difference.

I agree, 12's seem like they are a one and done on a tripod. I do carry a spotter, so for my style and budget (at this point) I cant see packing 8's, 12's, and a spotter. 12's and a spotter dont make sense, 12's arent quite powerful enough for LONG distance glassing, and they arent steady enough for me for handheld glassing.

I purchased some inexpensive vortex 15x56's about 2 years back. My thought was: pack 10's, 15's, and a spotter. What happened was, I didnt even pack the spotter or the 15's. I have been forcing myself this year to pack all three. What i noticed was that there isnt enough benefit between 15's and a spotter to justify both. Just one or the other. I had to be realistic with myself in what I was actually going to carry into the field. Glassing is like many other things in life; if its easy to do you are likely to do more of it. Having a system that you know well and are PROFICIENT in, is where the advantage comes in.

everyones eyes are different. i own 2021 and 2022 el 10x42 and el 12x50 and have looked thru the 10x and 12x nl's and just can't see any better optical quality and certainly nothing anywhere near worth the upcharge, and a bit more fov isn't either. nor am i concerned that much about a few ounces in weight difference. im keeping my el's. i also have el 8x32 as well as slchd 10x40 and several pairs of Leica ultravid hd bins. really not sure what the rave is on the nl's for 99% of hunters anywhere for what, a 1% better optical difference at best?

It's fun to overthink these things and I love good glass and plan to collect them all.

But 10x42s and a high quality 65 mm spotter are hard to beat for a western hunting system. There's a reason that's why I started there. 10 years ago for my eyes this was the SLC and ATX. The NLs likely beat the SLC now unless you have very narrow IPD.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Lots of tinkers with gear on this site, it is fun to overthink these things for sure

slc's have their place too as they use a specific glass coatings color spectrum to highlight "game" brownish coloration over the surrounding greenery in many hunting environments. built specific for hunting applications vs the "birder" requirements.

Hnthrdr

WKR
What else you gonna do till scouting season gets here!
This is true! But once you find what works for you it is pretty nice, going to be using the NL 12’s & ATC combo for all rifle hunting for the foreseeable future, archery hunting I have a pair of 8x razors that are plenty good for timber hunting

Tahoe1305

WKR
I own the 8x32, 8x42 and the 12x42 NL Pure binoculars and I think each of them work great for different situations. I love the 8x42s for early morning and late evening glassing and I like the 12's for glassing mid day into pockets and cover; the 8x32s are a great chest harness binocular. If I had to pick one swaro bino to rule them all I would pick the 8x42s for there superior light gathering ability and for there excellent field of view. With that being said, I find that the 12's are really great for summer scouting. I am still working on my field test and review of the 12x42s but if you are interested here is my 8x32/ 8X42 Comparison.

I have so much stuff I’m working on. I just recently purchased every compact spotter I could find and I want to test them all out and see how they perform in the field. I’m thinking about breaking down one at a time and then breaking them out by cost and performance rather than just reviewing everything at once; you just can’t compare a ATC/STC to a vortex razor, Leupold or maven. The only real comparison is the Kowa 553/554. Haha I’m also trying to die my traps this spring and get in a little spring bear hunting so we will see…what about you?
I kept the vortex over the ATC. Swaro was better but not worth 3x the cost. And vortex was 1/2lb lighter. For what you are actually using it for (likely confirming some details and not extensive scanning) I think the vortex provides all that’s needed. It’s lacking in nice things like smooth zoom and focus. Center resolution was same.

The Kowa 55 we had struggled and wasn’t preferred. Eyebox too tight and very narrow FOV.

Link to fairly objective comparison of all a bit higher up in thread. 10x vs 12x info in there too